What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Gallop is right on this one

bobmar28

Bench
I love how he just puts this stuff out there, but does not provide any diatribe on the actual policy itself.

Nor does he show exactly WHY this would be bad for clubs nationally, just puts out an 'emotional rebuke'

Honestly, look at the whole issue this way:
if clubs can only provide funding because of pokies, then that's a sad indictment on the clubs themselves.

Uh huh - and those casual players bring in SOOOOO much money for the clubs don't they....

Face the facts, of the alleged 5million people who play the pokies, 60,000 (3%) are 'problem gamblers'. I'd love to see a % of how much 'gambling income' that 3% brings in for the clubs. The fact they're up in arms about the debate suggests it'd be a very large slice.

If you've never seen the way families are totally ruined by problem gambling, then you are not in a position to comment on this issue.
Any club that is dependant on sucking the life out of 60 000 families each and every year DESERVES to die. Bunch of disgraceful merkins.
Clubs that aren't dependant on predatory behaviour upon the weak will certainly survive and find new ways to thrive.

End of story.

How about those "problem gamblers" go somewhere else and leave the rest of us to have a punt without needing a license.

bobmar28

Bench
Nah, I'd even go as far as saying now that I wasn't a problem gambler, it was only $250 a week right? But writing it all out now its pretty obvious I was.

I'd go to a pub for dinner, put in $5, losing that $5 turned into spending the rest of the 50 I used for dinner. Still happens some times now.

Got my cousin hooked too, but pretty sure he enjoys playing them. I can't stand them, just do $5 hits, either win quick or loose quick. But as I said, this type of thing would be perfect for me, wouldn't ever play them again as every time I walk into a pub I don't want to play, but after dinner or if I'm drunk I might put a little bit in which turns into a lot more.

It should be optional then. In fact I'm sure you can do it now.

bobmar28

Bench
If you aint a problem gambler you shouldnt be worried. Sounds like you suspect you might be, and might have to face some demons.

Just get the f*cking card, it's not like they are asking you to hack your leg off ffs.

Why should I when I don't need one for on line gambling etc?

bobmar28

Bench
Get rid of them anyway, if a club can't survive without pokie revenue, that don't deserve to survive at it. Poker Machines have almost killed of the live music scene, they're one of the worst things to ever happen to this state.

WRONG. There are three bands playing at my local club next weekend because of the income generated by pokies. Without that income they wouldn't be there.

oldmancraigy

Coach
How about those "problem gamblers" go somewhere else and leave the rest of us to have a punt without needing a license.

That's a sensational idea.
I'll bet nobody ever thought of that before?

Oh wait, isn't that pretty much what this legislation is trying to promote?

](*,)

oldmancraigy

Coach
i
probably save me 100 bucks a year.

this legislation will be bad for my footy team tho.

so therefor i am opposed to it.

If your footy team can't find 100 bucks someplace else, then there's a pretty serious problem with them.

I guess you're right - no first grade footy team exists in the comp without a leagues club right?
Right?

Umm... oh dear.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Problem with pokies is that they're so easy to use and require no effort. you don't need to get up and put in your tab forms, wait for the bar wench to feed it through the machine etc, just sit there and keep feeding the machine money.

I disagree with the assessment that 'problem gamblers will just gamble elsewhere' when most exclusively use the pokies.

Btw, that 6% of people that are addicts provide 30% of the revenue through pokies, according to OLGR statistics.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
One has to laugh at this "but clubs support community groups and local sports teams" argument.

There is no evidence whatsoever that supports it.

Phil Gould is just worried because the Panthers might be in a bit of trouble.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Problem with pokies is that they're so easy to use and require no effort. you don't need to get up and put in your tab forms, wait for the bar wench to feed it through the machine etc, just sit there and keep feeding the machine money.

I disagree with the assessment that 'problem gamblers will just gamble elsewhere' when most exclusively use the pokies.

Btw, that 6% of people that are addicts provide 30% of the revenue through pokies, according to OLGR statistics.

According to the Productivity Commission report (that covers all of Australia), 1.5% of Pokies users provide 40% of revenue.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
So apparently, these measures won't stop problem gambling (40% of revenue), but because it is going to reduce revenue (?), jobs will be lost and local league teams will close down.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Basically, like the Mining Tax and Plain Packaging Legislation, the wrath with which they are fighting this means it will work. Otherwise they wouldn't be so vitriolic towards it.

