What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't we ever "raid" Union?

Pneuma

First Grade
15-20 years ago, I'd have been in the 'ban them ' brigade. As I'm older I've realised that in rugby league we need to stop being so insecure about a player leaving to another code. Whether he's a rugby junior or league junior, he's going for the money and the opportunities of playing internationally that we can't match. So what? Let him go. The way league sometimes acts, it's like we've raised him from birth and taught him how to walk.

He's no doubt a talented player, but in the NRL there's dozens of players I enjoy watching play ahead of him.

Everytime a player has left the NRL for either rugby or Super league the NRL has never been weakened. We always find someone to fill the gaps, we always forget about the player who left. If I'm the roosters, I'm looking to get the most out of him for the rest of his contract and trying to win a comp - doesn't matter if he's leaving in 18 months, if he's the best choice you pick him.

I do hope though that the judiciary will actually suspend him for his shit now
Good post. But it’s brought back an old union hack in Bod to troll the discussion so that’s amusing.

taste2taste

Juniors
15-20 years ago, I'd have been in the 'ban them ' brigade. As I'm older I've realised that in rugby league we need to stop being so insecure about a player leaving to another code. Whether he's a rugby junior or league junior, he's going for the money and the opportunities of playing internationally that we can't match. So what? Let him go. The way league sometimes acts, it's like we've raised him from birth and taught him how to walk.

He's no doubt a talented player, but in the NRL there's dozens of players I enjoy watching play ahead of him.

Everytime a player has left the NRL for either rugby or Super league the NRL has never been weakened. We always find someone to fill the gaps, we always forget about the player who left. If I'm the roosters, I'm looking to get the most out of him for the rest of his contract and trying to win a comp - doesn't matter if he's leaving in 18 months, if he's the best choice you pick him.

The difference here is that Suaalii and his manager have played the NRL for fools. It was always the plan to go to Union, he just needed a few years in the NRL to build the hype. Souths saw this with his 'get out clauses' and rightfully told him to F'off.
The fact he opted into next year's Roosters contract and then weeks later announced the Wallabies deal without giving the Roosters a chance to counter offer shows they have been playing Politis and the Roosters as idiots.
The next 2 years he will be nothing more than a human billboard for rugby, you might as well have a big wallabies Logo printed on the field.
I'd be certain Politis would be working behind the scenes to get him out now , it's already been reported they want a swap with Jorgenson from the tahs, or bring Dom Young over from the Knights a year early.

JamesRustle

First Grade
I don't think Gus went far enough with his rant... there should be a 50% reduction in penalty for offences against players that have signed for RU.

Would like to see Robbo play him in the forwards for the last 6 weeks of his contract and send him broken to RU.

Wb1234

Referee

H

A
I don't think Gus went far enough with his rant... there should be a 50% reduction in penalty for offences against players that have signed for RU.

Would like to see Robbo play him in the forwards for the last 6 weeks of his contract and send him broken to RU.
Hahahah love this

bazza

Referee
Interesting debate.

The reason in my opinion is that if they are not an elite player in union they are generally only going to be an ok player in league. So it is a risk-reward thing right away

If they are an elite player there are opportunities to earn more money overseas and travel which doesn’t really exist in league. Their international game is a lot more attractive as a proposition. Not saying that League doesn’t have these opportunities or has an international game but it is frankly not as well developed or promoted as the rahs rahs.
opportunities in the NRL would be for union players on the fringe of a super rugby team that doesn't want to go overseas
in this case it would be the players approaching NRL clubs rather than the NRL chasing players. Also would be more opportunities with 17 nrl teams now
But they would likely be regular first graders at best rather than top liners and hardly do much to attract supporters over

bazza

Referee
This dopey troll thinks the only way an Aussie can see europe or Japan is by signing a contract with a union club
tbf living overseas is different from going on a holiday
plenty of people in Australia move overseas for work that isn't playing a form of rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
With Clearys drop goal abilities he'll be next lol
Shame NRL is losing him, he looked like the next gen of FB to come through but like said theres plenty more fish in the sea.

re travelling overseas, players will often cite tours as there fave memories playing the game, I can see wwy the opportunity to do more tours and play in big full stadiums overseas is attractive to some, especially of they are throwing $1.6mill a year at you to do so!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
The difference here is that Suaalii and his manager have played the NRL for fools. It was always the plan to go to Union, he just needed a few years in the NRL to build the hype. Souths saw this with his 'get out clauses' and rightfully told him to F'off.
The fact he opted into next year's Roosters contract and then weeks later announced the Wallabies deal without giving the Roosters a chance to counter offer shows they have been playing Politis and the Roosters as idiots.

Given he refused to commit for more than a season at a time tells you everything you needed to know about his motives. Souths initially signed him with this clause, the roosters accepted this clause. He hasn't played them - these clubs were so blindsided by the idea he's the reincarnation of Clive Churchill they were willing to let a kid with no runs on the board dictate terms.

I couldn't believe Souths initially agreed, and then the roosters agreed, how many other players in the NRL have a yearly get out clause?

Reading posts of fans from both codes, they've speculated for years he'd switch in time for the rugby world cup, or the English tour whenever that is. If armchair experts saw it coming, why didn't the chooks? The manager never went back to the roosters because he was never planning on staying. The roosters could have offered him more and I think he'd still have gone

Perth Red

Post Whore
How do we know Roosters weren't aware? There's a reason they re-signed Tedesco after all. Wouldnt surprise me if they didnt have some sort of first dibs if/when you come back under the table deal with him.

taste2taste

Juniors
How do we know Roosters weren't aware? There's a reason they re-signed Tedesco after all. Wouldnt surprise me if they didnt have some sort of first dibs if/when you come back under the table deal with him.
Rothfield said he spoke to Politis, apparently he wasn't aware of a deal and wasn't given the chance to counter offer.
Buzz = facts !!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The reality is our game is small fry outside Australia compared to union. Why would union players switch, absolutely no need for them to do so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rothfield said he spoke to Politis, apparently he wasn't aware of a deal and wasn't given the chance to counter offer.
Buzz = facts !!
yeh it came from Rothfield hence my suspicion at whats actually transpired! I can see Tedesco signing another 1 year until end of 2026 then 2028 Sualli returns on a massive contract.

With Clearys drop goal abilities he'll be next lol
Shame NRL is losing him, he looked like the next gen of FB to come through but like said theres plenty more fish in the sea.

re travelling overseas, players will often cite tours as there fave memories playing the game, I can see wwy the opportunity to do more tours and play in big full stadiums overseas is attractive to some, especially of they are throwing $1.6mill a year at you to do so!
Yeah Cleary would have been better for a $1.6m p.a. punt. Also Cleary has already achieved everything there is in league to do.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah Cleary would have been better for a $1.6m p.a. punt. Also Cleary has already achieved everything there is in league to do.
He’s already on 1.3 or 1.4 million

they would need to make it well over 2 million a season to be worth it

but they should chase spine players not wingers

BlueandGold

Juniors

Union would have to offer 2.5m a year to get Cleary who is on 1.4m a year currently.

Rule of thumb, union will have to pay close to double to get Top NRL players to cross codes.