What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Australia RL have to be so arrogant?

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
The attitude to the game by the Australians at this time is yet again nothing but a disgrace. When they should be hyping the tournament they are moaning and instead of pushing the boat out for international league they seem hell bent on destroying it so you can continue to bore people to death with your inward facing (Choose your) State of Origin competition.

So New Zealand want to exploit home advantage and have a LEGAL pitch size that suits their team and its strengths, whats the harm? Surely the oh so mighty and unbeatable Australians wouldn't be hamstrung by such a small action? What do you get? Nothing but childish moaning by Bennett and his cronies.

Then again Test Rugby League arrives in the UK, to the tune of Australians moaning and complaining and acting all elitist about 'their game and their rules'. The first and most offensive thing that has come out of the Roos camp is this absolutely pathetic moaning about the selection of Glen Black for one of the games. This is a referee who has been given rave reviews by SUPER LEAGUE for his performances in our FULLY PROFESSIONAL COMPETITION. Yet Bennett comes out with an incredibly arrogant and ignorant statement about the selection of Black being like him calling up state players for the Roos. That bloke needs a slap.

The next thing that the Australians have found to complain about is this pathetic 'dominant tackle' rule they saw fit to invent without consultation with the international authorities. In the rule books of RUGBY LEAGUE the dominant tackle and the calling of such is absent and quite rightly the referees have been told they are not to use it, because its NOT IN THE RULES. Que the moaning old fart Bennett and his pre-school rant about the Tri-Nations Series (You know this international tournament that is aimed at revitalising the sports international status) being a 'farce'. Yeah, go Bennett that'll have those ticket sales going well.

To all the level headed Australians that inhabit these boards and genuinely care about the sports international image, why do you put up with bafoons like Bennett?

WHY ARE AUSTRALIA BOTHERING TO COME OVER??? :roll:

Skinner

Coach
I think you make some excellent points FG. I'd like to think that (hopefully)
the average Rugby League fan in Australia really wants to get behind growing
the game on an international basis. As is often the case though, the people
charged with the administration of the game become so polarised in their
own little world, they thwart the very best efforts of many folk.

It's not just Australia, all of our national bodies are of the same ilk. Can't
really see it changing anytime soon.... :cry:

Cheers
Skinner

mightypanther

Juniors
To all the level headed Australians that inhabit these boards and genuinely care about the sports international image, why do you put up with bafoons like Bennett?

Because we have absolutely no say in who runs our game, or who coaches it..........that's why.... :roll:

The Colonel

Immortal

We put up with buffoons with Wayne Bennet because they can coach. Similar reason that so many ESL coaches are or used to be Australian...

Azkatro

First Grade
A) The papers are blowing what he's said out of proportion.
B) Bennett wouldn't say what he's said unless he had a good reason to say it.

The Kiwis engaged in a bit of gamesmanship last weekend, and Bennett's obviously decided to do the same. That's what the dominant tackle talk is all about.

Bennett was instrumental in getting this year's game between the Broncos and Cowboys moved up to Townsville for the good of the game. You can't say he doesn't have league's best interests at heart.

nqboy

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
The attitude to the game by the Australians at this time is yet again nothing but a disgrace. When they should be hyping the tournament they are moaning and instead of pushing the boat out for international league they seem hell bent on destroying it so you can continue to bore people to death with your inward facing (Choose your) State of Origin competition.

So New Zealand want to exploit home advantage and have a LEGAL pitch size that suits their team and its strengths, whats the harm? Surely the oh so mighty and unbeatable Australians wouldn't be hamstrung by such a small action? What do you get? Nothing but childish moaning by Bennett and his cronies.

Then again Test Rugby League arrives in the UK, to the tune of Australians moaning and complaining and acting all elitist about 'their game and their rules'. The first and most offensive thing that has come out of the Roos camp is this absolutely pathetic moaning about the selection of Glen Black for one of the games. This is a referee who has been given rave reviews by SUPER LEAGUE for his performances in our FULLY PROFESSIONAL COMPETITION. Yet Bennett comes out with an incredibly arrogant and ignorant statement about the selection of Black being like him calling up state players for the Roos. That bloke needs a slap.

The next thing that the Australians have found to complain about is this pathetic 'dominant tackle' rule they saw fit to invent without consultation with the international authorities. In the rule books of RUGBY LEAGUE the dominant tackle and the calling of such is absent and quite rightly the referees have been told they are not to use it, because its NOT IN THE RULES. Que the moaning old fart Bennett and his pre-school rant about the Tri-Nations Series (You know this international tournament that is aimed at revitalising the sports international status) being a 'farce'. Yeah, go Bennett that'll have those ticket sales going well.

