What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Cant We Have 4 New Teams In 2013

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why on earth would they want to live in Europe and play footy when they could live in Perth, Central Coast, Darwin. Adelaide and play footy?

Probably due to the fact for $50 and a 2 hour flight you can get to Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Barcelona, Budapest, Ibiza or plenty of other brilliant cities. I'm sure they aren't going there for the scenic delights of Hull or Huddersfield!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If I was a League player, id love to play in Europe because the media is less likley to attack a player for te slightest thing.

bobmar28

Bench
I was just making th epoint the talent is there, we just need to find ways to bring it back and keep it in our comp.

The ESL salary cap is virtually the same as the NRL one, now the tax loophole is closed it is no longer all that attractive for alot of players. the big name ageing player will always be paid more in ESl than NRL but the rest may soon be finding it financially no longer that attractive.

of course for some the chance to live in Europe for a few years is an appeal that we can't do much about.

Yeah, who would want to live on the Gold Coast or Manly when you could enjoy the grey skies of England?

Perth should be next and Sunshine Coast. CC won't get a team until a Sydney team folds, merges or moves there imo.

By the way, is your state government putting any money into the future Perth Reds? I read in the Herald this morning that the ACT is investing millions in the western Sydney AFL team on top of the $400,000 they pay for a couple of AFL games in Canberra each year.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
We need to be seen to be doing something. The Western Bulldogs AFL team is negotiating a move to Darwin and then there is western Sydney and Gold Coast.

Melbourne now has a new soccer team as of last week and they are deciding whether western Sydney or the ACT will be next.

Also I think the super 14 are introducing a new franchise in Australia.

Perth Red

Post Whore
By the way, is your state government putting any money into the future Perth Reds? I read in the Herald this morning that the ACT is investing millions in the western Sydney AFL team on top of the $400,000 they pay for a couple of AFL games in Canberra each year.

No, alot of that is due to the fact the NRL has done nothing in Perth so RL has little relationship with the Govt, and in all honesty the WA Govt probably sees that it already has most major sports so doesn't need the NRL. Only help we will get is in the stadium redevelopment but that is more due to the ARU than us. NRL are not a proactive org like other codes have so don't seemingly actively court Govt funding and spend the time building relationships with Govt.

If we ever run out of things to dig out of the ground then we will need to promote WA as a great holiday destination and I can see an NRL team being a great vehicle to do that to the Eastern states, but that may be some time off yet!

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
No, alot of that is due to the fact the NRL has done nothing in Perth so RL has little relationship with the Govt, and in all honesty the WA Govt probably sees that it already has most major sports so doesn't need the NRL. Only help we will get is in the stadium redevelopment but that is more due to the ARU than us. NRL are not a proactive org like other codes have so don't seemingly actively court Govt funding and spend the time building relationships with Govt.

If we ever run out of things to dig out of the ground then we will need to promote WA as a great holiday destination and I can see an NRL team being a great vehicle to do that to the Eastern states, but that may be some time off yet!

What you need is some old ARL stooge to get his old mates to get your ticket up. That's how the Titans did it. It wasn't Searle - it was Broughton who did the trick. That's how rugby league and licensed clubs have always operated.

CC Bears had Singo - but he was more a liability for the Bears because he publicly sledged the NRL.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Other then the fact that we dont have the play talent, and the fact that we arent national, and the fact that our clubs would not be able to handle a competition like that, the structure of Australian broadcasting can not sustain that much Rugby League plus the AFL. It dosent have the money and it cant hope to draw that amount of money..

At the moment we aren't national, but we won't (hopefully) be in the same position in 10 or 20 years. Why can't we be the number one game in this country, we were in the 90's.

Sure we don't have the talent now to support all these teams, that's why I said make a concerted effort to increase development so all the areas we have a shortfall are addressed to support the game. If we get what we deserve we could easily fund development and growth.

Also maximising TV timeslots to suit clubs and crowds. Also a plan for all Sydney teams to have modern stadiums of 20-25,000 each. Done in stages.

You're looking at everything at the way it stands now not allowing for growth, as I said this would be over a number of years a steady increase.

With 24 clubs the options for TV are huge. Not all 12 games need to be shown in one area, however the games that would draw an audience can. Say Brisbane v Perth, doesn't need to be shown in Sydney or Newcastle. The media can sustain AFL growth and they get paid top dollar yet we can't, that's very negative and shows a lack of faith in the game.

The NFL dose not structure its pools based on rivalries and local derbys, it is based on audience reach. .

