What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support your team?

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Here in NZ the first GF they ever showed on TV was the 1985 decider between saints and dogs (I was an impressionable 12 year old at the time). Family crest is a red v on a white background, so I took a liking to the jersey, and as time went on I found out more about the history of the club etc and by the time the warriors came along 10 years later I already had one red eye and one white one.

Apey

Staff member
Did your family support them when you were growing up?
Did you live in the area?
Was there a player in the team you liked?
Did their playing style attract you?
Did your friends go for them?

Yes
Yes
Yes (Johns, O'Davis, Chief)
Probably
Some do now

Main reason is parent's influence/grooming, I probably would have been disowned if I went for someone else.

Panfas

Juniors
I started following Penrith since I was a young lad. Living in St Marys at the time you had no choice but to follow the Pennies. Most of my east cost family were Penrith fans, while my west coast family follow the dark code. Lucky I grew up here eh?

I can just barely remember the 1991 grand final (I was only 7). I was a huge fan of Brad Fittler and Matt Sing in the 90's. When Freddy/Sing/Gus left during the SL war my interest drifted a little for a few years, still a big fan but not as much as before. Once we signed Preston Campbell, my love of the club took off again. He was my favourite player at the time.

The 2003 GF was my most memorable game experience ever, and ever since then my passion has not subsided.

I am Penrith till I die.

HowHigh

Coach
Was a bears fan but since they got the flick from the league I needed someone to support.
The dragons were my local team so I went with them.

My family is mostly Canterbury fans, with my Grandpa growing up in Lakemba and my Mum spending some time in Punchbowl. Dad following Canterbury seems to be more about marrying into the Bulldogs. However, I grew up in Penshurst and followed the local team, St George. My Grandpa has only just given up on trying to convert me to Canterbury, and my Mum and I may not speak for weeks depending on the result of a game.

The Director

Juniors
Mum supported Souths. Used to support the Bears but when they announced merge wanted no part of that. So decided to support Souths cause mum did and they were the perennial underdogs. Thanks Mum. Then worked for them and RC for 5 years. Mum passed away in 2010 and the NYC boys wore black arm bands for her in the 2010 GF. all those combined means I'll stick solid.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
I go for NQ because I am a glutton for punishment and love having extremely frustrated weekends during the winter months.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Most successful team in the history of rugby league.

Oldest surviving team in the NRL.

And news ltd hated them and anyone or anything news ltd hates has to be good.

Fire

First Grade
Most successful team in the history of rugby league. In the first 60 years of the competition.

Oldest surviving team in the NRL. Incorrect, the Roosters are.

And news ltd hated them and anyone or anything news ltd hates has to be good. Evidence? News Ltd did not "hate" them, it was simply a business decision.

BunniesMan

Immortal
lol. How did Souffs go in 2000 and 2001?
Ridiculous geniused logic that is a terrible fail of a troll attempt. Not being in the comp for 2 years does not mean the club isn't 104 years old.

Easts have the distinction of being the only club to be part of every season, but we are the oldest club.

Grew up in south east Qld. Mums side of the family were broncos supporters, when I was little I used to go for them. As I got a little older I spent holidays and stuff with family on dads side in Newcastle who were mad knights fans. I decided I liked them more than the broncos and have spent most of my life supporting them.

I remember once whe I was about 14 or so on school holidays we went to Newcastle, it was around that time that odavis and peden had opened up their surf shop. I went in for a look, not for clothes but to see if any players were there. I asked the reception dude where they were and said I was from Qld etc, he gae billy peden a phone call and he came in to the shop just to see me and say hello, then Robbio also rocks up, to top it all off Robbio then invites me to a knights training session, at the end of the session I got to play touch footy with the team. At that moment in my life it was the best thing I had ever experienced.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Most successful team in the history of rugby league. In the first 60 years of the competition.

Oldest surviving team in the NRL. Incorrect, the Roosters are.

And news ltd hated them and anyone or anything news ltd hates has to be good. Evidence? News Ltd did not "hate" them, it was simply a business decision.
1. Most successful team. Period.
2. The Roosters are not. The club that has been part of the comp since 2002 is the same club that was part of the comp from 1908-1999.
3. News hated us.

beave

Coach
Ridiculous geniused logic that is a terrible fail of a troll attempt. Not being in the comp for 2 years does not mean the club isn't 104 years old.

Easts have the distinction of being the only club to be part of every season, but we are the oldest club.

Newtown is older.................

Latest posts