As far as I'm concerned if they have the money to spend on such elaborate advertising, then there is a lot of spare cash lying around that could be put to better use. Large companies will always use the 'we put so much back in to the community' line. It's part of the pitch. Yet in this case they could not do that without taking so much out in the first place.

I'd like to know Phil Gould credentials when commenting so passionately on these matters, apart from his massive conflict of interest due to his position with Penrith.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Basically, like the Mining Tax and Plain Packaging Legislation, the wrath with which they are fighting this means it will work. Otherwise they wouldn't be so vitriolic towards it.

As far as I'm concerned if they have the money to spend on such elaborate advertising, then there is a lot of spare cash lying around that could be put to better use. Large companies will always use the 'we put so much back in to the community' line. It's part of the pitch. Yet in this case they could not do that without taking so much out in the first place.

I'd like to know Phil Gould credentials when commenting so passionately on these matters, apart from his massive conflict of interest due to his position with Penrith.

He has been working near or in clubs for his entire working life according to his article. Makes him a valuable contributor to this debate.

Jubes

Juniors
He has been working near or in clubs for his entire working life according to his article. Makes him a valuable contributor to this debate.

He's the head of the club that perhaps makes the most money out of all of them off poker machines, he can hardly be considered objective.

Frailty

First Grade
One has to laugh at this "but clubs support community groups and local sports teams" argument.

There is no evidence whatsoever that supports it.

Phil Gould is just worried because the Panthers might be in a bit of trouble.

Perhaps you would like to suggest that to these groups which benefits from the support from Wentworthville Leagues Club:

Afghani Hassanian Youth Association
Amputee Focus Group
Baulkham Hills Parramatta Holroyd Migrant Resource Centre
Bears of Hope
Benny Cuschieri Fundraiser
Beresford Public School
Blacktown Boys’ High School
Buttons & Bows
C.H.I.L.D
Cassia Community Centre
Charities Aid Foundation (Timehelp Project)
Churches of Wentworthville
Cittadini
Cumberland and Nepean Softball Association
DADHC
Darcy Rd Public School P&C
William Rose School
Genista Aged Care Facility
Granville Men’s Shed
Greystanes Little Athletics
Greystanes Public School P&C
Holroyd City Council - Various Community Initiatives
Inspire
Kids West
Learning Links
Lions Club of Winston Hills
Luo Community Association of Australia Inc.
Maltese Cultural Association of NSW
Maltese Past Pupils of Don Bosco
Masonicare
Men of League Foundation Limited
Merrylands/Holroyd Family day Care
Metella Road Public School
Mitchell District Women Bowling Association
Myeloma Foundation of Australia
Neighbourhood Watch
Northcott Disability Services
NSW Cancer Council
NSW Justices
NSW Pensioners Association
Our Lady of Mt Carmel Primary School P&C
Our Lady Queen of Peace Festa
Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish Pre-School
Our Lady Queen of Peace Primary School P&C
Parramatta District Rugby League Referees Association
Pioneers - Living and Learning Services for adults with disabilities
Push and Power Sports
Red Cross - Wentworthville Branch
Ronald McDonald House
Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children
RPA Hospital Liver Disease and Research Unit
Seven Hills Toongabbie RSL Jazz Ballet
Siberian Husky Club
Skye Lee Armstrong
St Anthony’s School
St Pauls Catholic College
Starlight
Technical Aid to the Disabled
The Ceroc and Modern Jive Dance Company
The Millennium Foundation
Toongabbie Girl Guides
Toongabbie Legal Centre
Toongabbie Public School
Tracks for Transplant
Variety Club
Wentworthville Public School
Wentworthville Youth Services
Wenty Wheelkings
Westmead Hospital
Wheelchair Sports NS

No evidence? The last financial showed 50% of Wenty Leagues' profits went to these groups.

But you're right... No evidence at all...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gould is probably cacking it that Penrith may have to rely on gate receipts to pay his wages!

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I think you'll find that the "support" of community clubs oftens involves discounts etc to bring people back to the club - and use the pokies. The funding of sporting communitets is de facto advertising to keep people playing. It's similar to McDonalds sponsoring sporting or fitness events - absolute hypocrites - pure advertising.

Poker machines are rigged to rip people off. The management of these clubs pay millions of dollars to themselves in salaries and little junkets like gambling conferences in Las Vegas. The government is addicted to the tax revenue - regardless of the damage to families.

For a tough support, gee we have sp many lily-livered cowards running rugby league.

Phil Gould is a greater promoter - of Phil Gould.

Latest posts