WHY ARE AUSTRALIA BOTHERING TO COME OVER??? :roll:
I agree with Skinner, some excellent points made. Some, not all.

I liked the "Choose your" shot, we're hopelessly divided on that one over here. Fair call.

The narrow field? Another fair call, but I'm not sure Bennett was leading the charge on that one and I don't think it's too much to ask for field dimesnisons to be the same everywhere.

Glen Black has reffed Super League? It seems Bennett is labouring under a misapprehension on this one. He stated that Black had reffed only Bartercard Cup and the step up from that to test footy would be like picking someone from the Qld Cup for Australia. So that one's 50-50 on your criticism of Bennett.

Dominant tackle? Bennett has been one of its main opponents in the NRL, consistently claiming its interpretation is far too liberal. Fair call on the rule being ignored as being an NRL invention. Since the NRL invented it, the NRL have to live with the consequences of playing in other comps without it. So Bennett beats the rap on that one.

The Tri-series farce? Fair call by Bennett, he's criticising the NRL as much as anyone here for not getting together with the RLIF and GB and NZ federations to have some consistency.

The tri-series concept came as a result of a suggestion by, you guessed it, Wayne Bennett. He values international footy as much as anyone in the game and had the balls to use his influence to make it happen. His criticisms are against the administrators for their lack of consistency and they seem to be. He has always stated, and recently re-iterated, that he is an Australian first and a Queenslander second. Presumably, being a Bronco, for him, comes somewhere after that. A rare exception to the admittedly arrogant Sydney-centric and then Australian views held, though not always readily admitted, by the powers that be over here.

In conclusion, your criticisms of Australian arrogance are valid, you just nominated the wrong suspect.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
In all fairness to WB, i haven't heard him bitching about it.

I've heard dickhead Aussies, Geoff Wanker Carr and Darren Lockyer bitching.

But not WB.

strong_latte

Juniors
... thats interesting, I know it may sound insular, but I wasn't aware that the dominant tackle rule didn't apply everywhere else... Oh well, if they could cope without it last time, then they should be fine this time to.

Anyway though, as for us being "arrogant" etc, I think you have to realise that the entire tournament has been purposely tipped in GB favour because of your highly unsuccessful record against us over the past 35 years... That said, all 3 ashes tests earlier this year were brilliant and GB are certainly getting back up to standard and therefore Wayne Bennett and other people involved in the Australian Rugby League are keen to make sure we don't give the Lions and GB Rugby League too many more advantages considering you have been alloud quite a few already...
Also, no offence, but I've watched some ESL and several tests which were commentated by your lot and they whinge worse than anybody! They'll excuse ANYTHING a GB player does and make excuses for them all night long, but will bitch NON-STOP about how unfair things are and how much the Aussies (or kiwi's) are getting away with!!! I had to turn the commentary off last time during the ashes! it was THAT BAD!

nqboy

First Grade
If you start from the viewpoint that Mike Stephenson and Eddie Hemmings could not possibly be serious (and let's face it, who could take them seriously?) it's really quite entertaining, sort of like Roy and H.G.

dimitri

First Grade
IanRitchie said:
In all fairness to WB, i haven't heard him bitching about it.

I've heard dickhead Aussies, Geoff Wanker Carr and Darren Lockyer bitching.

But not WB.

i agree

its a load of crap though anyway

both teams played on it

i dont care if the field was the size of a cricket pitch

gaterooze

Bench
Don't worry, it all gets the public fired up and interested in the game. If they think the "bad guys" are trying to "cheat," then they'll have more reason to watch & back the Roos!

The papers know this, that's why they print that stuff.

strong_latte

Juniors
The fact is we never play against them down here anymore though... It's always up there with their systems etc.

vbfg

Juniors
Just in case anyone's in any doubt, on one side of the pitch will be a line. From that line to the one on the other side is the width of the pitch. The official notification from the RFL ought to be a drawing of the same on the back of a androtop packet.

bartman

Immortal
Agree, and I'm an Aussie!

I'm sick of hearing/reading about the Australian squad's problems with the narrow ground (who cares, it was within the rules) or problems about a particular NZ ref (who cares, you need a neutral ref, and a chance for them to develop at international level like players).

I think maybe egos were bruised (and $$$ gambled/lost) by the 16-all draw last week...

DIEHARD

----
EVERYONE BOW DOWN TO THE ALMIGHTY AUSTRALIAN KANGAROOS!!!!!

Esspecially you Fairleigh Good....