What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is perth bid so secretive?!

How long will it take the WA Gov to start the process of planning and hiring contractors and builders to construct a high performance training centre and upgrade PRS

If the team is set to debut in 2028 then it needs to be done in three and a half years.

Perth Stadium was constructed over a 2 and a half year period. However, the time from the Premier beginning the planning process in mid-2011 until its completion in January 2018 was six and a half years. It was extremely expensive and ended up being way more than budget estimates.

Isn't there a shortage of builders in WA at the moment?

Last edited:

Dragonwest

Juniors
How long will it take the WA Gov to start the process of planning and hiring contractors and builders to construct a high performance training centre and upgrade PRS

If the team is set to debut in 2028 then it needs to be done in three and a half years.

Perth Stadium was constructed over a 2 and a half year period. However, the time from the Premier beginning the planning process in mid-2011 until its completion in January 2018 was six and a half years. It was extremely expensive and ended up being way more than budget estimates.

WA Football center approved March 2021 - Completion July 2023

mongoose

Coach

comparing a stadium to a Training centre/COE lol you're a f**king dumbass

The big question no one is asking is whether the bears will get a centre of excellence from the NSW government
NSW Gov should be talking with the ARLC about basing the Bears out of Gosford. Build a high performance training centre. Get 12 games at Central Coast Stadium. Create jobs for locals and inject money into the economy.

Central Coast Bears

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors

Perth / Optus Stadium came in on time, and the budget was never publically revealed by the government at the time other than the stadium itself costing in the vicinity of $900 million.
The long lead in time was planned as the state was still managing its own budget post GFC (which put a pause on the stadium for a few years) and WA's precarious GST position. Earthworks started over a year before any other construction just to compact the ground and wick the high water table.

Depending on set conditions by the ARLC, I have confidence the WA government can get both a training facility and a new Western Stand at PRS within 3 years if required to do so.
It was the ARLC about-face back in 2012 that saw the pausing of the PRS redevelopment stage 2. I guess we can add another $100 million to that price tag.

Perth / Optus Stadium came in on time, and the budget was never publically revealed by the government at the time other than the stadium itself costing in the vicinity of $900 million.
The long lead in time was planned as the state was still managing its own budget post GFC (which put a pause on the stadium for a few years) and WA's precarious GST position. Earthworks started over a year before any other construction just to compact the ground and wick the high water table.

Depending on set conditions by the ARLC, I have confidence the WA government can get both a training facility and a new Western Stand at PRS within 3 years if required to do so.
It was the ARLC about-face back in 2012 that saw the pausing of the PRS redevelopment stage 2. I guess we can add another $100 million to that price tag.
IMG_2093.png
$900 was the contracted price. Total spend was $1.6b.

Bukowski

Juniors

It would also be no big deal if the westerm stand took a bit longer and they just used Optus for the first year. There will be some big crowds in the first year.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
I'm not sure about that, could be make or break. As long as it's guaranteed that it's only for a year max. The WACA was devastating to the Reds. The Force had health crowds at Subiaco Oval but it was momentum killer. I can't imagine Storm fans were happy at Docklands. Broncos crowds more than halved in their time at QEii/QSAC
Perth needs a minimum 3yr lead in, and the Govt has to get building asap.

I'm not sure about that, could be make or break. As long as it's guaranteed that it's only for a year max. The WACA was devastating to the Reds. The Force had health crowds at Subiaco Oval but it was momentum killer. I can't imagine Storm fans were happy at Docklands. Broncos crowds more than halved in their time at QEii/QSAC
The good news for the Perth bid is the WA Gov has been very supportive. If the western grandstand is rebuilt and the southern end is given a roof then it will be a decent stadium. Capacity should be lifted to 30k.

I think Parramatta Stadium is a good indicator of what a Perth-based team can expect. The old ground had a similar capacity to PRS. Since it was rebuilt the Eels have drawn more money from football operations.

Bukowski

Juniors
For sure. I'm just talking worse case scenario. One year won't hurt, it would be bad if the option was a10k venue.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
The good news for the Perth bid is the WA Gov has been very supportive. If the western grandstand is rebuilt and the southern end is given a roof then it will be a decent stadium. Capacity should be lifted to 30k.

I think Parramatta Stadium is a good indicator of what a Perth-based team can expect. The old ground had a similar capacity to PRS. Since it was rebuilt the Eels have drawn more money from football operations.
Pretty much all major Australian stadiums these days are designed by Populous, Cox, and/or Hassel working somewhat together. There's a basic blue print in bowl layout. The PRS Eastern Stand and Parramatta share that. From the top of my head, the PRS masterplan was for a capacity 27500, but there was still room to fill in the north east and south east corners to go beyond 30000.