What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support the team that you do.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Raiders 2004 said:
Raiders havent won anything since 1994, and they have had low years...and guess what...im still a supporter. That's me being a Raiders fan for for Over 14 years. I've supported Canberra since i've been able to understand league. Big deal, i dont like st george because they wear white...personal preference. You think i have respect for the Dragqueens. Your probably one of those ppl that go for the dragons because they won watever amount of premierships in a row. When i was young, i never liked league, but i use to watch it here and there, and use to be in awe watching how Ricky Stuart played. Call me a bandwagon supporter or watever u want...Carefactor is zero.
And as for Raiders not seeing any success for a long time...lets see 1982 to now...
Raiders Premiership Success vs Dragons Premiershup Success...

The only good thing dragons have done in recent times is lose Grand Finals. #-o

Im glad you measure success from the past century... Dont you care to add more to the Century than what you did. Anyway, I don't have a gripe with who you support or why, That's your Right.

And no i did not support Stgeorge for all the premierships they won, at 5 years of age, do u think I would now about them ??

im only 34, I was not born till 1969..

Cheers.

Poida_Raider

Bench
i used to go for the panthers.. no idea why, but i had some of the gear.
then i think i started going for the raiders cause a few of my older mates started to, it must have been about the time the won in 1994, but now i am a fully dedicated raiders supporter and i always will be.

Poida_Raider

Bench
young kids must just always change teams, go with the crowd etc. but once somethin sticks, we stick with them through thick and thin!

Poida_Raider

Bench
i dont know why i dont go for canterbury cause my old man, and my brother and younger sister go for them, so i dont know what happened. then my older sister goes for newcastle so, who knows why we do the things we do..

who knows why i'm telling my life story here!

SP

Bench
i never really gotten into rugby league until i was 10 (i liked soccer then, and still do now). I was talked into following league by some of my friends at school, mainly 3, Joel Heit, Witty (Michael Witt) and Nicko (Nathan Nixon) were all footy fans, Joel was an Illawarra supporter, Nicko supported the Broncos and Witty was a Newcastle supporter.

So i said, i like the team that the Alexander player plays for, i cant remember the team though.

So i have been following Penrith for almost 10 years (or 9 if you dont count 1997, there was no season then for me)

AuckMel

Bench
Followed Balmain first, then Manly and now thankfully the Warriors.

Basically, the team with the most Kiwis in it got my support before the Warriors arrived.

Poida_Raider

Bench
yeah i was the same, i was a bit of a soccer fan when i wsa real young, i think i must have started following rugby league seriously at about 12 or 13.
still very mush enjoy the Premier League, its just such a good competition, well all those soccer leagues are really..
but i am rugby league #1, type of football supporter.

Some early memories. My father was a journalist who was and still is a fanatical lover of sport. As a kid growing up during the depression he would pretend to be Don Bradman or Bill O'Reilly in the street cricket test matches that used to occur on a daily basis or he would mimick the prowess of Dave Brown, the champion Easts centre from the 30's who was the biggest name in league when my dad was in his early teens. Dad grew up in Willoughby and was a mad Norths supporter from his early days.
When war broke out he joined up and found himself in New Guinea. After the war he returned to Australia where he met my mother, got married and started a family. He returned to New guinea as he had a job as the managing editor of the newspaper in Lae and raised his 4 sons. As we were all getting older, he realised that we would need a proper education so in 1965 he moved us back to Australia.
Luckily for us my parents chose the Eastern Suburbs to settle in. When we first moved there my father was still a Bears supporter but being the wise man that he is he decided that we should all start to follow the local team which of course was the mighty Roosters. So in 1966 my dad threw away his black and red scarf and headed off every weekend to the sports ground or wherever Easts were playing. As any knowledgable league fan will know, 66 was a bad year for Easts. The club failed to win a game and were the laughing stock of the comp. It was going to take some steadfast loyalty for us to remain Roosters fans. But the Cogburn's stuck solid and now we could never support any other club.
My earliest memories are of Sunday's watching Rex Mossop's sports show on channel 7 followed by the wrestling with Mario Milano and Haystacks Calhoun on channel 9 at which time my mum would give us our lunch and then we would head off to watch our team do battle. Those were the days when Easts team had players like Ron Saddler, Jim Morgan, Kevin Junee, Louis Neumann and Alan McKean. Easts weren't the classy team that they are now, but they were goers. They always put in and even though we knew that they couldn't win the comp the fact that they were competitive more than made up for it. After enduring a season like 66, anything had to be better.
Because I was only young I was more interested in tobogganing down the grassy slopes of the sports ground with the other 7 year olds than taking much notice of the battle which was happening on the field. The first year that I really became interested in Easts was in 1972. We had a great year which culminated in an unlucky loss to Manly in the Grand Final! But the seeds had been sowed and Rooster Cogburn was well and truly hooked. The following few seasons brought me untold joy as the Mighty Roosters cut a swayth through the competition winning the premiership easily in 1974 and 1975. They were great years and I am thrilled that my great club is going through another golden era which I'm sure will produce some more premierships in the next few years.

