What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's left to sign?

B-dos

Referee
i noticed you felt compelled to user the sarcasm face mac

im guessing that because without it the joke wouldnt have seemed to far fetched...

Alex28

Coach
No...somebody around here assumed that Eastwood was target B. I'm yet to see anything suggesting we are yet to give up the chase on Eastwood (we might have, but who knows...).

Yosh

Coach
Would it be safer to just resign cross I am sure a 3 year deal on 275k a year would keep him here easily enough???

Too risky if you ask me. Not only will be he be eating his 275k on the operating table but he'll cost the club medical bills we don't have. Not saying that we'll be a whole lot better without him but he is too old, too injury prone and just not worth 275k a year if you ask me.

Alex28

Coach
Would it be safer to just resign cross I am sure a 3 year deal on 275k a year would keep him here easily enough???
How are you sure that he:

a - wants a 3 year contract; and
b - thinks that $275K a year is enough?

My opinion is that three years is too long to commit to, and that he would ignore an offer that low.

perverse

Referee
You can take Matt White off the list now as well - he is going to re-sign with the Coast
Brad Tighe has also re-signed with the Panthers for 2 years.

we're dodging bullets like f**king Neo in The Matrix at the moment. I'm glad we're missing out on all these nuffies... our salary cap money can be put to much better use, even if it's just used to front load contracts. we could end up with a free team in a couple of years time at this rate, lol.

Perth Knights

Juniors
Can't stand Matt White, so I'm glad that he is being resigned by the Gold Coast. Also, happy that we dodged a bullet with Smith. Too old and injury prone.

For me ... I'd go for Eastwood if he hasn't already signed with the dogs for 2011. He may not be the prop that we deperately need but he is a young and capable player who would be a great addition to the Knights. The issue really comes down to whether the release fee should be paid to his current club in order to get him here. The dogs have baulked at the fee but I would love the Knights to be proactive and sign Eastwood from under their noses, inclusive of negotiating a suitable release fee.

Frederick

Staff member
No...somebody around here assumed that Eastwood was target B. I'm yet to see anything suggesting we are yet to give up the chase on Eastwood (we might have, but who knows...).

I couldve sworn I read a news article that said if the Smith saga went on too long that Eastwood was the clubs backup option :-/

macavity

Referee
As much as I would love to be saying otherwise, Eastwood won't happen..... unless something drastic changes.

Yosh

Coach
Brad Tighe has also re-signed with the Panthers for 2 years.

we're dodging bullets like f**king Neo in The Matrix at the moment. I'm glad we're missing out on all these nuffies... our salary cap money can be put to much better use, even if it's just used to front load contracts. we could end up with a free team in a couple of years time at this rate, lol.

LOL:lol:

Hopefully our club will upgrade itself like Neo did. Remember how he doesn't need to dodge bullets anymore? Why do we always get associated with nuffies?

Alex28

Coach
Yup... SBW, Gasnier, O'Donnell... All massive nuffies and all players we were associated with.

I'm yet to read anything suggesting we made Tighe an offer. Just because an agent has said he's talking to the Knights does not mean we were ever going to seriously consider him.

Think before typing Yosh.

Noname36

First Grade
According the Barry Toohey in the Telegraph this morning, we're set to announce the re-signing of Cross. Apparently he's taking a massive pay cut, and is going to re-sign for another year on less than half of his current 270k per year contract (I'm not sure where a lot a lot of us were getting the 400k number from).

stuke

Bench
According the Barry Toohey in the Telegraph this morning, we're set to announce the re-signing of Cross. Apparently he's taking a massive pay cut, and is going to re-sign for another year on less than half of his current 270k per year contract (I'm not sure where a lot a lot of us were getting the 400k number from).

if Cross is going to sign for anything near 135K it must be chock full of incentives.

I can't say I am unhappy with that. He has tried his heart out this year. I am glad he has agreed to take a pay cut. Confirms that Crossy's heart is with the club, and that is always a good thing. He may well have his best footy in front of him now that his future is settled for the short term. He has been very professional in his attitude regarding his future. Noone can argue with that. He has never put the club in negative light except to say he has had to explore his options. He is an example to all the overpayed whingers in the code on how to conduct yourself and realise that a club has to make very tough decisions due to cap restrictions. It is never personal. Dureau is the same in his excellent attitude. He is a young fella who has not quite had the career he had hoped for as yet, but he may yet make us all look like d###heads. I have no issue with that as i am equally happy to be wrong on a player's ability. I am in no way of the view i am an expert. The word 'expert' being biggest myth of a term in media history.

Last edited:

This would be awesome, awesome news. Apart from the fact that Ben Cross for $135K would be the best value signing in the comp, it gives us another 12 months to find a suitable replacement.

Start compiling your lists of props off contract at the end of 2011, gents...

Noname36

First Grade
Next year isn't looking too bad after all...

1. Kidley
2. Uate
3. Doogs/Midley
4. Sau/Likiliki
5. McManus

6. Mullen
7. Henry

8. Cross
9. De Gois
10. Kafusi
11. Taia
12. Costigan
13. Hilder

14. Pato
15. Edwards/Tolar
16. Fass/Tui/Taufua
17. Horo/Mika/KOD

Not too bad. Nev seems to be playing well up front for the Dragons too. Could easily get Pato on the field early and move Nev into the prop rotation.

Serc

First Grade
Wow re: Cross...I'm amazed he isn't going to take up an offer from an ESL club (which would've been for somewhere around $300k you'd think). Well there we go, if he signs then yes that will be a sensational signing for that sort of price.

Who said he was on $400k? lol