What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Cant We Have 4 New Teams In 2013

Western_Eel

Juniors
If i had to choose 2 new teams for 2013, I couldn't do it, Do you pick Perth over Gosford? Or another south Queensland team over another NZ team, i couldn't pick it, so if they are all going to work, why not have them all in!, its 4 locations where the people love rugby league, and all 4 loctions would work, then if sharks don't fix them selves they should move to either Darwin or Adelaide, (which i think would be the next 2 city's to look at)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Perth over Gosford yeah but I can't see them admitting just one team, both in at the same time. Next after that would be SEQ or CQ along with a Wellington team.

Darwin and Adelaide = 2030.

Fantastic post GB! you mental giant..

We need enough quality players available for however many teams come into the NRL. Bears on the CC needs to be the immediate priority

t-ba

Post Whore
We're going to the Sunshine Coast in a decade or so. Don't know where the other clubs are going to go, but there'll be some casualties before the end of the next decade.

skeepe

Immortal
Perth and SE Queensland. I would have thought it was obvious. Gosford have shown that they don't want a team, and I really don't know why we'd go to NZ again over an Australian area that's crying out for it.

beave

Coach
TBH, we are lucky to have 2 out of the 4 expansion teams still in the comp, both the Warriors and the Cows are were financial basket cases and only through good management later on in the piece that they are still standing. I think if there's any lesson to be learnt, it is that expansion has to be done gradually and not in one great big shot. Although the superleague dramas were a major contributing factor to both those before mentioned clubs knocking on deaths door, I know for a fact the Cows were in financial $hit from day dot and the only reason they signed with the break away league was to ensure their survival into the future.

IMO I think the Perth team has to be the next team into the comp. It provides a live game into the 9:30 timeslot on saturdays, and after going by last nights crowd, there is enough interest in the game. I think if ME stadium gets a bit of a tart up, ie take the capacity up to 25k, I think the NRL would be bananas to ignore this market.

Flapper

First Grade
Perth have to be next, Gosford just aren't showing enough interest. If they were keen they would've made an effort last night.

Timmah

Staff member
Ugh. One game and Perth are showing interest? Does that mean we ignore crowds of 15k, 18k, 19k that Gosford has managed in recent years?

skeepe

Immortal
Ugh. One game and Perth are showing interest? Does that mean we ignore crowds of 15k, 18k, 19k that Gosford has managed in recent years?

Perth have been showing interest for longer than just one game. Do try to keep up.

GB!

Juniors
lol
early morning fishing was good!

i don't really think those teams should go (well maybe sharkies), but if we really wanted to be the 'NATIONAL' Rugby League we need to go national & make it work.

as a manly fan i'd hate to see my team go under or relocate, but in all honesty Sydney really only needs 4 teams - north, east, south & west (maybe 5 teams?)
4 Qld teams, Melb & Canberra thats 10 teams.
NZ = 11 teams.
bring in CC,
bring back Illawara, Perth, Adelaide.

there we have National Rugby League

Timmah

Staff member
Gosford's had to sustain crowds for teams not local to them for four games already this season, this is Perth's first taste of premiership RL in 3 or 4 years from memory. Add another 3 games in Perth every season for a number of seasons without giving them a team just yet, of course it's difficult to sustain, especially when it just becomes a money-making exercise like Gosford has.

I'm aware Perth has been showing interest for more than just one game, but so has Gosford and basing decisions on who stays and goes on last night is short sighted.

Timmah

Staff member
lol... yep, let's base a decision to introduce a new team on the most recent crowd only... :clap:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The main issue is the NRL grant...

Current grant I think is $3M per team from the NRL, derived mainly from TV rights etc.

Four new teams would require $12M per year extra to be derived by the NRL for their TV rights sponsorships etc.

Also the current teams all want an increase in the current grant by about 500k

So 500k x 16 is $8M + $12M = $20M extra a year the game would need to generate to pay for these four teams..

I think therein lies the problem...

Latest posts