ball boy

Bench
it was in 1994 and i was 4, the raiders were going to play Newcastle at Bruce. My grandma called me and my dad and asked us if we wanted to go to the game with her. We went and she bought me a raiders Jeresy and a raiders flag and from then on i havent missed a raiders home match.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Some early memories. My father was a journalist who was and still is a fanatical lover of sport. As a kid growing up during the depression he would pretend to be Don Bradman or Bill O'Reilly in the street cricket test matches that used to occur on a daily basis or he would mimick the prowess of Dave Brown, the champion Easts centre from the 30's who was the biggest name in league when my dad was in his early teens. Dad grew up in Willoughby and was a mad Norths supporter from his early days.
When war broke out he joined up and found himself in New Guinea. After the war he returned to Australia where he met my mother, got married and started a family. He returned to New guinea as he had a job as the managing editor of the newspaper in Lae and raised his 4 sons. As we were all getting older, he realised that we would need a proper education so in 1965 he moved us back to Australia.
Luckily for us my parents chose the Eastern Suburbs to settle in. When we first moved there my father was still a Bears supporter but being the wise man that he is he decided that we should all start to follow the local team which of course was the mighty Roosters. So in 1966 my dad threw away his black and red scarf and headed off every weekend to the sports ground or wherever Easts were playing. As any knowledgable league fan will know, 66 was a bad year for Easts. The club failed to win a game and were the laughing stock of the comp. It was going to take some steadfast loyalty for us to remain Roosters fans. But the Cogburn's stuck solid and now we could never support any other club.
My earliest memories are of Sunday's watching Rex Mossop's sports show on channel 7 followed by the wrestling with Mario Milano and Haystacks Calhoun on channel 9 at which time my mum would give us our lunch and then we would head off to watch our team do battle. Those were the days when Easts team had players like Ron Saddler, Jim Morgan, Kevin Junee, Louis Neumann and Alan McKean. Easts weren't the classy team that they are now, but they were goers. They always put in and even though we knew that they couldn't win the comp the fact that they were competitive more than made up for it. After enduring a season like 66, anything had to be better.
Because I was only young I was more interested in tobogganing down the grassy slopes of the sports ground with the other 7 year olds than taking much notice of the battle which was happening on the field. The first year that I really became interested in Easts was in 1972. We had a great year which culminated in an unlucky loss to Manly in the Grand Final! But the seeds had been sowed and Rooster Cogburn was well and truly hooked. The following few seasons brought me untold joy as the Mighty Roosters cut a swayth through the competition winning the premiership easily in 1974 and 1975. They were great years and I am thrilled that my great club is going through another golden era which I'm sure will produce some more premierships in the next few years.

Cockburn, that was the best article you have ever written. The only article that I have ever enjoyed reading.
But what surprises me RC, is that you must be around 40+ years of age.

What makes you carry on the way you do ??..

