What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's afraid of the AFL, asks Titans boss Michael Searle

magic_johnson!

Juniors
You can always visit sunny Brisbane sometime and see it for yourself. That's if you ever leave your house and take a break from posting about AFL on a RL forum ;-)
Went up to sunny Brisbane the other week to see the cats play the lions. Wore my cats jumper into the city and got no less than 6 people shouting out football related comments to me. Strolled to the Gabba and took my seat in a stadium alongside 33,000 other people.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Went up to sunny Brisbane the other week to see the cats play the lions. Wore my cats jumper into the city and got no less than 6 people shouting out comments to me. Strolled to the Gabba and took my seat in a stadium alongside 33,000 other people.

And the same number probably watched the game on TV up there. :lol:

Now f**k off back to Big Footy.

that to, but as i said with the figures for crowds, also consider all the beer drank, food consumed, footy records sold, merchandise sold, each person on average would spend around $10/$20 dollars while they're at the game, its a hell of a lot of money.

if you are for any one moment suggesting the lions are anywhere near the broncos in terms of support, then you are delusional.

and secondly, if you think the gabba is anywhere near as good as suncorp stadium (a noted world class ground by anyone who knows anything about stadiums) then you need to be shot...your defective genes cannot be allowed to spread.

Also if you think ratings dont come first then you are an idiot.

Thirdly, the Lions averaged 29.1k in 2009....the Broncos averaged 35.5K.
IN the Lions best year of 2004 they averaged 33k. The broncos averaged 31k that year. Remember that the Broncos fell from a PRE SUPER LEAGUE era high of 37k to under 20k at the delapitated and grossly unsuited ANZ stadium in Brisbane. They have done well to come back to close to that now.

The Lions support is largely attributed to migrated victorians.

Lions info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Lions

Broncos info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Broncos_Stadiums

Say what you like, but the Lions will never get a 50k+ crowd. And they will never sell out a game in around 5 minutes like we do at origin.

The Lions best years coincided with the broncos worst years and superleague. Look at the papers - its 90-10 in favor of rl.

AFL is a distant second. A dot on the horizon. A lot of hype and paid content does not make up for that - no where near enough.

You are full of sh*t, inatentcity; a fool for thinking we'd buy your crap. And braindead for believing your own hype. Suck a lemon.

BTW, the broncos are consistently rated australias largest and most popular sporting team.

Last edited:
Pubes

More ignorant rubbish.

The AFL have a massive warchest because they secured decent TV rights deals - and they run their game to benefit the game NOT a media company.

kevin Sheedy said last night that they have $200 million to devote to AFL in Sydney.

Should we be concerned in rugby league? Of course we should. The genius that runs rugby league, David "Murdoch" Gallop won't commit to expansion and wants to maintain a salary cap that is a joke in professional sport. the last Tv rights deal deprived the game of significant cash to expand and better itself. The next shining light genius of rugby league is Michael "Centre of Excellence" Searle - and we'll know more about this in weeks to come.

Paranoia serves no purpose. But simply stating "we have no fear" is just plain dumb.

dont talk to me, you are a bofoon.

pubes....yeah, how old would you be to use that language.

look dipsh*t, give your mum a kiss for me, and smack her ass twice.

once for some feel, and the second because she raised you, a total twit.

yeah....we have wealth in the family.....and look pal, our probs are just as bad as anyone elses. Money may open doors, but it doesnt really do too much sh*t, if you take my meaning. it has no effect on how people feel, how they act usually.

Money is money. Its a tool. But emotions are a different kettle of fish.

If they think we are going to want to watch Israel long enough to fall in love with their game, then they are deluded. The kids as well....a passing fad. The conversion rate will be similar to Christians door knocking.....

I don't buy any of the afl bull sh*t, and nor should you. I am not scared, and neither is searle, and many other people. I never said do nothing. I just said "dont piss your pants."

There will be a time when RL overtakes AFL in more key indicator areas than it has already.

