What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why expand?

McCrud

Juniors
With news of the AFL's impending assault on the Gold Coast and Western Sydney, isn't it time the NRL countered by publicly advocating it's long-term goals for the future of the game? The last few weeks have seen the AFL put in place it's plan for the future, and no matter what we as Rugby League fans think of the AFL we must admire the strong and clear message the AFL heirachy is sending to the sporting world. It's a message of strength and confidence in their game and their product.

The 100 year celebrations of Rugby League in Australia demand not only a celebration of the past, but a pronouncement on the game's future. Where does the NRL see itself in 10-15 years? What expansion opportunities will the NRL seek to explore? The closest I've seen to a declaration of 'expansion' was David Gallop's statement that a 2nd Brisbane team is a 'possibility' in close to ten years. Not exactly heartening stuff...

Surely the AFL's recent proclamation of increasing war on the NRL's heartland must trigger at the least an appraisal of the current standing of the game. With the recently publicised troubles of some NSW clubs with regards to poker machine taxes, and the problems of the Manly Sea Eagles and their perilous stadium situation, it's clear that beneath the euphoria of the game's centenary they lies an increasingly bleak future for some clubs. How will these problems be rectified? Can they be rectified? And how much time is the NRL prepared to cede to rectify these issues?

To compound these issues in the heartland we have a number of expansion areas agitating for an NRL license (W.A Reds, Southern Orcas to name
2). What is the NRL's official stance on expansion? Does the NRL hold ambitions to have teams in these areas?

Clearly the AFL are setting the conditions to destroy us. Day by day their incursion gathers strength, year by year their influence grows. If we continue to stand still we will eventually be killed. There's no doubt about that. How much longer are we, as a game, going to sit and cop these attacks by the rival codes? The A-League is talking up new franchises seemingly all the time, and even the rah-rahs have managed to create both Super 14 and ARC franchises in Perth - f**k me, we must be the only code bar table tennis not to have a top-line team in W.A. It's embarrassing. Granted, the NRL only last year gave birth to the Titans, but that's not 'expansion', that's strengthening the heartland.

Given the sporting landscape at the moment, there's no better time for the NRL to produce a plan for the game's future, because by Christ if I'm sitting here in 10 years time and thing's haven't changed, it honestly feels like anything the NRL did from that point on would be akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

LESStar58

Referee
Look, I'm all for expansion because I want the game to have a truely national presence. Obviously Adelaide is a black hole and the Rams only existed during the SL war because thats where Rupert's Australian base of ops was and a team was needed in the spiritual home.

Perth, however, has a lot going for it and theres certainly a market. I'm a Storm supporter but I think it was pretty horrible the way they were wound up. I hope they are the first team considered for expansion given the effort they are putting in by fielding a team in the JB Cup.

My other preference is obviously for the Central Coast. Firstly I feel sorry for North Sydney getting shafted at the end of 99 and being forced into a merger when they agreed to relocate to Gosford only for their finances to let em down. There is a massive junior league and an area crying out for it's own stand alone team. Add to that the money that John Singleton is prepared to back the team with and a state of the art playing field and it's really a no brainer.

Given the fact that Queensland is rugby league mad as well it'd probably make sense for a 4th QLD team to be admitted. Personally, I reckon it'd be great for regional football in QLD if there was a team in Rockhampton but I dunno if it'd be financially viable. The alternative would obviously be to offer an NRL license to a club like Ipswich or Redcliffe or just build a 2nd Brisbane team from the ground up.

Finally, a second NZ side. Preferably Wellington.

So:

* Perth & Central Coast in time for the next TV deal and
* 4th QLD & 2nd NZ not long after

Let's put the NATIONAL in NRL. Look, in my lifetime I'd like to see rugby league sustain a competitive, financially succesful 20 team competition but unfortunately SL set us back 20 years. There is obviously also a lot of people with their own agendas that hold us back.

Iafeta

Referee
Butters said:
Why not have a NRL team based in one of the country NSW "cities" like Dubbo, but have it tour the NSW country hosting its home games in another country "city" every other home game.

Imagine the cost structures involved with that. You'd be touring to cities that really don't have the population to sustain consistently large crowds, which you'd need to cover the travel/transport costs constantly being incurred, and it's unlikely players would want to be involved in a travelling road show type set up. You'd struggle to build a key part of a clubs finances - season tickets - because a high majority of fans aren't going to drive between bush cities to see 'their' team in action. It just wouldn't market itself well enough to an area to ensure good revenue access to cover obviously enormous costs.

Iafeta

Referee
LESStar58 said:
Look, I'm all for expansion because I want the game to have a truely national presence. Obviously Adelaide is a black hole and the Rams only existed during the SL war because thats where Rupert's Australian base of ops was and a team was needed in the spiritual home.

Perth, however, has a lot going for it and theres certainly a market. I'm a Storm supporter but I think it was pretty horrible the way they were wound up. I hope they are the first team considered for expansion given the effort they are putting in by fielding a team in the JB Cup.

