What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Cant We Have 4 New Teams In 2013

GB!

Juniors
The main issue is the NRL grant...

Current grant I think is $3M per team from the NRL, derived mainly from TV rights etc.

Four new teams would require $12M per year extra to be derived by the NRL for their TV rights sponsorships etc.

Also the current teams all want an increase in the current grant by about 500k

So 500k x 16 is $8M + $12M = $20M extra a year the game would need to generate to pay for these four teams..

I think therein lies the problem...

maybe kevin could introduce an NRL tax?
support the national league!

Jason Maher

Immortal
maybe kevin could introduce an NRL tax?
support the national league!

Now that's some good thinking. But I think we need to take it one step further. Make the tax payable on AFL tickets. Say an extra 10% on all AFL ticket prices, the proceed going directly to the NRL. Come on Kevvie, you're a Queenslander and a rugby league man! ;-)

Brutus

Referee
Ugh. One game and Perth are showing interest? Does that mean we ignore crowds of 15k, 18k, 19k that Gosford has managed in recent years?

Perth is a million miles away so a 15k crowd is great.

Gosford is an hour up the road and has the luxury of attracting travelling Sydney fans when a Sydney club plays.

t-ba

Post Whore
TBH, we are lucky to have 2 out of the 4 expansion teams still in the comp, both the Warriors and the Cows are were financial basket cases and only through good management later on in the piece that they are still standing. I think if there's any lesson to be learnt, it is that expansion has to be done gradually and not in one great big shot. Although the superleague dramas were a major contributing factor to both those before mentioned clubs knocking on deaths door, I know for a fact the Cows were in financial $hit from day dot and the only reason they signed with the break away league was to ensure their survival into the future.

Yep. I think the Crushers would have survived, but I'm not too sure about the Reds. Sure, they were incompetent, but the Crushers were on the backfoot because of the media blackout News Corp put on them. They had a modestly successful club behind them and would have had no trouble drawing about 12k through the gates. A front office cleanout, a few decent seasons, the hatred that the Broncos had from the BRL types and playing out of Lang Park might have resulted in a club just as popular as the Donkeys has Super League not come around. Their central position at Lang Park would have also counted as a major advantage. Being in the same town as Super League's flagship franchise just f**ked them.

For the Reds, The financial conditions placed on them were extremely onerous, and without guarantees, the move to Super League was at the time probably the correct one. Hindsight's a wonderful thing...

The main issue is the NRL grant...

Current grant I think is $3M per team from the NRL, derived mainly from TV rights etc.

Four new teams would require $12M per year extra to be derived by the NRL for their TV rights sponsorships etc.

Also the current teams all want an increase in the current grant by about 500k

So 500k x 16 is $8M + $12M = $20M extra a year the game would need to generate to pay for these four teams..

I think therein lies the problem...

2 extra games per round, over a 26 round competition (based on current comp) = 104 hours of football coverage = more advertisements
So need $192,000 per extra hour. (to cover extra 20M)
How much does an ad cost per second?

Really? The 1995 expansion would've worked had SL not kicked in...

We spread the talent too thin , for there few years in the comp together all the new teams were always at the bottom of the ladder.

4 new teams at once means 100 players , like it or not thats going to destroy the quality on the field.

hutch

First Grade
Perth and SE Queensland. I would have thought it was obvious. Gosford have shown that they don't want a team, and I really don't know why we'd go to NZ again over an Australian area that's crying out for it.

maybe for the sake of the international game and growing rugby league as a whole!

perth is the most imporatant area to expand to, followed by southern nz. i think central coast may come in at the expense of the 2nd kiwi team though. a 4th qld team will come in, but not in 2013.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd just love to see the NRL look at it all now and come up with a long term plan. 2 teams in 2013 and 2 teams in 2017 is what we should be planning for and announcing right now. CC is a tricky one as the NRL clearly want a team there but also clearly would prefer a relocation of an existing team.

Announce Reds and CC Bears for 2013 and a Q'land + 1 for 2017. Let the CC and WA start building nor rather than having to put their efforts into just bidding in the hope of getting a gig. No need to announce the 2017 clubs yet but let the other areas know the potential is there and to start developing their bids now.

We should be selling teh concept to teh Tv's not hoping the TV's will drive expansion.

18to87

Coach
We spread the talent too thin , for there few years in the comp together all the new teams were always at the bottom of the ladder.

4 new teams at once means 100 players , like it or not thats going to destroy the quality on the field.

Thats not necessarily true.

I am bias towards the Dragons but look at how many players they have lost over the years that have gone on to star at other clubs, yet the Dragons still remain competitive. The Dragons reserve grade team each week has future stars throughout the squad.

I am sure there are other fans of other teams that could say the same for their clubs.

The Gold Coast has done pretty good becoming competitive right away who is to say a new team every couple of years couldn't do the same.

Even the worst teams in comp right now have some big names still running around each week so I think the talent levels would be fine. Less guys would run off to the UK and hopefully no one else would go off to Union.

