What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are we such an unsuccessful club?

Bay56

First Grade
shear_joy9 said:
I think for once Canberra should use the salary cap properly and buy an established star of the game. A player that will bring the fans to games, and attract the media spotlight.

I'm sick of Canberra grooming promising youngsters that see this club as a stepping stone.

BINGO !!!

I think you will find that the average player at the Raiders gets way above the average wage that the same player could expect at another club.

dubby

Bench
bay I have said before that we have lost players because of the mindset that if you play for Canberra you dont get a rep jersey.

Joel Monas
Brett Finch
Ryan O'Hara
Todd Payton

all left because they thought the club was hampering their rep careers. Joel left for less $$ in a bid to become a rep player and it took Goose Gould to blow wind up Finchs bum on the Sunday Footy SHow to convince him to sign at the Chooks.

I'm glad to see COstigan gain selection for QLD (even tho he's been ordinary since), and it can only be good to have Mal and Henry as coaches of QLD. We will see more QLDers in the SOO series from Canberra next year!

I bet Zilly would have made it except for his injury.

Chachi

Bench
I think the past few seasons have demonstrated the old "Canberra kills your rep career" story is a complete load of bollocks.

The fact we somehow got O'Hara, Mogg and Costigan to origin level defies that logic IMO (considering there have been many players more worthy). Furthermore I'm sure Davico and Carney would have been right in the mix had it not been for injury and suspension.

The majority of guys who have moved on have achieved jack all - except for Finch who must be one of the luckiest players alive to score his two Origin starts.

Bay56

First Grade
dubby said:
bay I have said before that we have lost players because of the mindset that if you play for Canberra you dont get a rep jersey.

Joel Monas
Brett Finch
Ryan O'Hara
Todd Payton

all left because they thought the club was hampering their rep careers. Joel left for less $$ in a bid to become a rep player and it took Goose Gould to blow wind up Finchs bum on the Sunday Footy SHow to convince him to sign at the Chooks.

I'm glad to see COstigan gain selection for QLD (even tho he's been ordinary since), and it can only be good to have Mal and Henry as coaches of QLD. We will see more QLDers in the SOO series from Canberra next year!

I bet Zilly would have made it except for his injury.

Up to a point you are correct dubby ... but it is not the fact that they play for Canberra (the city) but Canberra (the club) due to the fact that we dont have the right connections at the selection table.

Having Henry and Mal in Qld may change that but I would say that had Phil Gould been involved with the Raiders (I know wash my mouth out) we would have had a few Raiders names discussed, and I might say shoved down the throats of those around the selection table.

Raiders management has kept this club behind the eight ball.

ak47

Juniors
Bay56 said:
Now dude can you please explain South Sydney who havent won a premiership in some 35 years ... and when was the last time StG/Ill won a premiership .... and geez the Gold Coast were a real hit while they were around ... and how about Cronulla !!! err when did they win a premierhsip ... err never (maybe too much time laying on the beach huh :lol:)

do I need to continue ??

And Canberra doesnt have long nights and girls ?? (I'll grant you not as many neon lights but who gives a sh*te)

As for those teams, they havent won a premiership - but they have been in a better position than us...dont go with south sydney who were neglected in administration since 1984, until russel came....2 years later Souths are better than us...hmmm??

As for the nightlife - I AGREE CANBERRA NIGHTLIFE IS AWESOME......I COME DOWN MANY A TIMES THRU THE YEAR, AND STAY WEEKENDS AND NOT SLEEP...ACADMEY AND THE LOT ARE RIGHT UP MY CUP OF TEA......IF I HAD TELEPORT, I WOULDNT BE IN KINGS CROSS getting shoved by bulldogs at the bar.

But tell that to the rest of this country that hasnt been and doesnt know.

When i ask mates to come to canberra, we'll watch footy and enjoy a great nightlife....i get cross-eyed looks "what nightlife".......as they dont know!!!.

We did a trip this year for the tiger clash - 6 of us sydneysiders came - and let me tell you they werent disapointed with the nightlife.