My other preference is obviously for the Central Coast. Firstly I feel sorry for North Sydney getting shafted at the end of 99 and being forced into a merger when they agreed to relocate to Gosford only for their finances to let em down. There is a massive junior league and an area crying out for it's own stand alone team. Add to that the money that John Singleton is prepared to back the team with and a state of the art playing field and it's really a no brainer.

Given the fact that Queensland is rugby league mad as well it'd probably make sense for a 4th QLD team to be admitted. Personally, I reckon it'd be great for regional football in QLD if there was a team in Rockhampton but I dunno if it'd be financially viable. The alternative would obviously be to offer an NRL license to a club like Ipswich or Redcliffe or just build a 2nd Brisbane team from the ground up.

Finally, a second NZ side. Preferably Wellington.

So:

* Perth & Central Coast in time for the next TV deal and
* 4th QLD & 2nd NZ not long after

Let's put the NATIONAL in NRL. Look, in my lifetime I'd like to see rugby league sustain a competitive, financially succesful 20 team competition but unfortunately SL set us back 20 years. There is obviously also a lot of people with their own agendas that hold us back.

In terms of a second NZ team city, definitely Wellington. The way that city has grasped hold of the Phoenix, a team coming second last in their competition, compared to the much larger city of Auckland with the Knights, shows Wellington is a market you can really tap into if you create the right environment. What the Phoenix have done really well is working with the "Yellow Fever" to really create a a sense of unity of this is YOUR team, at one stage the Warriors did that well (surprisingly at their most successful point), but only now do they seem to be regrasping that.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I'd prefer an Adelaide team over a CC team. They might not be as successful to start off and it might take a long time for them to reach stability but they've got a lot more potential than a team based on the CC do.

The Tank

Bench
I'd like to see Perth (expansion) and either CC or Brisbane 2 (consolidation of heartlands) at the same time. Then 4 or 5 years later, bring in Wellington (expansion) and the other of CC or Brisbane 2. After that Adelaide and New Zealand 3 (Christchurch?) making 22 teams. I think most of those (except maybe the last 2) are certainly a realistic chance of success.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Tank said:
I'd like to see Perth (expansion) and either CC or Brisbane 2 (consolidation of heartlands) at the same time. Then 4 or 5 years later, bring in Wellington (expansion) and the other of CC or Brisbane 2. After that Adelaide and New Zealand 3 (Christchurch?) making 22 teams. I think most of those (except maybe the last 2) are certainly a realistic chance of success.
We could bring in all 4 (Perth, Wellington, Brisbane 2, CC) within 2 seasons if we really wanted too.

The Tank

Bench
Lockyer4President! said:
We could bring in all 4 (Perth, Wellington, Brisbane 2, CC) within 2 seasons if we really wanted too.

I was going to suggest we bring them in all at once but the playing stocks would be stretched. We could easily cope with 2 new teams and keep the same standard.

Either way, I don't think the NRL will even consider bringing in new teams for now. Gallop (unfortunately) thinks it's another decade before we expand to 17. :(

LESStar58

Referee
Gee_Up said:
North Coast (North Sydney and Central Coast)

Play out of two parks- Blue Tongue and North Sydney Oval.

Another QLD team.
Another Melbourne team.
Perth team.
Adelaide team.

Re-locate/merge the Roosters as it has no junior base to move, average fan numbers at best and South Sydney Juniors have the finances to actually develop those areas making it into a Rugby League strong hold. maybe draw a line between North and South of the Eastern Suburbs and go halves with Manly.

Are you on drugs?

mind you, an intercity grudge match in Melbourne'd be pretty f**kin' sweet!

LESStar58

Referee
The Tank said:

Does anyone else think 22 teams is a bit too much? I think 20 is a nice round figure...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Tank said:
I was going to suggest we bring them in all at once but the playing stocks would be stretched. We could easily cope with 2 new teams and keep the same standard.

Either way, I don't think the NRL will even consider bringing in new teams for now. Gallop (unfortunately) thinks it's another decade before we expand to 17. :(
If the AFL do go ahead with a GC team then it'll probably spur the NRL into action by adding the Reds and maybe another team at around the same time.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
Does anyone else think 22 teams is a bit too much? I think 20 is a nice round figure...
Agree, 20 would be a good comp size. Any bigger than that and we'd start to have problems.

McCrud

Juniors
You'd have to think the inclusion of the W.A Reds in the JB Cup is a strong indication that the powers-that be are looking at WA as a viable expansion opportunity. From what I read the W.A Reds themselves see 2011-12 as their opportunity to jag an NRL gig.

At least the ARL is providing a clear line of progression for the W.A Reds. I guess it's then up to the NRL to do the right thing.

Dave Q

Coach
Le KooK said:
With news of the AFL's impending assault on the Gold Coast and Western Sydney, isn't it time the NRL countered by publicly advocating it's long-term goals for the future of the game? The last few weeks have seen the AFL put in place it's plan for the future, and no matter what we as Rugby League fans think of the AFL we must admire the strong and clear message the AFL heirachy is sending to the sporting world. It's a message of strength and confidence in their game and their product.