Sorry if your meaning that either Fremantle or West Coast are in debt then I will have to correct you, they are extremely sound clubs financially. West Coast in particular make million dollar profits each year despite having to pay to WAFL something around $2mil a year.

ok thanks. must have been the western bulldogs.

it changes from year to year.

sometimes it pays to lose a match toward the end, you know.....

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
dont talk to me, you are a bofoon.

pubes....yeah, how old would you be to use that language.

look dipsh*t, give your mum a kiss for me, and smack her ass twice.

once for some feel, and the second because she raised you, a total twit.

yeah....we have wealth in the family.....and look pal, our probs are just as bad as anyone elses. Money may open doors, but it doesnt really do too much sh*t, if you take my meaning. it has no effect on how people feel, how they act usually.

Money is money. Its a tool. But emotions are a different kettle of fish.

If they think we are going to want to watch Israel long enough to fall in love with their game, then they are deluded. The kids as well....a passing fad. The conversion rate will be similar to Christians door knocking.....

I don't buy any of the afl bull sh*t, and nor should you. I am not scared, and neither is searle, and many other people. I never said do nothing. I just said "dont piss your pants."

There will be a time when RL overtakes AFL in more key indicator areas than it has already.

Pubes

Pretty strong abuse. I haven't felt this affronted since the last time I was slapped with a wet lettuce.

Fact is - despite the tough talk, Searle is an idiot if he isn't sh*tting himself. Searle is sitting on a debt-laden Centre of Excrements. AFL are about to waltz in with a fortune, with Gary Ablett at the fore - and this will be real threat and distraction.

AF L has the money, the drive and has its game as the focus - not a media company's profits.

Pubes

Pretty strong abuse. I haven't felt this affronted since the last time I was slapped with a wet lettuce.

Fact is - despite the tough talk, Searle is an idiot if he isn't sh*tting himself. Searle is sitting on a debt-laden Centre of Excrements. AFL are about to waltz in with a fortune, with Gary Ablett at the fore - and this will be real threat and distraction.

AF L has the money, the drive and has its game as the focus - not a media company's profits.

Wow just WOW..makes me want to watch fumbleball.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The people of the GC and GWS have all seen AFL before and have had every chance to follow the sport if they wanted to given the close proximity of the Lions and Swans respectively. Fact is they dont, for many reasons, so why would putting teams in their back pocket make a lick of difference? Would they suddenly realise that the game isnt the toilet they thought it was? Pffft please

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Wow just WOW..makes me want to watch fumbleball.

Point is - the AFL will move mountains and buy loyalty if they have to. They've got one thing we don't - MOUNTAINS of cash and 100% drive by management. It's dumb to underestimate this.

Imagine AFL watching rugby league and seeing:
  • undersold TV rights costing the game a fortune
  • Media company sucking millions per annum out of the game
  • Clubs damaged by salary cap breaches which, overall, are pretty minor;
  • The same media company ripping into its own clubs to sell its own papers.
Rugby league is setting itself up to be exploited. and - it's happening.

Point is - the AFL will move mountains and buy loyalty if they have to. They've got one thing we don't - MOUNTAINS of cash and 100% drive by management. It's dumb to underestimate this.

Imagine AFL watching rugby league and seeing:
  • undersold TV rights costing the game a fortune
  • Media company sucking millions per annum out of the game
  • Clubs damaged by salary cap breaches which, overall, are pretty minor;
  • The same media company ripping into its own clubs to sell its own papers.
Rugby league is setting itself up to be exploited. and - it's happening.

But you are missing the point...
If people have seen your product & either hate it or are not interested....then how do you buy loyalty?

Its not like the people on the coast & WS havnt had a chance to watch AFL....
Point is you can throw all the money you want at it ...but a sh*t product is still a sh*t product...

Jamberoo

Juniors
Market forces will decide if NRL gets more cash for TV rights than AFL, not posters on forums.
NRL is the better TV product.

