What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't we ever "raid" Union?

Tiger Shark

Bench
We do raid rugby- it’s just that we get them for cheap when they’re young, not for millions in their prime.
Was going to say this. Bingo.

We get them when they’re playing both games or only Union and clubs are already out recruiting 16 yr olds and offering great money for that age

Colk

First Grade
Interesting debate.

The reason in my opinion is that if they are not an elite player in union they are generally only going to be an ok player in league. So it is a risk-reward thing right away

If they are an elite player there are opportunities to earn more money overseas and travel which doesn’t really exist in league. Their international game is a lot more attractive as a proposition. Not saying that League doesn’t have these opportunities or has an international game but it is frankly not as well developed or promoted as the rahs rahs.

taste2taste

Juniors
Japan also- perfect option for many players to top up salaries.

In terms of England- add on match fees for playing internationals 10-12 times a year. It’s close to 50k AUD a game. Bonuses on top. There’s a reason why Owen Farrell stick around Saracens when they were relegated for breaching salary cap rules.

Posted elsewhere but Dupont who is the star man for France gets 1m AUD just for playing for Tolouse. He’ll double that with France.
Imo that's not massive money, if the elite of the elite of rugby are earning close to 2mil we aren't too far off, especially as our cap rises. If we were allowed Marquee players we could easily match unions money.

It will be interesting too see how the class action effects world rugby. If successful the hand downs that countries rely on could be significantly lowered.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So if you play league you're not allowed to get a passport?

'Travel ' is another of the rugger brigades myths used to make them feel relevant. They travel to train and play a game. Then they get on a plane to train and play a game. Not to see the sights of the world. If they're lucky they might get to see big ben or the Eiffel tower again. Because if they go anywhere its the UK or France. Or New Zealand. Which NRL players do anyway.

NRL players, in fact ordinary plebs like me and you, are allowed to travel too.

taste2taste

Juniors
Gus Gould is right regarding Suaalii, he's nothing but a walking billboard for rugby at this piont.
Rugby have had front page headlines all week and everytime Suaallii does something good in the game it's an advert for Rugby.

The ARU would love it if he was selected for Origin and ended his career with the Roostrts winning the comp, massive TV audience all watching the human Rugby billboard.

As Gus said..bye bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out

Last edited:

taste2taste

Juniors
So if you play league you're not allowed to get a passport?

'Travel ' is another of the rugger brigades myths used to make them feel relevant. They travel to train and play a game. Then they get on a plane to train and play a game. Not to see the sights of the world. If they're lucky they might get to see big ben or the Eiffel tower again. Because if they go anywhere its the UK or France. Or New Zealand. Which NRL players do anyway.

NRL players, in fact ordinary plebs like me and you, are allowed to travel too.
Most Rufby players hate the travel, it takes 36 hrs to get to Argentina Ouch !
Mat Rogers said his dislike for living out of a suitcase was one of the main reasons he returned to league.

Wb1234

Referee
In this day and age if the NRL tried it someone one would probably go to court over it and get it tossed out as a "restraint of trade". Mind you I understand where you are coming from and agree with the sentiment.
Ok fair enough if not outright bans force them to play for the tigers or titans when they come back

Wb1234

Referee
Japan also- perfect option for many players to top up salaries.

In terms of England- add on match fees for playing internationals 10-12 times a year. It’s close to 50k AUD a game. Bonuses on top. There’s a reason why Owen Farrell stick around Saracens when they were relegated for breaching salary cap rules.

Posted elsewhere but Dupont who is the star man for France gets 1m AUD just for playing for Tolouse. He’ll double that with France.
So sualli is close to one of the highest paid union players in the world and he hasn’t even played the game at a high level ?

wow they most really rate the roosters and south’s development abilities

BODISGOD

Bench
Gus Gould is right regarding Suaalii, he's nothing but a walking billboard for rugby at this piont.
Rugby have had front page headlines all week and everytime Suaallii does something good in the game it's an advert for Rugby.

The ARU would love it if he was selected for Origin and ended his career with the Roostrts winning the comp, massive TV audience all watching the human Rugby billboard.

As Gus said..bye bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out
Probably good for a couple of years.

I guess long term it’s more they can live in the South of France or Japan & earn good wedge. Italy is an option too if you would take less, though they try and avoid signing foreign players now.

BODISGOD

Bench
Imo that's not massive money, if the elite of the elite of rugby are earning close to 2mil we aren't too far off, especially as our cap rises. If we were allowed Marquee players we could easily match unions money.

It will be interesting too see how the class action effects world rugby. If successful the hand downs that countries rely on could be significantly lowered.
True but it just isn’t worth the NRL’s while.

I don’t think they can attract the best on balance and league players are worth more to the likes of Rugby Australia than the NRL. I mention Dupont for France who incredible- most would shrug their shoulders at him in Sydney though and you’d be paying top dollar.

BODISGOD

Bench
So sualli is close to one of the highest paid union players in the world and he hasn’t even played the game at a high level ?

wow they most really rate the roosters and south’s development abilities
Seems that way alright. Fair play to him.

Wb1234

Referee

I guess long term it’s more they can live in the South of France or Japan & earn good wedge. Italy is an option too if you would take less, though they try and avoid signing foreign players now.
Why would an Aussie want to live in those countries

you know league players are allowed to go on holidays there don’t you ? It’s not like they are banned from visiting

Pierced Soul

First Grade
15-20 years ago, I'd have been in the 'ban them ' brigade. As I'm older I've realised that in rugby league we need to stop being so insecure about a player leaving to another code. Whether he's a rugby junior or league junior, he's going for the money and the opportunities of playing internationally that we can't match. So what? Let him go. The way league sometimes acts, it's like we've raised him from birth and taught him how to walk.

He's no doubt a talented player, but in the NRL there's dozens of players I enjoy watching play ahead of him.

Everytime a player has left the NRL for either rugby or Super league the NRL has never been weakened. We always find someone to fill the gaps, we always forget about the player who left. If I'm the roosters, I'm looking to get the most out of him for the rest of his contract and trying to win a comp - doesn't matter if he's leaving in 18 months, if he's the best choice you pick him.

I do hope though that the judiciary will actually suspend him for his shit now

Pneuma

First Grade

Nothing beats a good wedge.