What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Sydney media hate rugby league?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It seems a uniquely Sydney media thing to bag the most popular sport in the city. Ive never seen it anywhere else in Australia so why does the Sydney media like to run down the NRL so much?

Just flicked onto the SMH main sports page and the headline boxes are:
1. Neil Henry left flabbergasted - negative NRL story on refs performance
2. More than 20 players test positive after mad Monday - negative NRL story on druggie players
3. Swans and Giants cap cal afl invasion - positive story on afl expansion in Sydney

Daily telegraph
1. Swans giants biggest show in town- comparison story being positive to afl and critical of NRL
2. Positive story on Panther
3. Negative Wilson story on Greenberg
4. Positive story on Bellamy
5. Positive afl story

At least DT is a bit more balanced but still leads with a story promoting afl over NRL

The NRL need some serious media strategy to get Sydney media turned around. No wonder Sydney people dont go to games if this is the public perception being created.

Marlins

Juniors
It's disgusting how the Sydney media treats the NRL even Fox seems against the league and is all pro AFL. The NRL doesn't help its self either with little consistency in the rules of the game. Ppl like Matty johns don't help who constiantly bag the games officials out. The commentators need to change there style and not have such strong negative opinions on the games and officials well at least on air. It just seems like everything is against the NRL. Why did the match fixing claims come up days before the finals. The clubs don't help and ppl like Phil Gould should shut the f**k up in general. Seriously you can't blame the NRL for the parramatta saga this year the merkins who were running the club there were f**ked. If I was in control of the game I would of taken there license off them and put them in the nsw cup. What's Tgburg suppose to do? He wants to keep Positive stories but the the Sydney media only wants negative from the NRL and unfortunately between the clubs, The rules and the players they serve it up on a silver platter. The NRL is stuck between half the fans (former players) wanting the 80's style back and the NRL trying to turn the game into a Nfl style league in Australia. I seriously think if the NRL don't come to goods with the clubs when the next Tv deal comes through there's going to be a SL2 and that is exactly what the Sydney media wants. Things will get a lot worse before the get better I fear.

taipan

Referee
When the Telegraph gives a few lines ,down the bottom of a page in their paper,about Albert Proud Brisbane Lions player being jailed for 5 years ,belting his partner,yet provides back and or front page ,to egg throwing,you know what rugby league is up against.
There has been SFA mention of the GWS player and the drug allegation involving two GWS officials.
When the Herald and ch7 state Steve Matai had his phone confiscated by police ,which didn't happen,you know you are dealing with the lowest of low journalistic standards.

Frilingos,Gibson,Clarkson were A grade journos by comparison to this current lot of gutter sweepers,and gentlemen at the same time.

News Ltd media thrives on the sensational,sexist,sadistic,sewer material,because they know mugs out there (and I have been guilty) of buying their printed trash.
People are being bombed in Syria ,but joe blow had his phone confiscated so we will converge on his home and make it front page news.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Murdoch is shelled out billions on AFL just because Smith had the temerity to stand up to him,you get nowhere in NEWS CORP papers unless you kiss Murdoch arse constantly.
Murdoch Sports writers DO WHAT THEY ARE TOLD if they don't they don't stay,until he is dead that's how it is he has a history of running Govts like the present one, he has his hooks into AFL.
When push come to shove in that game and Murdoch don't like it we will see what happens, most of his sports jurnos in Sydney are 3rd raters but very good at obeying orders

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still doesn't really explain why the media gives it to the most popular sport. If the "it bleeds it leads" theory was true wouldnt it be the same for other sports in other cities? League in Brisbane doesn't seem to cop it, afl in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide certainly doesn't. Must be something in the water In Sydney, or rugby league fans in Sydney are more apathetic and just accept it, or NRL is very bad at media management?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Because most of them are Victorians or union Vichy supporters that want to see rugby league die. They must think all the RL people will jump on board their fav sport or something. Good luck with that, I'll watch nothing over the other footy codes or do some extra gardening, I quite like watching grass grow and it's more entertaining than all the other three combined.

maccattack

Juniors
I went to an NRL forum last week. Todd Greenburg was there along with a media executive. Greenburg actually impressed me (to a point ) against expectations.
The media fart sat there playing with his phone the whole night.
When I asked a question about media bias, i actually attacked their media approach.
As I asked he staid with his phone for most of my attack. Only to respond with "They love a negative story"

It was quite a pathetic response. He couldnt wait to get to the pub.

Greenburg responded with "we need to do better".

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Look, I'd actually argue the opposite. Who wants to take the Melbourne route of sweeping problems under the carpet? The media is bloodthirsty, but at least rugby league can say it is honest.

Drug cheating? Ok for the attempted carpet treatment in Melbourne.
Sexual assault? Hush money!
Salary cap cheating? Paid advertisements!

No thanks. No.

Look, I'd actually argue the opposite. Who wants to take the Melbourne route of sweeping problems under the carpet? The media is bloodthirsty, but at least rugby league can say it is honest.

Drug cheating? Ok for the attempted carpet treatment in Melbourne.
Sexual assault? Hush money!
Salary cap cheating? Paid advertisements!

