What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support the team that you do.

Roosterphin

Juniors
Maroubra Eel said:
fatshark said:
Most of you sound like band wagon jumpers.
Me, I was born in the shire , so Ive followed MY OWN DISTRICTS team for the last 30 years. ;-)
Yeah I agree fatshark. Alot of bandwagon jumpers. I was born with blue and gold pumping through my veins. I don't know why anyone would switch.

Not all people grew up in an area thta had a team. I for instance grew up on the South Coast NSW so we didnt have a team until 1982 when the mighty Steelers came in.
And when my local team went I switched back to the Chooks.

Bluebag

Juniors
Have been a Jets fan since Moses was a boy and have not changed nor had any reason to change if anything even moreso now. Despite being thrown out at the end of 83 (thank you Quayle and Arthurson) my only support of the game was not club related but former Jets players who went elsewhere. I was always thrilled to see them do well elsewhere. When the Jets made their comeback in Metro even Chicka Ferguson made a comeback to help the club relaunch. That is what makes the Jets special to me even Paul Osborne still counts himself as a Jets man.

Bozza 1980

Juniors
Nothing overwhelmingly exciting about my story.

When I was younger I grew up in the western suburbs and all my friends were Parramatta supporters so I too was a Parramatta supporter.

It was a bit hard not to be when you consider the players in the team at the time Sterling, Kenny, Cronin, Price, Ella, Taylor, Grothe, Bugden, Leabetter.

After being spoilt early, Parramatta's first 4 premierships happened by the time I was 6, it's been a patient wait for the next one...

2004 sounds like as good a time as any

Gidsgal

Juniors
I have always followed Newcastle because they are my home town team, and because they play a very entertaining style of footy, and are a really great team. Plus they have some really hot players too

mightypanther

Juniors
One day in 1989, my hubby decided that we were going to watch our first ever rugby league match live, because he had watched a couple of games on TV and wondered what it would be like to see it for real. Neither of us had ever been into league before this.

Well, we went down to Penrith Stadium and watched a match between Penrith and St George, and I had an absolute ball, I loved every minute of it. My hubby, (stupid man that he is), decided that it wasn't much fun and he wasn't going again.

Well, more fool him, because I was hooked forever, and I started to go to home games here and there with my daughter, and watch them constantly on TV, but in 1990 when my daughter was about 12 years old, her and I started to go to every home game together.

From then on, my hubby has been deserted during winter time, because footy comes first. We have had season tickets since about 1994 or so, and my son has also been coming with us for the last 3 years and he is now nearly 17. My 25 year old daughter still comes with me, and brings her husband and 2 children.

And the funniest thing is, my hubby STILL refuses to get into it, and would rather stay at home by himself while the rest of the family goes off to the football just about every week, and I spend a fortune of his money every year on tickets and merchandise. (I told you he was stupid :lol: but I love him anyway......well he does give me all that money for the footy after all :D ).

GO THE MIGHTY PENRITH PANTHERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm a born and bred Kiwi so I was always going to follow the Warriors. Prior to them wentering the comp I followed the Kiwi players in the ARL more than the actual teams, I would root for a team while the top kiwis plyed for them but would often stop following them when the players moved on, for exmple I stopped going for Balmain when Gary Freeman changed clubs. But since '95 I've followed the Warriors exclusively and will continue to do so even though I now live in Sydney.

Freak

Juniors
If you lived within walking distance of cumberland oval and you were born in the 70's you didn't really have a choice who you supported.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I've always been a knights fan. I started going for them in 1995 full on. Mainly because of a bloke called Paul Harragon. The pride and toughness he showed for the knights, made me think that this was the team for me. Plus it's my home town and I always support my local teams over anyone else. Also IMO, the knights are a very clean team. They don't stoop to the cheap shots and thugery any where near as much as a brisbane or a stgeorge illawarra.

joshreading

Staff member
I'm a Vic so I always said when they put in a team from Victoria I would follow them. I followed manly as my team before that but when Melbourne came in it was the Storm all the way.

I like the warriors a bit also because mums a kiwi

brook

First Grade
Bluebag said:
Have been a Jets fan since Moses was a boy and have not changed nor had any reason to change if anything even moreso now. Despite being thrown out at the end of 83 (thank you Quayle and Arthurson) my only support of the game was not club related but former Jets players who went elsewhere. I was always thrilled to see them do well elsewhere. When the Jets made their comeback in Metro even Chicka Ferguson made a comeback to help the club relaunch. That is what makes the Jets special to me even Paul Osborne still counts himself as a Jets man.

I would say my support for Balmain (as independant from the wests tigers although I do cheer for the jv in the NRL) has also increased since we stopped playing in the NRL.

I've ALWAYS been a big fan but nowadays I take it to almost unhealthy extremes (or so many of my non-football fan friends tell me)

If anything my enjoyment for the game has increased as I delight in watching the younger kids develop as footballers and although I hope most go on to play for the wests tigers I know I'll cheer for my favourites whatever club they end up in

(and so I go to parramatta games to cheer for james webster - although I cheer for the opposition whenever anyone ELSE from parra has the ball, I enjoyed watching the storm when they signed the champion tiger Shane Walker and have come close to adopting the warriors as a second team since they signed villa)

ozzie

Bench
Stgillaman said:
Raiders 2004 said:
Stgillaman said:
Raiders 2004 said:
Living in the St George area....i knew i couldnt support a team wearing practically all white...looked a bit queer :? and i use to love going to canberra when i was young (im not a freak) and Watchin meninga, stuart and daley play is unforgettable.

If not choosing a team because of Colour.

I think Thats Queer LOL.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

I know who you are. You spoke to me after the raiders dragons game along princess highway, Near Red Rooster, with your face painted.

Is that You..??