Lifestyle is the biggest influence in anyones life.

but I'll counter that top line of premiershipless teams with

Penrith and Canberra are the only 2 teams in the comp without an immediate coastline (no parra & bulldogs can all get to beach access within the hour so dont get picky)

Rith and Raiders have collectively won 5 premierships in the past 27 years.
That leaves 22 for the coastal teams
do the math
dont pick at teams like:
cronulla whom have that unique stat
St/Ill - Still have made more GF's than us since 1992
Gold Coast - didnt exist for 10 years, had bronco power pinching QLD talent
Souths - oh please, the rollercoaster of all sporting teams

We all have opinions........i debate canberra's popluation would be much larger if it had a coastline.

I like Canberra, dont get me wrong.......its a great place.....but the majority of 20-30 year old professional athletes would disagree and that doesnt help us.

doesnt mean we will never win......but it means we have to work harder off the field to attract high profile players.

Would you go move to an unknown place (as in a place u have no idea about or been to)for a mimimal payrise...it would need to be a considerable payrise, and a cap doesnt help that.

We get the last pick of the transfer dregs, because everyone has been snapped by a more viable choice

I am sick to death of losing players cause they find a better haven
I am sick to death of getting our 3rd or 4th choices of new players, because our priorities have chosen a better haven…………….i chose the word haven instead of deal, as deal can be perceived as a money transaction, and its more than just money.

ak47

Juniors
ak47 said:
As for those teams, they havent won a premiership - but they have been in a better position than us...dont go with south sydney who were neglected in administration since 1984, until russel came....2 years later Souths are better than us...hmmm??

As for the nightlife - I AGREE CANBERRA NIGHTLIFE IS AWESOME......I COME DOWN MANY A TIMES THRU THE YEAR, AND STAY WEEKENDS AND NOT SLEEP...ACADMEY AND THE LOT ARE RIGHT UP MY CUP OF TEA......IF I HAD TELEPORT, I WOULDNT BE IN KINGS CROSS getting shoved by bulldogs at the bar.

But tell that to the rest of this country that hasnt been and doesnt know.

When i ask mates to come to canberra, we'll watch footy and enjoy a great nightlife....i get cross-eyed looks "what nightlife".......as they dont know!!!.

We did a trip this year for the tiger clash - 6 of us sydneysiders came - and let me tell you they werent disapointed with the nightlife.

Lifestyle is the biggest influence in anyones life.

but I'll counter that top line of premiershipless teams with

Penrith and Canberra are the only 2 teams in the comp without an immediate coastline (no parra & bulldogs can all get to beach access within the hour so dont get picky)

Rith and Raiders have collectively won 5 premierships in the past 27 years.
That leaves 22 for the coastal teams
do the math
dont pick at teams like:
cronulla whom have that unique stat
St/Ill - Still have made more GF's than us since 1992
Gold Coast - didnt exist for 10 years, had bronco power pinching QLD talent
Souths - oh please, the rollercoaster of all sporting teams

We all have opinions........i debate canberra's popluation would be much larger if it had a coastline.

I like Canberra, dont get me wrong.......its a great place.....but the majority of 20-30 year old professional athletes would disagree and that doesnt help us.

doesnt mean we will never win......but it means we have to work harder off the field to attract high profile players.

Would you go move to an unknown place (as in a place u have no idea about or been to)for a mimimal payrise...it would need to be a considerable payrise, and a cap doesnt help that.

We get the last pick of the transfer dregs, because everyone has been snapped by a more viable choice

I am sick to death of losing players cause they find a better haven
I am sick to death of getting our 3rd or 4th choices of new players, because our priorities have chosen a better haven…………….i chose the word haven instead of deal, as deal can be perceived as a money transaction, and its more than just money.

apologies for my double

ak47

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Honestly, with regards to the night scene, canberra dont promote this enough and make it attractive to young blokes, before going down there and seeing it myself, i would have said its night life sucked, same with my mates

having been there i actually prefer it to sydney as there is more variety and everything is really close by. Where as in Sydney to get from one good joint to another its a bloody 10k hike up hill and you do that to go to essentially the same place, with the same music as you left

canberra is great for variety and its nightlife, they just need to make it known to people my age
BTW some of the chicks down there are ace too, but you can find a good sort at a club anywhere, especially after a 2 or 20 :D

exactly my thoughts, but you wouldnt know if you never go

Canberra's night scene of promoted moderately thru www.inthemix.com.au

I agree though......its not enough, i cant praise the joint enough for a good night out.