No thanks. No.

I agree to a large degree.

But the nrl needs to take some ownership with a better media liaison type thing. Even the language they use can be open and transparent but not beholden to the hand wringing hacks.

Rlpa should be doing more and better for players.

Pommy

Coach
It seems a uniquely Sydney media thing to bag the most popular sport in the city. Ive never seen it anywhere else in Australia so why does the Sydney media like to run down the NRL so much?

Just flicked onto the SMH main sports page and the headline boxes are:
1. Neil Henry left flabbergasted - negative NRL story on refs performance
2. More than 20 players test positive after mad Monday - negative NRL story on druggie players
3. Swans and Giants cap cal afl invasion - positive story on afl expansion in Sydney

Daily telegraph
1. Swans giants biggest show in town- comparison story being positive to afl and critical of NRL
2. Positive story on Panther
3. Negative Wilson story on Greenberg
4. Positive story on Bellamy
5. Positive afl story

At least DT is a bit more balanced but still leads with a story promoting afl over NRL

The NRL need some serious media strategy to get Sydney media turned around. No wonder Sydney people dont go to games if this is the public perception being created.

Pretty much how the national football team is treated at home. Negative stories about AFL wouldn't sell papers in Sydney as despite the good crowd today the vast majority couldn't give a shit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
More that there is not e negativity about afl in afl cities Li,e there is about NRL in Sydney. Even in Brisbane NRL doesn't get hammered like Sydney. There must be plenty of Sydney media people in powerful positions that just do t like the sport, or NRL is so inept at media management they feel they have free reign.

IT's interesting how the SMH language changes.

Yesterday afternoon, last evening it was AFL delivers savage blow to NRL in Western Sydney.

Today, the rhetoric is moderated, with a more 'AFL comes of age in Western Sydney'.

And yet despite it all, no one really gives a f*** about it. Hell, even ABC Sports news is concentrating more on the Adelaide game.

TheRam

Coach
From what I understand it has a lot to do with the AFL's smart media setup at Etihad Stadium. The have created a full on media centre there that allows 40 or 50 juros to go there every day and the AFL management/marketing arm then feed them new, obviously positive stories. I can remember the exact details, but it is something like a new batch of stories every half or hour.

This way the AFL rightly figured out that they will then be able to continually leading the media cycle all day long with stories and also drown out all their opposition for space on all media platforms. The reporters themselves love this because it makes their lives so much easier and fills the demands of their employer for new stories to fill air time or inches. They treat these media types like kings and queens also with gratuities. So if any of these reporters were to put a rocket up the AFL's arse to much, then they would be denied this iner sanctum access that they currently enjoy. In other words they have been made welcome as part of the AFL family and you don't rat on family.

Needles to say they the NRL is totally lacking in this regard, not to mention in almost all other aspects of the game also behind the AFL.

Is anyone surprised?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Savage blow?

Crowds are declining,this is the first blip upwards for the vfl in years. Savage blow?

Ha. Rugby league has punched itself in the face way harder than the vfl ever could.

taipan

Referee
You should have seen the Offsiders today.Whatley wetting himself with excitement over the GHWS/Swans fumblefest.10 minutes on the AFL semis with all the Tv shots and .All very nice,but expected.

Then wait for it, 4minutes on the NRL semis,a couple of brief TV shots ,no mention off the Brisbane match.And again wait for it 4 minutes on alleged NRL match fixing and egging.And wait for it,who was one of the panel, yep Massoud.
The same guy who accused Matai of having his phone confiscated.
The print media has it in for the NRL,but the Offsiders(tax payer funded) is up there with them.An AFL caller,moderating the show.Expect balance LOL.
The media gets need to be exposed for what they are,blatantly biased ,berks.

TheRam

Coach
You should have seen the Offsiders today.Whatley wetting himself with excitement over the GHWS/Swans fumblefest.10 minutes on the AFL semis with all the Tv shots and .All very nice,but expected.

Then wait for it, 4minutes on the NRL semis,a couple of brief TV shots ,no mention off the Brisbane match.And again wait for it 4 minutes on alleged NRL match fixing and egging.And wait for it,who was one of the panel, yep Massoud.
The same guy who accused Matai of having his phone confiscated.
The print media has it in for the NRL,but the Offsiders(tax payer funded) is up there with them.An AFL caller,moderating the show.Expect balance LOL.
The media gets need to be exposed for what they are,blatantly biased ,berks.

Should of seen yourself watching the Offsiders, then seen yourself typing your critic of watching them publicly masturbate over their growing dominance in our market place. What a genius.

When will you morons learn. Give them nothing. That's what they do and all you dickheads do is whinge like victims while supporting their shameful bias vomiting crap.

Give them nothing. Only watch, click, read or listen to pro league stuff. Anything else just feeds them with victories over the NRL's ineptitude in managing our game correctly. Imagine if virtually no one watched that show from the Eastern States? How long do you think it would last in its current format or at all?

Grow some discipline people. This is a war. Behave like it. Stop being traitors!