If Searle is right, NRL should get over $1Billion.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Market forces will decide if NRL gets more cash for TV rights than AFL, not posters on forums.
NRL is the better TV product.

If Searle is right, NRL should get over $1Billion.

Seriously, who the f**k is Searle?

His old man apparently was an ARL good ol' boy - as was Paul Broughton, another ARL good ol' boy - which got Gold Coast an NRL licence. That said, what the hell has he had to do with the game in the last 10 years?

Why has this no name suddenly become the "go to" man for rugby league?

Let's see how the whole Titans' financial stuff and "Centre of Excellence" pans out before we start anointing him the new Messiah.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Went up to sunny Brisbane the other week to see the cats play the lions. Wore my cats jumper into the city and got no less than 6 people shouting out football related comments to me. Strolled to the Gabba and took my seat in a stadium alongside 33,000 other people.

Sure you did champ.

Mad Fish

Juniors
ok thanks. must have been the western bulldogs.

it changes from year to year.

sometimes it pays to lose a match toward the end, you know.....

Yes traditionally North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne have been the weaker Victorian based clubs financially, Port Adelaide are also at the bottom of the pile. Although it should be said these clubs still turn over a huge amount of money, they are no where near the level of the Fitzroy of the 90s.

Yes at the moment I would have thought Carlton fans would be rather happy they werent so successful a few years back. It is a problem that needs addressing, something along the lines of a NBA lottery system for the bottom teams would suit.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If people have seen your product & either hate it or are not interested....then how do you buy loyalty?

Point is you can throw all the money you want at it ...but a sh*t product is still a sh*t product...

There are many Homer Simpsons in this world...

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a
charm.
Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

RaAhBBk4Tkcmrvp0x9AdgcVpo1_500.jpg

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
There are many Homer Simpsons in this world...

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a
charm.
Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

RaAhBBk4Tkcmrvp0x9AdgcVpo1_500.jpg
That is superb.

Yes traditionally North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne have been the weaker Victorian based clubs financially, Port Adelaide are also at the bottom of the pile. Although it should be said these clubs still turn over a huge amount of money, they are no where near the level of the Fitzroy of the 90s.

Yes at the moment I would have thought Carlton fans would be rather happy they werent so successful a few years back. It is a problem that needs addressing, something along the lines of a NBA lottery system for the bottom teams would suit.

take your concerns to bigfooty, dipsh*t.....like i give a f**k

thats right, read it again.

they could all go broke....how about falou subsidise them.....big turnover, get farked.....they all want to move, but no where to go.

canberra rejected one, hell even hawthorn goto tasmania of all places.

now listen, i dont care about afl, i am not worried, they are not a game without problems, and I think they are coming to hard times.

yeah, pal, even millionaires mess it up. if you spend money, you are at risk

If you dont invest money wisely you are at risk, and if you even have money, you are at risk of some f-er taking it from you - all the time....and I think the afl have some poor advise.

they dont walk around with gold wallets down there, and they certainly dont have a bottomless pit. everyone who is scared of the afl (helped along by the media, yes) is misguided.

dont be scared, scared of what? (and no that is not an ignorant question)

Last edited:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

No, mate - you're missing some critical ones.

Tribal loyalty is a massive issue that Murdoch and the other News Limited scum like Gallop don't appreciate. Gallop even said at one time that Bears fans could just find another team to follow. He hasn't got a clue.

If you like any sport and your local area gets a team, chances are you'll get behind it. Sure as hell, your kids will.

If that soprt then has 20 times the money you have, superior juniors/grasroots funding and oprganisation PLUS the game owns itself and grows itself, then that will be a success - even if it takes 5, 10 or 20 years.

And don't just say AFL is a sh*t product. Because there are millions around Australia who disgree and pay big money to prove it.

Point is - if the NRL have the attitude you do (and many of those idiots lie Searle do), then rugby league is in massive trouble.