The 100 year celebrations of Rugby League in Australia demand not only a celebration of the past, but a pronouncement on the game's future. Where does the NRL see itself in 10-15 years? What expansion opportunities will the NRL seek to explore? The closest I've seen to a declaration of 'expansion' was David Gallop's statement that a 2nd Brisbane team is a 'possibility' in close to ten years. Not exactly heartening stuff...

Surely the AFL's recent proclamation of increasing war on the NRL's heartland must trigger at the least an appraisal of the current standing of the game. With the recently publicised troubles of some NSW clubs with regards to poker machine taxes, and the problems of the Manly Sea Eagles and their perilous stadium situation, it's clear that beneath the euphoria of the game's centenary they lies an increasingly bleak future for some clubs. How will these problems be rectified? Can they be rectified? And how much time is the NRL prepared to cede to rectify these issues?

To compound these issues in the heartland we have a number of expansion areas agitating for an NRL license (W.A Reds, Southern Orcas to name
2). What is the NRL's official stance on expansion? Does the NRL hold ambitions to have teams in these areas?

Clearly the AFL are setting the conditions to destroy us. Day by day their incursion gathers strength, year by year their influence grows. If we continue to stand still we will eventually be killed. There's no doubt about that. How much longer are we, as a game, going to sit and cop these attacks by the rival codes? The A-League is talking up new franchises seemingly all the time, and even the rah-rahs have managed to create both Super 14 and ARC franchises in Perth - f**k me, we must be the only code bar table tennis not to have a top-line team in W.A. It's embarrassing. Granted, the NRL only last year gave birth to the Titans, but that's not 'expansion', that's strengthening the heartland.

Given the sporting landscape at the moment, there's no better time for the NRL to produce a plan for the game's future, because by Christ if I'm sitting here in 10 years time and thing's haven't changed, it honestly feels like anything the NRL did from that point on would be akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Hell Yeah I'm fugging getting angry now.

Come next autumn I'm going to drive down to my local AFL field and do doughnuts all over the park in the WRX.

When the kids cant play their putrid aerial ping-pong, then they'll be a looking for a gig in the mighty Panther juniors.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Dave Q said:
Hell Yeah I'm fugging getting angry now.

Come next autumn I'm going to drive down to my local AFL field and do doughnuts all over the park in the WRX.

When the kids cant play their putrid aerial ping-pong, then they'll be a looking for a gig in the mighty Panther juniors.
Don't ever read anything about the history between league and union. You'd probably kill someone. :)

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Le KooK said:

Sensational post. :clap:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well said Le kook.

NRL don't seem to have a vision for how, where and when they will expand the game. That to me is a very, very worrying position for a sporting organisation that has pretensions of being the number one sport in the country.

I am however even more heartend after today attending the launch of the WA Reds. The game in Perth once again has a clear focus and goal and if the energy and enthusiasm at todays event is anything to go by, the Reds organsiation will not give Gallop any other option but to admit a Perth team within the next 5 years.

winnyason

Juniors
Look the NRL have went into there shell since SL, had the national comp vision at there feet but thought f**k this & went back to east coast.
A couple of things why there must be a expansion plan
the aussies rules push & the superleague expansion that will steal more players.
The next 2 spots for expansion should be a perth team(inperitive have a good comp & juniors) & NZ this is expansion not the central coast, if a team goes there they should relocate.
NZ is something AFL does not have international apeal rather than punching a irishmen to a pulp likethey do, onto nz.

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
Easy there winny...

The game had to flourish in its heartland again after the debacle/sham that was Stupor League. Hell plenty of people in Sydney were pissed off with the game so if it was hurting there what chance in growth areas?

The ARL had it spot on in 95 when it expanded to NQ, Perth, Brissie 2 & Auckland. Unfortunately as many on here have rightly said SL put the game back 20 years. The game is strong again now and has expanded very successfully into the gold coast and hopefully will again go back to perth and other areas.

One thing that bothers me is the Auckland/New Zealand/The.. Warriors. Some here are hoping for expansion to Wellington which agreed is not a bad idea. Wellington have much better sports supporter base and would no doubt embrace an NRL side. The Warriors have to decide who they are supposed to represent. How could they be the NZ Warriors when there is a Wellington team?

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
Actually while on this topic I would love to hear the thoughts of:

Wests Tigers (Or Wests or Balmain) supporters. Now that you are 7 years on from merging. How do you feel about the merger now? Are you peeved with expansion? Or do you think the merged entity is a good thing?

Norths fans - If expansion ever brings about the Central Coast Bears, would you support this team? (surely they could play a game or 2 each season at North Sydney Oval)

Illawarra fans - Are you happy with the SGI merger and do you think this is the best way forward for league in Illawarra or do you still pine for the Steelers?

Latest posts