What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support your team?

Knightmare

Coach
Born in Penriff and went to a few Panthers games with my Dad when I was a kid. Moved to Newcastle though when I was 7 and one day I met up with my great grand father and he asked me "what footy team do you support son?" and I replied "the mighty Penny Panthers".

My great grand dad gave me this look of disgust and said "not any more you're not, from this day onwards you're a Knights supporter!" My grand dad made sure I received a Knights collector ball and Henny Penny jersey for my birthday that very same year I moved to Newy.

Before he passed away he used to sit on the hill for every home game and told me about the players. I used to marvel at the strength of Mark Sargent, Tony Butterfield and Paul Harragon. I used to cheer when Ash the Flash Gordon, Michael Hagan or Brett Grogan crossed over for a try.

My dad kept supporting the Panthers and my brother followed the Sharks up until the Super League War, then turned his back on the code entirely. The playing style was always attractive because the Knights for the most part placed an emphasis on expansive, attack-oriented football.

All my mates followed the Knights, except for one d***head who followed Souffs and actually considered them to be the pride of the league. He copped it deluxe in 1999 :lol:

My mates used to sit on the old wooden benches just to the right of the goal posts and we'd alternate between firing up our players and shouting insults at the visiting players. It wasn't just us though, most of the 20000 plus crowd at each home game would give it to the visiting team massively after Joey started banging in the nails. You could see it in the players' faces that they didn't want to be there.

The Joey years were the best. Most Knights fans would turn up at the ground expecting the team to win, and we rarely walked away disappointed. The biggest rivalry in those years imo was against the Roosters. The Fittler vs Johns battles were epic. Two great attacking teams going at each others' throats. That 2000 semi was gut wrenching.

Ahh, the glory days...

Mind you, the first week of the 2001 Finals where the Knights f**ked the Roosters 40-6 was pretty sweet revenge, especially considering it ultimately knocked Easts out of the finals!

Lambretta

First Grade
Arrived in Sydney in 1995 (October 3rd, day or two after the GF between Manly and the Dogs) and started living in Double Bay

I worked in Mascot and occasionally Miranda and I decided to choose a team to follow in 97 when I seriously started watching the code.

The choices were:-
Easts, where I lived
Souths, where I worked - a lady got me hooked on the code by selling me doubles that raised funds for Souths juniors who her son was playing for
Cronulla because I liked their colours and also worked down that area occasionally

I chose Easts in the end because my brother in law said they were utter shite and would never be successful. That did it for me - I love an underdog. Didn't quite turn out that way though - thank goodness!

PJRolls

Juniors
So what is the reason you chose your team?
At first my team was Penriff, cuz when I was in Australia on school exchange, my Uni was in Penrith, however I did live in Bondi and wasn't gonna cheer for the chooks. However, lately i've really come to love the Bunnies, as they remind me a lot of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. A team with tons of history and past glory but not much as of recent.

Did your family support them when you were growing up?
N/a - they all live in Canada

Did you live in the area?
Lived in Bondi, went to school in Penrith

Was there a player in the team you liked?
With Penrith, not particularly, with SSR, lots. Taylor, Reynolds, Inglis, Burgess

Did their playing style attract you?
Yes, some very exciting games

Did your friends go for them?
n/a

Or was there another reason?

STORM.99/07

Bench
Started supporting Storm in 98 when my afl team merged with brisbane.Just thought I would go and have a look at Melbourne`s first NRL team and I have been a fanatic ever since.Never been to an afl game since.
Fave players have been Tawera Nikau,Cam Smith,Billy,and anyone else who has worn a Storm jersey.
Have converted lots of friends to Storm.
Love their playing style.
Storm Premiers 2012......

