What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are centrelink the dumbest organisation on the planet?

Anonymous

Juniors
I was a fulltime student however I had to pull out of my uni course earlier this year due to a death in the family.

Having been at Uni in Canberra, where I know no-one, I was on a reasonable amount of money from Centrelink (read that-enough to keep me eating) but when I withdrew from my course, I notified them that I was no longer a full time student and that I'd no longer need my youth allowance/austudy/whatever payments as I had a part time job for the rest of the year and was living at home. They said this was fine and I was no longer recieving anything.

A week later I recieved a letter saying as I was no longer a full time student I'd been switched to Newstart (which is just the Dole as far as I'm aware) and would need to attend a seminar about how to find work etc. I rang up and explained the situation and the person on the other end of the line told me the mess would be sorted out. Soon after I recieved another letter saying that I'd missed my seminar which I had to attend under the conditions of my payments....

Long story short-Centrelink are stupid.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Chicken_Hunter said:
I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't been screwed around by centrelink
I've never been screwed around by Centrelink. Of course I'm a Kiwi, so they give me red carpet treatment every time. You Australians should just piss off and get jobs. You know Centrelink exists for our benefit, not yours.

sportive cupid

Referee
I haven't been around the last few days and didn't hear about your son Twizzie,So glad to hear everything went well :D

aphelion

Juniors
SpaceMonkey said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't been screwed around by centrelink
I've never been screwed around by Centrelink. Of course I'm a Kiwi, so they give me red carpet treatment every time. You Australians should just piss off and get jobs. You know Centrelink exists for our benefit, not yours.

Haha...all you have to do is be a member of any minority group (hell, just telling them that English isn't your native language is good enough) and the government bends over backwards to help you. So don't go thinking you're special or anything ;-)

I have a Centrelink story as well, which I might as well share since I'm here...

Just before the Olympics I got laid off. After 6-odd weeks of job hunting and coming up empty, I was down to my last $100 (which, put into perspective, is a tank of petrol for the car and food for a week). So I decided to bite the bullet and head down to my local Centrelink.

I went through the registration process, got my Jobseeker diary and all that sort of thing, and was told that I'd have to go to those useless seminars or else they'd cut me off. Fair enough, I thought.

About 2 weeks later I scored myself a job through a mate. I rang my case manager and told her what had happened, and of course she was over the moon as she could use me to pump up her placement numbers without her lifting a finger. They cut off my dole (which I hadn't even started receiving) and told me not to worry about going to any of their seminars.

So, what happens? For the best part of a year thereafter, I regularly receive notices telling me to attend Jobseeker seminars, that I'm on my last warning, and if I don't go, they'll be cutting me off and investigating. It took 2 more phone calls and a trip to their office to tell them, in person, that I've been working for a year, before they finally get the message.

Idiots.

mullet

Juniors
This government keeps taking and taking from those ppl who get off their asses and do something but keep giving and giving to lazy f**ks.

i acknowledge there are ppl out there who are genuine in their attempts in which i ahve no problems but im just frustrated with this piece of shit organisation :evil:

budz

Juniors
Matt23 said:
Telstra are a close second #-o
Bloody oath! Those geese have been screwing us around for ages when it comes to getting ADSL in our area. We were meant to get it months ago! :roll: :roll:

Evilgrowler

First Grade
I was 34 years old when I got a letter from the then DSS stating I had to attend a meeting regarding working for the dole. If I didn't attend, I would've been cut off. So naturally I went along. My wife was in hospital at the time so I had to get a sitter for the boy and pray that I had enough fuel to get to the DSS office in Vic Pk.

The thought of learning new skills was attractive to me and I was more than willing and very curious as to what they had to say. After the meeting, the DSS officer who conducted the meeting came up to me and informed me that the chances of me getting a job placement were minimal to none because I was to old.

Needless to say I express my disappointment in no uncertain terms and demanded the money I had to spend to attend this bullshit meeting. The bloke paid me $40 from his own pocket just to shut me up.

The upside was it inspired me to go into business for myself. Department of Social Security thank you and get f*cked. :arrow:

I have to work for the dole now :lol: It took a few trips to centrelink to tell them how stupid they are before they came up with the solution to make me work for the dole.. I went to centerplace today to see what they had, the lady who organises teh volunteer work wasnt there so i basically wasted a 100km round trip.

KnightSmurf

Juniors
Hey CH ... you can do that at my work

All you have to do is talk to the ressies , go on wheelchair walks to the beachfront, go on any outings we have and sometimes help in the kitchen. :lol:

Latest posts