What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are many Aussies so narrow minded ?

Lemon Squash

First Grade
The term 'Soccer' doesn't bother me at all, I use it regularly depending on who I am discussing the game with.

The people who get narky about it being called Soccer are your typical one-eyed douche bag fans of the game which you guys have referenced previously and I'm not going to imagine don't exist. However on the other foot just like the people who get narky with others referencing and making a big deal about it when they hear others refer to it as Football is just as bad.

Times change though and I think slowly over the years it will more widely be known as Football in this country. It is already becoming much more widely recognised as this than what it was 10+ years ago. I think League and AFL will more take up the term 'footy'.

RoosTah

Juniors
It ain't bloody hard:

AFL (a misnomer but anyway)
League
Union
Football

Where's the confusion?

The confusion comes from the fact that they're all known as "footy/football" as well. The reason is pretty obvious, as their actual full names are:

Australian Football
Rugby League Football
Rugby Union Football
Association Football

As aside for those who don't know, the word "football" is in all their names because in the 19th century it was a shorthand for pretty well all field ball games played "on foot", which distinguished them from the posh games like polo that were on horseback.

So the confusion arises because every code's fans uses footy/football to refer to their sport.

There's only two arguments. You've concocted the rest.

1. Symbolism

The name of the the governing body was changed in 2006 as a clean break from the past of the sport. That it coincided with the A-League's establishment and the 2006 WC also contributed to this symbolism. It sought to break from an era when the sport was derogatorily considered as being just for "Sheilas, W0gs, and twinkies".

It is a shame you have not evolved from that era. Your constant use of "soccer" reveals your desire to continue to see it as the marginalised sport of pre-2005.

2. It's the official name of the sport.

The FOOTBALL Federation of Australia is a member of the Asian FOOTBALL Confederation and the Fédération Internationale de FOOTBALL Association.

I haven't concocted anything - I'm telling you what soccer fans harp on about to me whenever they hear the word "soccer". Maybe the official line is different, but you'd by lying if you said you'd never heard some soccer douche crap on about how "it's played with the feet so it's football not soccer!!"

As for what the "official" name is, as I said before, it's actually "Association Football" - what you've provided is the renamed national body of Australia and some corrupt mafia crowd. In other countries - such as Japan for instance - the national body is the 日本サッカー協会 or Japan Soccer Association.

Mong

Post Whore
LOL

It's just a word bro. Call it soccer if that's what you want to call it, who cares what others call it.

You're embarrassing yourself.

Haffa

To be fair they both are. Sam fighting the "We must call it football" fight, Roostah telling us "it's called soccer".

Pointless arguments.

Mong

Post Whore
Send this sh*t to TFC. It's the exact kind of pointless rubbish they love to bang on about.

t-ba

Post Whore
Rename Association Football Topball. From now on all teams have twelves players on the pitch, including an Apex that may strike but not catch the ball but only inside the oppositions six yard line if no less than three defenders are in the box and an even amount of minutes have been played.

Problem solved.

I use both. Most expatriates in Asia give up on calling soccer anything but football because of the amount of sweaty, smelly pomgolians in the region. Back home it's soccer. I can't stand the 'sokkah players are homos' crap, but I'm just about ready to punch the next genius from England who fails to understand why football is called football in the first place and uses that geniused 'foot' argument.

Rather hilariously the Indonesian name, 'Sepak Bola' translates to 'kick ball' which is perhaps a more accurate name than football...

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
They've realised that a bit of diving seems to help influence the referee. Go with the winner hey...

_snafu_

Immortal
If "football" is preferred over "soccer", then why is he national team called the Socceroos?

Big Sam

First Grade
If "football" is preferred over "soccer", then why is he national team called the Socceroos?

Alliteration. And branding - probably one of the most recognisable National Team nicknames in global football.

RoosTah

Juniors
I use both. Most expatriates in Asia give up on calling soccer anything but football because of the amount of sweaty, smelly pomgolians in the region. Back home it's soccer. I can't stand the 'sokkah players are homos' crap, but I'm just about ready to punch the next genius from England who fails to understand why football is called football in the first place and uses that geniused 'foot' argument.

Rather hilariously the Indonesian name, 'Sepak Bola' translates to 'kick ball' which is perhaps a more accurate name than football...

It is funny how annoyed British expats get when they hear the word "soccer" when you're in Asia. When I lived in Japan I remember one pommy student telling a Japanese girl that they shouldn't call it "sakka-" (soccer) in Japanese because it was "offensive" in "the rest of the world" lol. I think he found it particularly irritating because "football" in Japanese means American Football, and the British hate it when the Americans have more cultural influence than them in any area.

WireMan

Bench
It is funny how annoyed British expats get when they hear the word "soccer" when you're in Asia. When I lived in Japan I remember one pommy student telling a Japanese girl that they shouldn't call it "sakka-" (soccer) in Japanese because it was "offensive" in "the rest of the world" lol. I think he found it particularly irritating because "football" in Japanese means American Football, and the British hate it when the Americans have more cultural influence than them in any area.

Its so lucky you have met someone somewhere for every scenario...

I met an Aussie once who called it football and said rugby fans played a pommy game which was not as good as Aussie rules.
Therefore I've decided you are all like that.

RoosTah

Juniors
Its so lucky you have met someone somewhere for every scenario...

I met an Aussie once who called it football and said rugby fans played a pommy game which was not as good as Aussie rules.
Therefore I've decided you are all like that.

Awesome story dude.