What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whom could have predicted this?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yea

the Brisbane dugongs ... 🙄
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
You're an idiot
That doesn't address the argument. . .
The NRL got everything right they should have got right ,
the correct bid was chosen, the correct emblem on the correct bid as well.
Elaborate. Explain why they got everything right.

If you can do it without an appeal to tradition and with data or precedent to back your points up then you'll have changed my mind.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That doesn't address the argument. . .

If you can do it without an appeal to tradition and with data or precedent to back your points up then you'll have changed my mind.
There is no precedent in rugby league for a non geographically identified brand, in fact all the games leaders ever talk about is tribalism, which we know is mostly geographically attached. only time will tell now if a generic brand club can be succesful. The positives are we have a big rugby league mad city with only one current club so you’d hope there’s going to be lots of rl fans ready to jump on board the dolphins regardless of name.

ive stated my reasons ad- nauseum

a financial powerhouse , in a population growth corridor with a strong brand as an emblem

yea
stupid decision eh 🙄

mongoose

Coach
I just hope they get enough fans to Suncorp. One of the main criteria for a 2nd Brisbane club should have been to utilise Suncorp. I know everyone here is anti-AFL but something like what that game has in Perth or Adelaide is what you want the NRL to have in Brisbane, 2 largish teams playing out of central stadium. We didn't wait 20+ years for a 2nd club in Brisbane to be QLD's version of Manly or Cronulla. Anyway I am positive about the Dolphins and excited for 2023.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
'Dolphins' isn't the sum and parts of the brand, and no matter how much some may wish to pretend otherwise it's impossible to separate it from the other facets of the Redcliffe Dolphins brand. Which, BTW, is why people are arguing over the geographical name at all.

Also, this mythologizing that Dolphins is some irreplaceable brand that holds universal appeal is absolute nonsense. They could have adopted any number of aquatic/semi-aquatic animals of similar cultural and regional relevance for their NRL side (if that's the route they chose to go) and it would have worked fine. Dugongs, whales, sea lions, turtles, rays, octopus, etc, etc, the list is honestly endless.
Yeah because the Brisbane Dugongs, Whales, Sea Lions, Turtles, Rays, Octopus are recognised RL brands in the Brisbane market stretching back to the 40's. So much salt about the best bid winning the NRL licence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah because the Brisbane Dugongs, Whales, Sea Lions, Turtles, Rays, Octopus are recognised RL brands in the Brisbane market stretching back to the 40's. So much salt about the best bid winning the NRL licence.
but was it the best bid, or the bid news ltd preferred? We know how much influence news still has over the game, and end of day he who pays the piper and all that. Maybe the firehawks would have been the better option but created too much competition for the broncos? I guess we will never know. The firehawks mentioned how surprised they were that ad excision was made after just a one hour meeting,

anyway decisions now made, let’s hope the dolphins make the right decisions and the non broncos side of brisbane get behind them.

but was it the best bid, or the bid news ltd preferred? We know how much influence news still has over the game, and end of day he who pays the piper and all that. Maybe the firehawks would have been the better option but created too much competition for the broncos? I guess we will never know. The firehawks mentioned how surprised they were that ad excision was made after just a one hour meeting,

anyway decisions now made, let’s hope the dolphins make the right decisions and the non broncos side of brisbane get behind them.
it was the best bid
anyone who thinks differently is a clown .... don't make me get the picture out again 😆

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Yes, the financials of all the bids were made pretty clear and Redcliffe were the best. Firehawks had an amazing bid and would have done well but they were up against a powerhouse. Redcliffe have been preparing for this for more than a decade.

flippikat

Bench
Lets hope not
Exactly.

Let's give the Broncos/Titans/Dolphins 3-way SEQ rivalry time to embed before we even think about chucking another team in the mix there.

Perth makes the most sense as team 18 BY FAR, due to the timezone & sheer population size.

Latest posts