What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support your team?

CrazyTiger

Juniors
He signed up like a month before inglis signed with souths for the record. Must be some weird spooky coincidence he signed up when they started to put a team together when he claims he supports them for historic reasons.

For the record the first game of rugby league I watched was the 89 grand final and I liked it so I supported the winner.

A simple field goal is all that stood between Balmain goodness and the evil that is Canberra.

Come towards the light.

soc123_au

Staff member
I was a Parra supporter after the 1977 GF because I felt sorry for them getting flogged in the replay. I became a Penrith supporter in 1980. I had been promised a Footy Jersey for one reason or another & when Mum took me down to the shops to get one I of course selected a Parra one. Mum tried to talk me into a Penrith Jersey but I was having none of it. Then she lied to me, it is the only time I can recall her ever not telling the truth. While we were in the line to the checkout she was chatting away & said it was a shame my new Jersey would be obsolete the following year. I asked her why & she told me that Parra were changing there name to the Wooden Spooners & their colours to pink & purple for the upcoming season. (I would have been 8 & didnt know the relevance of the wooden spoon) So I decided to get the Penrith one as she originally suggested. Been a die hard Panthers supporter ever since. Although I was a bit cranky that Parra won the next 3 straight while remaining the Eels & no colour change!

firechild

First Grade
Grew up 2 suburbs from Brookie. My godfather played reserve grade for Manly (and Norths but I doubt he'd readily admit to that). My grandfather (mum's dad) grew up as a Footscray Bulldogs supporter but saw the light when he moved to Sydney and became a pretty staunch Manly supporter. In fact the last time I saw him smile was when I turned up to the hospital and told him that Manly had beaten the Warriors (was 2003 so wins weren't something we saw much of). Pretty much all my mates at school were Manly supporters unsurprisingly.

Used to love watching the likes of Ridge, Toovey, Menzies and Lyons tear opposition sides apart. I was only 5 the first time I watched Manly win a premiership (1987) so I don't really remember it so 1996 was very special.

Clifferd

Coach
Probably haven't followed rugby league half as long or even a quater as most people here but 2003 when Marshall came to the scene got me interested. Still casually watched on until the 37-36 see saw game the Tigers played against the Bulldogs in 2005, round 2 or something. Was watching at a friends house, that's basically when I got hooked on rugby league.

Also my dad supported Balmain since 73' or something and used to always tell me stories about the famous 89' GF. He kept many old Balmain jumpers so I guess that had a big influence too..

Last edited:

SuperiorEasts

Juniors
Did your family support them when you were growing up?

No. Dad was a souffs supporter and took me to souffs games during their dire years. Easts always smashed them so I told my dad I was a rooster supporter and it's been like that ever since.

Did you live in the area?

Yes. Lived about 5 mins away from the SFS.

Was there a player in the team you liked?

Of course brad fittler.

Did their playing style attract you?

Yes, they were dominant against souffs which is what I mainly saw and when I started to fully support them in the early 2000s they were absolutely dominant.

Did your friends go for them?

No.

nqcowboy87

Bench
born in mackay, grew up in innisfail/cairns, although i supported the broncos before 2001 (i was a fickle child that didnt like supporting losing teams). my old man was a roosters (or eastern suburbs as he alwys calls them) supporter and went to riverview on the north shore so most of his friends where bears supporters so he grew up hating manly. i started supporting them in 2001 after they came to play in cairns but only started supporting them staunchly in 2003 cause of matt bowen

Flapper

First Grade
Look at the join date of my account. Months before we signed GI.

I started following this team when it was terrible. I'm no bandwagoner.

You list their success as the #1 reason you followed the club. That's still bandwagoning.

POPEYE

Coach
Became interested in Saints and League in the late 50's because the Dragons supplied the nucleus in tests against the poms.
League vaporised in late 60's due to women and booze.
Early 70's heard Gibson speak and knew if there was a god he was it.
Wherever Jack went so did I and the only time I laughed aloud at Souths was when they refused to give him autonomy over the team.
Cranky with Jack when he could have easily won 6 on the trot with the Eels but refused to change his 'three years is enough' policy.
Every year 'post Gibson' I've enjoyed because I cheer for all coaches who improve the game.
I've bought Storm jerseys since '98 because I'm a loner and their predicament appeals to me.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I was born and raised there and went to Parra Marist along with alot of our players.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
I cried like a girl when we lost 88 and 89.

Because we had so much success in the 80's I never appreciated how hard to come
by success can be (I was still young). Losing the club as we knew it has made those
losses worse.

Not seeing Pearce and co win in 89 was worse than 88.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Agreed.

Looks like the germ is going to ruin another decent thread, too...

Maybe if you mob stopped encouraging him he'd have no reason to post more rubbish in every single thread on this board.

You circle-jerkers are just as bad from where I sit.

Doomednow

Bench
I grew up in a "rural" town south of Penrith. They were our nearest team. My grandfather was a big Panthers fan, but my parents weren't really in to sport at all so I only really had a token interest for the longest time. He bought me a pair of socks once, after the 91 grand final. I was five at the time. I followed my parents example and only had a passing interest in the game until about 2005 -06. I remember the 03 grand final was a big deal, but it still didn't hook me in. Then in 2006 for some reason I decided I wanted to watch some f**king sport, dammit, and so started paying closer attention. I've stuck with them since because it doesn't make sense to back any other team.

The thing is, I've not had the pleasure of supporting them in any real time of great success. I'm a masochist, apparently. Definitely gives me something to look forward to, though. That sweet, sweet premiership glory when you actually care about it.

Fire

First Grade
Maybe if you mob stopped encouraging him he'd have no reason to post more rubbish in every single thread on this board.

You circle-jerkers are just as bad from where I sit.

Your first line is fair. Keep the second line to yourself in future.

eozsmiles

Bench
Born in North Sydney. Followed the North Sydney Bears. They will never be back and now I support no team. Would feel dirty if I did.

IanG

Coach
I started getting into footy at the time that the Knights came into the competition and it's my home town so it was rather easy for me.

Loudstrat

Coach
Did your family support them when you were growing up?
No. Im the grandson of a Bears patriach
Did you live in the area?
Yes
Was there a player in the team you liked?
All of them - Ray Higgs was the first hero though.
Did their playing style attract you?
Playing style - as in flogging Manly often? Hell yeah!
Did your friends go for them?
The wise ones did.

Or was there another reason?
As a lad I started following the Roosters - Artie played for them. Mum asked me one day why I dont follow the Eels. Then I woke up - its sort of like Mum asking "why dont you take your head out of the oven"

Must have been a good idea because even Artie followed me to Parra!

Seeing Three straight helps too. Only a very old Dragons fan could be alive to outdo that!