What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Every team can win the comp this year

nqboy

First Grade
DJ1 said:
Panthers - still have a great roster and have a large group of players at the club that were victorious in 2003. Any side that has Gower, Cambell, Wesser, Clinton, pulatua, Rooney and lewis has to have a good chance of the title. Unfortunately, the Gower incident and then the backstabbing of Lang will divert focus from where it needs to be.
And they lack centres.

DJ1 said:
Souths - No. They needed Harrison and either Anasta or Orford.
Anasta AND Orford. And Bell. And Ross.

DJ1

Juniors
Dragons - Should have won last year and every other year we hear the same story. Have about 1000 origin players in the line up. Will start favourites for the premiership. St George cannot win because Nathan Brown cannot coach finals football. He is still one of the boys despite the odd slap here and there. There will also be a growing disharmony within the ranks due to who's staying, who's leaving and who is or isn't taking paycuts to keep the Jubilee Idols. They are so good at choking you would think that Brian Smith had once coached the club.

Parramatta - Probably have the 2nd best roster in the NRL. Have shown they have the ability to destroy any side on their day. Parramatta cannot win this year because of the Brian Smith issue. The situation will progressively get worse throughout the season with Smith exiting before the finals get here. The Choking culture is still alive and well.

Haven't seen anything to change my mind yet.

DJ1

Juniors
Dragons - Should have won last year and every other year we hear the same story. Have about 1000 origin players in the line up. Will start favourites for the premiership. St George cannot win because Nathan Brown cannot coach finals football. He is still one of the boys despite the odd slap here and there. There will also be a growing disharmony within the ranks due to who's staying, who's leaving and who is or isn't taking paycuts to keep the Jubilee Idols. They are so good at choking you would think that Brian Smith had once coached the club.

Parramatta - Probably have the 2nd best roster in the NRL. Have shown they have the ability to destroy any side on their day. Parramatta cannot win this year because of the Brian Smith issue. The situation will progressively get worse throughout the season with Smith exiting before the finals get here. The Choking culture is still alive and well.

Panthers - still have a great roster and have a large group of players at the club that were victorious in 2003. Any side that has Gower, Cambell, Wesser, Clinton, pulatua, Rooney and lewis has to have a good chance of the title. Unfortunately, the Gower incident and then the backstabbing of Lang will divert focus from where it needs to be.

Sharks - Perhaps its a bit of the case of "it has to happen one day". They are well overdue for one. Just like if a poker player plays enough hands, he will eventually get that Royal flush. Whilst this viewpoint may encourage Sharks fans, anyone with an understanding of poker or probalility theory will clearly see that a royal flush only occurs once every 649,740 attempts and the Sharks have only had 39. Long way to go. They simply don't have a winning culture. They could've had one but didn't have the stomach to let Anderson finish the job.

Raiders - Elliots mind will be on warmer climates. Too much development work to do.

Newcastle - Cannot win this year due to Joey either being injured, holding back from giving 100% cause he doesn't want to get injured, Joey's mind on his future Footy show career, Hagan wanting out or the squad wanting to impress their 2007 coach with a solid example of choking.

Warriors - What a controversy it would be if they were to get up this year. The loss of 4 points may see the warriors adapt 'the throw the ball around and see what happens' approach. Seige mentality can pull a team together, but the Villasanti refusal proves they haven't got what it takes this year. Certain teams can thrive and excel on the field whilst the club is in the midst of dramatic adversity. This is not one of them.

Souths - No. They needed Harrison and either Anasta or Orford.

Tigers - Have a stronger side this year than what they had to win the title last year. Unfortunately for them, every team lifts to play the "premiers".

Here we are after round 5.

Knights are still travelling well but the Joey missing factor has already raised it's head once.

Panthers are still up there but have now lost Gower for how long?

The teams that I selected prior to the start of the season as chances for the title were ranked 3,4,6,7,9 and 10,

Roosters 3 currently 3
Broncos 4 currently 5
Bulldogs 6 currently 7
Cowboys 7 currently 1
Sea Eagles 9 currently 8
Storm 10 currently 6

All are currently in the top 8.

Storm could struggle without Slater for 7 weeks.

There is still a very long way to go.

Can the favourites prior to the season commencement Dragons and Eels recover?

Azkatro

First Grade
I don't think too many would disagree if I suggested that right now, only two teams can win the competition - Cowboys & Knights. Yes it's only round 5, but I'm amazed that so few teams have shown, well... anything really.

What it means is that there are plenty of available spots for other teams to step up. Behind those two at the moment I like the way the Roosters and Sea Eagles are starting to take shape. They have the makings of teams that can really gain momentum through the season.

Azkatro said:
I don't think too many would disagree if I suggested that right now, only two teams can win the competition - Cowboys & Knights. Yes it's only round 5, but I'm amazed that so few teams have shown, well... anything really.

What it means is that there are plenty of available spots for other teams to step up. Behind those two at the moment I like the way the Roosters and Sea Eagles are starting to take shape. They have the makings of teams that can really gain momentum through the season.
If the season ended last weekend, then yes I would agree with you but the chances of either Cowboys or Knights winning the comp depends largely on how Thurston or Johns fares for the rest of the season.

The only thing I'm certain of is that Souths wont be in it.

Iafeta

Referee
Azkatro said:

Anything that happen.

One team who has kind of drifted in under the radar is Penrith. They're going gangbusters.

But remember, likewise with the Knights and the Cowboys, its only round 5.

We've seen year after year where teams who are going gangbusters by this stage only need a slight change in form and they're half a chance for the spoon by season's end.

brooksy19

Bench
I love these idiots pulling up this thread after 5 rounds. We don't know jack yet, stop trying to be nostrodamus.

gaterooze

Bench
Last season after five rounds the hot teams were the Sharks, Raiders and Manly. Look at where they ended the year.

The Dragons, Tigers and Eels were garbage this time last year -- they finished the season 1, 2, and premiers.

pantherz9103

First Grade
gaterooze said:
Last season after five rounds the hot teams were the Sharks, Raiders and Manly. Look at where they ended the year.

The Dragons, Tigers and Eels were garbage this time last year -- they finished the season 1, 2, and premiers.

Tigers actually did well in the first five rounds last year with 3 wins, 1 loss and 1 bye.

pantherz9103

First Grade
DJ1 said:
Panthers are still up there but have now lost Gower for how long?

quote]

I don't think its going to be that long. We showed yesterday how good we can play, even without Gower on the paddock.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Teams 1, 2 and the Premiers from last year are out of the top 8 after 5 rounds.

Latest posts