For those calling for another Queensland team, where would that team be based?

18to87

Coach
I'd just love to see the NRL look at it all now and come up with a long term plan. 2 teams in 2013 and 2 teams in 2017 is what we should be planning for and announcing right now. CC is a tricky one as the NRL clearly want a team there but also clearly would prefer a relocation of an existing team.

Announce Reds and CC Bears for 2013 and a Q'land + 1 for 2017. Let the CC and WA start building nor rather than having to put their efforts into just bidding in the hope of getting a gig. No need to announce the 2017 clubs yet but let the other areas know the potential is there and to start developing their bids now.

We should be selling teh concept to teh Tv's not hoping the TV's will drive expansion.

Great thinking.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Just for the record, realistically i dont think expanding 4 teams close together is a very good idea, but its interesting to talk about.

Why can we only expand at the start of each new TV rights deal? Obviously its because the TV stations need to know what they are buying but if the real complication is playing talent and TV stations forking out more money, there are ways to get around it.

The AFL dont plan on bringing in their 2 new teams in the same year, we can do something similar cant we?
2013 - Perth + CC
2015 - Qld + Wellington

That should give clubs time to adjust to the new teams hopefully, who ever wins the rights for those years will know what they are buying if it is a set plan. And if the NRL dont think that the competition can handle another set of expansion 2 years after the first, then they can postpone it.

but of course, this is the NRL, not going to happen.

mightybears

Bench
It has to be financially sustainable, at best i can see 2 teams next time round whenever that is, and thats the 2 bids that are real at the moment. Obviously SE Queensland can sustain another team, as could Wellington.

mightybears

Bench
Yep. I think the Crushers would have survived, but I'm not too sure about the Reds. Sure, they were incompetent, but the Crushers were on the backfoot because of the media blackout News Corp put on them. They had a modestly successful club behind them and would have had no trouble drawing about 12k through the gates. A front office cleanout, a few decent seasons, the hatred that the Broncos had from the BRL types and playing out of Lang Park might have resulted in a club just as popular as the Donkeys has Super League not come around. Their central position at Lang Park would have also counted as a major advantage. Being in the same town as Super League's flagship franchise just f**ked them.

For the Reds, The financial conditions placed on them were extremely onerous, and without guarantees, the move to Super League was at the time probably the correct one. Hindsight's a wonderful thing...

t-ba is 100% correct, other than a brief honeymoon period, the Crushers had news corp, the broncs and their publicity department [aka the courier and sunday mail] at them for the entire time.

maccattack

Juniors

Maybe, maybe not. Players could be enticed back from ESL and some Toyota Cup players could make the step up.

It could help the poms out by forcing them to grow their own talent and put an end to the stoopid 14.

Maybe, maybe not. Players could be enticed back from ESL and some Toyota Cup players could make the step up.

It could help the poms out by forcing them to grow their own talent and put an end to the stoopid 14.

that may be the case for 2 teams. But for 4 teams we are talking 100 players , that is huge.

4 teams would simply turn the bottom half of the comp into a joke imo.

ouwet

Bench
Ugh. One game and Perth are showing interest? Does that mean we ignore crowds of 15k, 18k, 19k that Gosford has managed in recent years?

Unfortunately mate i agree with the last few posters... Central Coast fans are being pretty stubborn (I Guess they might feel betrayed?) but they're not turning up to games in big numbers. NRL doesn't need another team in NSW... Either a team relocates or CC to miss out IMO, we cannot waste a new franchise in NSW!

t-ba

Post Whore
that may be the case for 2 teams. But for 4 teams we are talking 100 players , that is huge.

4 teams would simply turn the bottom half of the comp into a joke imo.

Agreed. Even with the comp as even as it is those clubs would be terrible, and a couple of the poorer clubs would be dragged down with them. 2 at a time, 5 year intervals. these clubs need to be competitive sooner rather than later, and not at the expense of other sides.

Eels Dude

Coach
Ridiculous idea. The Titans were lucky in that a lot of quality players wanted to go live and play there when they entered the competition. Where are these extra 100 players going to come from in the space of a year? 4 new sides will result in 4 clubs with several name players and a bunch of reserve graders. They'll be the bottom 4 clubs every year for the first few years and that will result in poor crowds and a lack of support and growth of the game. Whatever way you look at it, nobody wants to attend a game only to see their side lose. We had 4 new teams enter the comp in '95 and by '98 only two remained... the Warriors hung on by the skin of their teeth also.

Eels Dude

Coach

Rubbish. If the big money is overseas the higher quality players will still go there. Everyone keeps talking about the Aussie players who are in the ESL at the moment, but really most of them are hacks by now and couldn't crack a deal with an NRL club for minimum wage. You only need to look at the players that do try and come back to the NRL after the ESL and simply cannot compete at that level.

Expecting Toyota Cup players to simply make the 'step up' when they're not physically or mentally mature is just ridiculous. Talk about throwing players into the deep end.

Latest posts