No. I refuse to speak and associate with dragons fans.
Oh plus the fact St George were hopeless....92-93... :roll:

So your one of those Dorks that follows teams that win grand finals when your deciding who to support. So your fickle. Like most roosters. Not surprised your not following them then.

My brother in law follows the broncos as does another mate, and my best man is a raider.

Non of them come from these places. They only followed them, because when they were growing up, that's who were winning.

As for my brother in law, he can not handle losses, so he changed to the broncos from a Rooster LOL.

I honestly, NO OFFENCE, don't have respect for Traitors, who can not handle Down times.

Success goes in circle my freinds. Raiders, wont see any of that for a long time.

not worth answering - it is just another example of this clown Rooster bashing - sorry STIllgorilla but we don't aplogise to your pathetic team and it's obvoius from your low position on the comp table that no Rooster fans would have come flocking over to your team...tell me again about the $8m and where did it go - why are you guys in financial troubles as reported in the telecrap!!

ozzie

Bench
Stgillaman said:
I was born whilst living there in 1969.
Luckily we moved from Kenso, or I might have ended up a Rooster LOL. Then again, I might have got lucky and ended up a Souths fan.

My one hope is that all supporters can talk without being Stupid, or without bias. I think that will never happen, but the more that convert to reality the better.

My Team is Stgeorge Illawarra Dragons. I will always be through good and bad.

and you are taking the piss out of other clubs - you better start practising what you preach - I always though 1969 was a bad year and this is another reason why!!! you were born - crap!!!! i think they found you under a cabbage patch

fish

Juniors
I have followed manly since 82 and live in brissy,It would have been easier if I had of changed when the broncs came in as I would enjoy more live games but could not bring myself to do it.I have read alot of people say that they followed such and such then changed......How can you change the team you supposedly love all of a sudden,all I can gather is that you were to young at the time to understand what it means to support a club.

brook

First Grade
ozzie said:
Stgillaman said:
I was born whilst living there in 1969.
Luckily we moved from Kenso, or I might have ended up a Rooster LOL. Then again, I might have got lucky and ended up a Souths fan.

My one hope is that all supporters can talk without being Stupid, or without bias. I think that will never happen, but the more that convert to reality the better.

My Team is Stgeorge Illawarra Dragons. I will always be through good and bad.

and you are taking the piss out of other clubs - you better start practising what you preach - I always though 1969 was a bad year and this is another reason why!!! you were born - crap!!!! i think they found you under a cabbage patch

69 was a wonderful year :)

the only time the rabbits actually faced us in a grand final (as opposed to winning one by deception) and a deserved win to the mighty tigers ;-)

ozzie

Bench
I bow in your honour brook - but births - pfft -- have a look at this example of a misguided human

TRANSLATION

Juniors
ozzie said:
Stgillaman said:
Raiders 2004 said:
Stgillaman said:
Raiders 2004 said:
Living in the St George area....i knew i couldnt support a team wearing practically all white...looked a bit queer :? and i use to love going to canberra when i was young (im not a freak) and Watchin meninga, stuart and daley play is unforgettable.

I know who you are. You spoke to me after the raiders dragons game along princess highway, Near Red Rooster, with your face painted.

Is that You..??

So your one of those Dorks that follows teams that win grand finals when your deciding who to support. So your fickle. Like most roosters. Not surprised your not following them then.

My brother in law follows the broncos as does another mate, and my best man is a raider.

Non of them come from these places. They only followed them, because when they were growing up, that's who were winning.

As for my brother in law, he can not handle losses, so he changed to the broncos from a Rooster LOL.

I honestly, NO OFFENCE, don't have respect for Traitors, who can not handle Down times.

Success goes in circle my freinds. Raiders, wont see any of that for a long time.

not worth answering - it is just another example of this clown Rooster bashing - sorry STIllgorilla but we don't aplogise to your pathetic team and it's obvoius from your low position on the comp table that no Rooster fans would have come flocking over to your team...tell me again about the $8m and where did it go - why are you guys in financial troubles as reported in the telecrap!!

8 Mill Notional Value.. Dingbat.. Other clubs had the same thing Moron. Notional values, caused by Super league.

Our Club is not in financial trouble moron, if you dont read well, our club was listed under SAFE.

You like meddaling in history, when at present. Your Losers.

We won our last game, you lost. Panthers are premiers.

Which in peoples eyes do you think Hurts more.

Your measily comment about 1999, or todays Current Fact.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roosterphin

Juniors
Stgillaman said:
ozzie said:
Stgillaman said:
Raiders 2004 said:
Stgillaman said:
Raiders 2004 said:

Is that You..??

8 Mill Notional Value.. Dingbat.. Other clubs had the same thing Moron. Notional values, caused by Super league.

Our Club is not in financial trouble moron, if you dont read well, our club was listed under SAFE.

You like meddaling in history, when at present. Your Losers.

We won our last game, you lost. Panthers are premiers.

Which in peoples eyes do you think Hurts more.

Your measily comment about 1999, or todays Current Fact.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really show warra man that you have no idea aboutr anything. How old are you 12?

Each JV was given $8m assistance...common knowledge.

Roosters losers and you winners...I dont think so.

Bring back the mighty Steelers....we provide all the players but get nothing

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Roosterphin said:
McSharkie said:
we provide all the players but get nothing

We?

how many teams do you support?

Read my post in here - used to be a Steeler supporter until "taken over"

Sorry I Support 2 Teams Weekly.

Stgeorge.. and every team playing the Roosters.

So We Won..

PREMIERS... WOHOOOOOOOOOOO

BTW, Phin.. The Merger was given * mill, = The Salary Cap notional Values were aslo Close to * mill.
Dont speak when you don't post the whole truth and nothing but the truth.