Bay56

First Grade
No offence ak47 but your previous post (in reply to mine) is so flawed I'm hardly going to dissect it in detail.

What I will say is that you have conviently chosen dates, times, places and distance from the proverbial light brown sand to suit your arguement.

Lets take your logic re StG ... how about taking your date of 1992 back three years to 1989 and now lets see how your arguement stands the test.

Your logic would indicate that Cronulla should have won a premiership every second year ... but you want to leave that club out of the equation.

Same with South Sydney ... a very poorly administered club until recently.

C'mon mate ... no offence but your logic flys in the face of common sense.

ak47

Juniors
Bay56 said:
No offence ak47 but your previous post (in reply to mine) is so flawed I'm hardly going to dissect it in detail.

What I will say is that you have conviently chosen dates, times, places and distance from the proverbial light brown sand to suit your arguement.

Lets take your logic re StG ... how about taking your date of 1992 back three years to 1989 and now lets see how your arguement stands the test.

Your logic would indicate that Cronulla should have won a premiership every second year ... but you want to leave that club out of the equation.

Same with South Sydney ... a very poorly administered club until recently.

C'mon mate ... no offence but your logic flys in the face of common sense.

I admit, I conveniently chose those dates, because you conveniently chose those teams that haven’t won since 1994

Its frustrating, we both agree on that.

dubby

Bench
Fair enough Chachi, but you could argue that Mogg and Costigan are Qlders who have a smaller pool of players and it was due to Mal that we seen Mogg selected.

Bay56

First Grade
ak47 said:
I admit, I conveniently chose those dates, because you conveniently chose those teams that haven’t won since 1994

Its frustrating, we both agree on that.

Dude I didnt choose any teams conveniently ... I chose a number of teams that are near as damit on the beach front and havent had a great deal of success when compared to us . I could have included a number of other teams who have equally had mixed fortunes over the years such as the Cowboys.

The fact is you can use those sorts of stats to "prove" anything you want.

The bottom line for me is that success starts at the top, decisions made in the boardroom will determine whether this club holds up another trophy NOT it proximity to the beach.

taffy

Juniors
Matt Elliot was the problem, how many players left canberra for other clubs while he was in charge... and now he's doin it at Penrith who had one of the best playing rosters in the league.
Give Henry a chance for he has to rebuild what Elliot has done.

Chachi

Bench
dubby said:
Fair enough Chachi, but you could argue that Mogg and Costigan are Qlders who have a smaller pool of players and it was due to Mal that we seen Mogg selected.
That's exactly what I'm saying! Those guys got selected in large due to our connection with the QLD coaches. Schifcofske was unfortunate in coming through at the same time as a million other great fullbacks, but Costigan and Mogg hardly had years of form on the board before their selection.
If I was a promising Queenslander coming through, the Raiders would be at the top of my list.

ak47

Juniors
Bay56 said:
The bottom line for me is that success starts at the top, decisions made in the boardroom will determine whether this club holds up another trophy NOT it proximity to the beach.

but I am saying WHY we cannot sign STAR MARQUEE PLAYERS

IMO Canberra is not as viable option as Melbourne……… in reply to the first post.

We as a club have the hardest task in the comp to sign big name stars – FACT

I am trying to explain some factors that contribute to this issue.

Lifestyle is one of them

Chachi

Bench
Hardly an exodus. 90% of it was a club instigated clean out.

Schifcofske, Nathan Smith and Mogg are the only players you could argue left because of Elliott's departure - and I bet it wasn't even a factor in Mogg leaving considering he wanted to return to us earlier this season.

Croker was always going to retire to the ESL.
Woolford, J. Smith, Kahler and Martin were all (thankfully) released by the club in decisions which had nothing to do with Elliott.
Hodgson simply got a better offer to finish his career - hardly sad.
Ale was released as a shadow of a player he could have been.

Lomu, Frawley, Dunemann, Irwin and Pamatangi were all released after Henry arrived and I'll bet my bottom dollar that not one tear was shed around here in any of these cases.

dubby

Bench
Dunemann would have come in handy with Dobbo's form.

But I agree with you on Lomu/Frawley/Pamatangi.

I would have liked to see Irwin given a run, he couldnt have been worse than Kelly or Cross on the wings.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Irwin is quite a handy player actually.

Shame he had to go, but his attitude sounds like it was a problem.

Latest posts