Too much paddington Pastries?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hot on either side ?

ouwet

Bench
Ive been a Bulldogs fan eversince i can remember... Stuck with them through everything... There move too Concord, Parra Stadium, Baseball Stdadium and Telstra Stadium aswell as Super League and Salary Cap Scandal!

TRANSLATION

Juniors
My Uncle and my father would take me to kogarah when i was a small kid.
My dad first moved to Australia when he was 17, so I would say he moved here in 1961. They Lived in Crown St, then in Roselle, and then we had a place at Kensington. I was born whilst living there in 1969. Mum Owned a Hairdressing shop in Kenso, and all the locals greek ladies still remember mum from those days.

When I was about 5 we moved to Brighton Le Sands. Gods place for a Holiday. in the Saints Area.. Offcourse.

Luckily we moved from Kenso, or I might have ended up a Rooster LOL. Then again, I might have got lucky and ended up a Souths fan.

Anyway, My uncle who lived in Brighton as well, would go to kogarah every game, and he used to take his favourite nephew, being me to the football. I was on crutches for a year, because I thought i was superman, and jumped off the roof at home. I Broke my hip, LOL.. i still remember it today.

Anyway, whislt on crutches, they used to take me to the game, and I used to take ages to walk into the ground. upon doing so, i saw people who were having lots of fun, enjoying themselves.

I remember players like, Tony Trudgett, Michael Sorrodimi, Robert Finch, Mark Buchannan, George Grant, bruce starkey and co.
It was great to see. People would sit on the hill, and make a large roar, and I was gobsmacked. The dragons won that day, and i instantly became a fan of rugby league. I was always going to soccer with the old man and uncle wathcing Olympic .. LOL.

Then when watching players like Morris, Johnson, Reddy, young and co, I could not be anything else.

I love the bad times, I love the good Times. It's all part of football. I have learnt to understand, that you can not win them all, and I can handle a loss without worry.

I love watching Great football, no matter which team is playing. Weather that be the roosters or sharks, or the Cowboys. I give credit where credit is due.

My one hope is that all supporters can talk without being Stupid, or without bias. I think that will never happen, but the more that convert to reality the better.

My Team is Stgeorge Illawarra Dragons. I will always be through good and bad.

The Colonel

Immortal
Colonel Eel said:
I have been a Parramatta supporter since pre-school in 1978 because my best mate at the time wore a Parra jersey most days which I really liked.

Bob O'Reilly bought the pub in my home town when I was quite little as well. I remember sitting in the beer lounge watching the likes of Cronin, Massey, Gibson, Price, Sterling, Edge etc on an end of season jaunt to see him. Huge stuff - I remember being too scared to talk to them. :oops:

beerboy

Juniors
like that other do ive always been in awe of the animal the Shark, and as an impressionalble youngster the sight of Peachey, ET, Mitch Healey, Longy & Nikau running around was the most exciting and impressive attack ive seen

knights04

Bench
I use to support the bad teams eg Gold Coast, Balmain, but not Souths bleh. I support the syke knights for no syke reason syke syke syke.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My father is sports mad kind of guy. When we lived in Brisbane ( for me up until I was 4) apparently I went to many games @ Lang Park and loved it. When we first moved to Sydney we lived in the Shire and Cronulla was new to the Sydney comp - my father and sister took me to games and bought me a Sharks ball, hat etc. Been a Shark ever since. We moved not long after, but my loyalities remained and will remain.

Iafeta

Referee
The Warriors - mainly because they come from my country.

But, one player always grabbed my attention for how he handles himself off the field. Stacey Jones. Meeting the man who is like a demi-god in NZRL, he is so shy and so approachable. A great family man, and a man I'm very proud to call a hero for all his acts of loyalty towards the club.

I'm also proud seeing the work of the likes of Ali Lauiti'iti freely giving their time outside of football to help kids on the street and with issues. The spirit of the Warriors is alive and well, I'm eternally grateful for Eric Watson reigniting the flame after it flickered and seemed to be burnt out at the end of the Ngai Tahu dramas. Because they are a huge part of my life, and many many others as well.