What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don’t teams punch on more often?

Meth

Staff member
The way I see it-

Tom Burgess sent off.

Sam Burgess sent off.

Knights play 13 on 11.

I can understand why Saifiti was binned. He threw a punch. But once you get headbutted, you should be allowed to defend yourself IMO. It's kind of like giving a bloke a ticket for jay-walking when he's fleeing from a crazy bloke with a knife.

Fitzgibbon only went because the refs feel a need for punishment (like penalty counts) to be even.

skeepe

Immortal
Am I the only one that forgets that Sam is going for surgery and will be out for 4-5 weeks anyway. Knew what he was doing and still the biggest grub in tha game

But that 4-5 weeks is only 2 games. Surely, with his priors, a headbutt and a coward punch puts him out longer than that.

HowHigh

Coach
Good plan until you hit Nat Myles or Ben Creagh reverses...…..
creagh.gif

Fangs

Coach
That was a pen because the first foul play was the dangerous tackle, so thats why the pen stayed against Manly.
As i didnt hear the refs reason why it was a Pen against the Knights here, only that it was against Saifiti. I dont know if it was the fact that he threw the first punch missing the headbutt completely, or if it was because of something else in the tackle they saw under review and deemed it as the cause of the melee.
But both Burgess boys will be suspended for their headbutts by the MRC thats for sure.

Sure. How about a sin bin though?

Mr Spock!

Referee
The way I see it-

Tom Burgess sent off.

Sam Burgess sent off.

Knights play 13 on 11.

I can understand why Saifiti was binned. He threw a punch. But once you get headbutted, you should be allowed to defend yourself IMO. It's kind of like giving a bloke a ticket for jay-walking when he's fleeing from a crazy bloke with a knife.

Fitzgibbon only went because the refs feel a need for punishment (like penalty counts) to be even.

If you're going to send blokes off for rubbing heads, you may as well send them off for grabbing jerseys, swearing and looking angry.

Sad to see nrl basically become afl.

aqua_duck

Coach
You can literally see the arm raise and hit him after sam rushes in and punches him on the long shot.
Once again, if you cant see it, thats on you.
Honestly if you can see it then freeze frame and post it otherwise shut the f**k up and stop talking shit

Perth Red

Post Whore
One of the few highlights of a dire game played in an empty stadium. Bring back the biff.

Meth

Staff member
If you're going to send blokes off for rubbing heads, you may as well send them off for grabbing jerseys, swearing and looking angry.

Sad to see nrl basically become afl.

G Burgess instigated the whole thing with his head.

Burgess ran in and used his head.

You get sin binned for a punch. It makes sense that the penalty is harsher if you use your head.

To me, it doesn’t matter whether you throw a good head butt or not. If you use your head, it’s a head butt. It’s plainly different from ‘grabbing jerseys, swearing and looking angry’ ffs

skeepe

Immortal
And hang on. So running from distance, punching someone in the back of the head and then headbutting them = approx $1500 fine.

Accidentally making contact with someone’s eyes while trying to give an admittedly dumb facial = 5-7 weeks.

The MRC are f**ked.

aqua_duck

Coach
And hang on. So running from distance, punching someone in the back of the head and then headbutting them = approx $1500 fine.

Accidentally making contact with someone’s eyes while trying to give an admittedly dumb facial = 5-7 weeks.

The MRC are f**ked.
The Burgess boys are a protected species, would you expect any different? Also both Burgess bros and Saifiti received fines, Fitzgibbon did not do obviously even the MRC didn't see this mystery punch that M2D2 saw

ReddFelon

Juniors
You get sin binned for a punch. It makes sense that the penalty is harsher if you use your head.

Why? Because your understanding of fighting is so limited that you automatically assume headbutts do more damage?

Latest posts