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Prior to the Warriors starting up in 1995, I only have vague memories of games being on TV in NZ (including the Tina Turner & "Friday Night's A Great Night For Football!" ads!) but barely watched the game, so didn't really support other teams. If anything, I liked the three B's : Bears, Broncos & Bulldogs for their respective colours and logos (in fact, I had a Canterbury Bulldogs t-shirt around 91-92, but fairly certain I only realised it was a league shirt in retrospect!)

I remember watching the Warriors first game against the Broncos with the family in '95, but for whatever reason I didn't really catch on as a supporter until much later. I think the fact I was much more interested in watching pro-wrestling with my brother than watching sports in general had a big hand in that!

It actually wasn't till early 2002 where the league flames (and support of the Warriors in particular) inside me were stoked via random coincidence.
I had travelled down from Palmerston Nth to Wellington to go to a Tool concert around April, and after failing to get in touch with the mates I was supposed to be staying with, with less than an hour before the concert was due to start I decided to try my luck at the nearest backpackers. The moment I walked in a bunch of old mates from High School walked out of the lift, turns out they were also going to the concert, so I went to Tool with them, stayed on the floor in their room that night for free, then was invited to go to the Warriors v Bulldogs at the stadium the following day (which I had no idea was on), which was damn exciting (loss aside).

Ended up moving into their flat in Palmy a month or so later, which is where I really got hooked on league and started bleeding the Warriors, including my first ever bet being a correct first tryscorer (boy would that beginners luck bite me in the years that have followed), following that grand season with delight through to the Grand Final (VB's all round!), and in the proceeding years have been to every remaining Warriors and International game that was held in Wellington (regardless of where I was living at the time).
It wasn't until 2007 when I travelled up to Mt Smart for my first true Warriors home game (against Titans which we won, YEAH!) and then again in 2010 (against Knights which we won, YEAH!!!).

So in short, mates were the main influence for becoming a true supporter in the first place, and haven't wavered since regardless of their ups and downs since that massive year in 2002.

EDIT : As for favourite players that captured my imagination, I can't really comment on the '95-'01 period as I didn't really follow it, but in 2002 I was a total mark for Stacey Jones, Kevin Campion & Ali Lauitiiti (as most people that year I suppose), as well as Henry Fa'afili's try celebrations.

Last edited:
Dad worked here in Aus for a year or two before mum and I migrated from Portugal. The day we arrived here, he came and picked us up from the airport and the first thing I saw on Australia TV, at the airport was Norths v Broncos with Norths winning 14-12. Fell in love with the Bears ever since.

thorson1987

Coach
Dad worked here in Aus for a year or two before mum and I migrated from Portugal. The day we arrived here, he came and picked us up from the airport and the first thing I saw on Australia TV, at the airport was Norths v Broncos with Norths winning 14-12. Fell in love with the Bears ever since.

Was that in 94 at NSO. If so that was the first time I went to a NSWRL game.

LJC

Juniors
The Roosters jumper attracted me when I was watching my first ever game on TV in the 1972 grandfinal. The Roosters lost but I just loved the jumper! From then on I have been a trailist and a fan of the club.

I am dissappointed that the Roosters do not call themselves the "East Sydney Roosters"! I cringe every time they are referred to as "Sydney". It just doesnt seem right. East Sydney shows both the locality and links with the heritage of the club. "Sydney" is very vague!

Griffoshark66

First Grade
Is it possible to get a like button on the forum?

I remember going to a sharks pennies game years ago at Ronson Field. I can remember the fat, geniused penrith supporters spitting on the seats around them so sharks supporters couldn't sit near them. I also remember the Falcon being sent off on a rainy Sunday afternoon to some of the funniest abuse I've heard to this day.

Those and so many other reasons are why I do and always will support the sharks.

Beetlejuice

Juniors
When I came to Australia in 1992 I was only 5. Fell in love with the green of Canberra. They were the best back in those days.

All it can take for a kid to start a love affair with a club is their jersey.

bluey

Bench
Sharks--- The Guernsey and the Great Late Steve rogers got me
some times i wish i had that day all over again.LOL

Latest posts