Which is the way we would do it also Qld would see the Brisbane v Perth or Cowboys game whilst Sydney would watch Souths v Roosters. Just as they do now for a Friday night game.

They dont make their money because of the structure they have, they make it because they have a very complex and the most effective broadcasting deal IN THE WORLD and they still have more power then the TV stations when it comes to their games getting broadcasts.

Think of this, in the NRL we have 8 teams in our largest city. In the NFL, they have only 2 teams in their largest city (New York). And thats the biggest saturation of a city they have in the comp. New York has more people then this country. Also think of this, LA, their 2nd biggest city and probably the city with the richest population in the USA, dosent even have a team in the NFL, but they still make $20.9 BILLION from TV rights..

That's great, but I am suggesting we take ideas from the NFL and fit them to our game in the best way possible.

Yeah that might excite some sponsors, but clubs would then be competing with other clubs for sponsors. At the moment, we have minor competition with sponsors for clubs here in Sydney. If we lose that competitivness, clubs might actually end up having to give in to sponsors and accecpt an unexceptable deal..

Again you are thinking in today's terms. With what I suggest the game would have growth and massive reach in the current market. This would INCREASE sponsors and media revenue..

I like the idea of expanding, but 20 teams would have to be the limit for at least the next 20 years. Maybe if the AFL some how fall over and Rugby League in NZ gets within arms reach of Union, then maybe we can handle 24 teams, but thats not likley..

We currently have 16 teams, by introducing Perth, Wellington, CC, Central Qld/Sunshine Coast, West Brisbane, Wollongong, Adelaide etc how does this affect the current clubs? We all agree the above areas can sustain teams (remembering the NRL are working towards funding the salary cap 100%), also the environment is different to previous years eg. effective salary cap makes teams competitive, see the Gold Coast. Only Adelaide would require work and I suggest they come in as the last teams in 2020-25 TV deal s done.

Explain how putting a team in Queensland or Perth or Wellington affects a teams revenue in Sydney? Also how this is a negative for our game?

The NFL actually dosent work like that, teams dont only play teams in one pool, they also play teams in other pools and conferences. It goes on a 4 year rotation so that every team will play every team at least twice in a four year cycle. Still, that is no where near the basis of where they make their money.

This is what I suggested. Sure we can't make as much as the NFL nor pay as much it is all relative. However we can grow our game and aspire to be the best we can, after all we have the greatest base of all sports ie we are number one in Sydney. Yet we are always talking about dismantling this rather than building on it.

Last edited:

coolsteve

Juniors
what about promotion/relegation like the pommy soccer.the nrl gives a grant to all in the top league , the rest play in nsw/qld cup.players can have clauses in their contract stating if their club goes down a division , they are granted a release .but the club picking them up pays a fee(so the former club is reimbursed and may have the ability to climb back up)do we really need to expand for the sake of it ?(je:perth)but i would hate to lose , say, the parra - manly rivalies etc

coolsteve

Juniors
what about promotion/relegation like the pommy soccer.the nrl gives a grant to all in the top league , the rest play in nsw/qld cup.players can have clauses in their contract stating if their club goes down a division , they are granted a release .but the club picking them up pays a fee(so the former club is reimbursed and may have the ability to climb back up)do we really need to expand for the sake of it ?(je:perth)but i would hate to lose , say, the parra - manly rivalies etc
sorry , didn`t mean to put the face in

Probably due to the fact for $50 and a 2 hour flight you can get to Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Barcelona, Budapest, Ibiza or plenty of other brilliant cities. I'm sure they aren't going there for the scenic delights of Hull or Huddersfield!

Hmmm. I see as it was lost in translation I should have put this :sarcasm: on the end of my post:p

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
You're looking at everything at the way it stands now not allowing for growth, as I said this would be over a number of years a steady increase.

Again you are thinking in today's terms.

And your looking at things as if we are going to get our worth and that the NRL are keen on expansion and growth.

Dont get me wrong, I like your idea, all the areas you mentioned would be able to sustain a team, but it isnt as simple as you are making it out to be. And I do think that you are over estimating the growth possibilities of our game.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And your looking at things as if we are going to get our worth and that the NRL are keen on expansion and growth.

Dont get me wrong, I like your idea, all the areas you mentioned would be able to sustain a team, but it isnt as simple as you are making it out to be. And I do think that you are over estimating the growth possibilities of our game.

Over 20 years.....no.

Latest posts