What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the NFL so successful

The only thing impressive in what the NFL has done is actually brainwashing a nation into believing the 'sport' has genuine entertainment value.

God I hate intolerant wankers liks you.
You hate NFL simply because you lack any understansing of the game because you are an ignorant twat.

If you think the NFL 'lacks entertainment value' absolutely proves my point.

][/B]
But it's not for a lack of popularity or business acumen, it's simply because no other nation has such a blatantly sh*t excuse for a sport that offers up more than 50% of its game time to commercials.

The fact the EPL is practically watched globally, and the NFL is not, speaks volumes. Even with all that money they can't popularise the game sport outside of their own back yard. Because no other nation of people will accept the garbage. Only Americans will accept the blatant money-generating techniques employed by the NFL. You f**king try doing that in the Super League and NRL, tell me how many f**king fans you lose in the space of a few games. Any other sport would die if it were to copy the NFLs money making techniques.

It's nothing to behold. What's to be hold about it? The fact the NFL use their sport as a marketing vechile is not impress. The only thing impressive is the American attraction to garbage.

Once again I will say this, the fact with all of NFLs money it cannot make any real progress internationally highlights absolutely that there's nothing special in how they marketed and popularised the game. What's special is just how f**king stupid Americans are.

But why would I admire it? As I said it's nothing special. The NFL shouldn't be admired. The American educational system and culture should be laughed at and rightly f**king criticised in my opinion. Which is what I'll do.

I know I've said it already. But the NFL can't even popularise there sport in Mexico. What's to respect or admire? Richest sporting league in the world and they're unable to make any substantial international progress. It's laughable how obviously little these people know.:lol:

I'll say it just one last time. The fact the NFL cannot popularise itself anywhere else is absolute testament to the fact these people have a sh*t product and are clearly not marketing geniuses. They just profit and popularise themselfs on the back of American stupidity.

WOW!
You are totally an intolerant little f*ckhead

Go back to your ignorant little world you moron

It seems, NFL is too intelligent for you because you lack any understanding of the game whatsoever

Parraboi1

Juniors
When it comes down to it the interest isn't as high as it could be, having a team only play 7/8 home games a season only attracts more hype when the team is in town. I think that if they played 18 home games a season the hype would be much lower and that if Australia and or England had populations of 300 million both Afl and the premier league would be much more popular.

I also thin Epl clubs are much better run, take Man U for example there the richest club in the sporting world and yet they spend more than NFL clubs aswell as receive less free money from TV deals.

The NFL would be nothing without there Tv deals and when you look at how little Aussie sporting leagues get for our products you will see what they have in the end is little more than a company with 32 franchises ripping there people off.

bobmar28

Bench
its a great point to raise though.... i think the NRL could pick up a fair bit from the NFL...

like i said in another thread... i like how the Superbowl is an annual event that gets spread around the country. Cities bid for the right to host it...

Only those cities with an 80,000 seat stadium.

bobmar28

Bench
Because Americans are idiots. No other reason.

There is no marketing secret, Americans are idiots. That's the genuine anwser.

And I don't think English premier league owners need to observe anything. They have a far better system in place. There's 5 different professional soccer leagues in England alone. And the EPS(English Premier League) makes far more on international TV rights than the NFL can dream of. The NFL have to practically give away their TV rights internationally. Nobody is willing to pay any real money.

The NFL is a vechile for marketing. That's all it is. It's 3 hours of adverts with 30 minutes of gridiron thrown in. Their success comes on the back of their format and the money that format generates.

For the NRL to do what the NFL do you would literally have to kill the game of League. That's the only way. You won't generate enough money to throw around otherwise. Not only that, but you have to factor in how big America is. They have a population FIFTEEN times the size of Australia.

The only thing impressive in what the NFL has done is actually brainwashing a nation into believing the 'sport' has genuine entertainment value.

So even if you did ruin the great game of league and turned it into an advertisment fest, you'd still come nowhere near accomplishing what the NFL have done because of the simple numbers game.

It certainly has that. I watch it every week on One HD.

bobmar28

Bench
Bitter, how so? Cynical, sure. At the end of the day everything I've said is a reality. If you want to attempt to dispute it and embarass yourself, that's your choice entirely.

Yawn. Have I ever tried to argue you against this? The point is the NFL is only a success domestically.

If England was the size of America and soccer was a pretend-sport used by advertisers to market their product then the EPL would obviously make more money.

As it happens because of the format of football(soccer) and EVERY other real sport in the WORLD, nobody can come close to making the money of the NFL.

But it's not for a lack of popularity or business acumen, it's simply because no other nation has such a blatantly sh*t excuse for a sport that offers up more than 50% of its game time to commercials.

The fact the EPL is practically watched globally, and the NFL is not, speaks volumes. Even with all that money they can't popularise the game sport outside of their own back yard. Because no other nation of people will accept the garbage. Only Americans will accept the blatant money-generating techniques employed by the NFL. You f**king try doing that in the Super League and NRL, tell me how many f**king fans you lose in the space of a few games. Any other sport would die if it were to copy the NFLs money making techniques.

It's nothing to behold. What's to be hold about it? The fact the NFL use their sport as a marketing vechile is not impress. The only thing impressive is the American attraction to garbage.

Once again I will say this, the fact with all of NFLs money it cannot make any real progress internationally highlights absolutely that there's nothing special in how they marketed and popularised the game. What's special is just how f**king stupid Americans are.

But why would I admire it? As I said it's nothing special. The NFL shouldn't be admired. The American educational system and culture should be laughed at and rightly f**king criticised in my opinion. Which is what I'll do.

I know I've said it already. But the NFL can't even popularise there sport in Mexico. What's to respect or admire? Richest sporting league in the world and they're unable to make any substantial international progress. It's laughable how obviously little these people know.:lol:

I'll say it just one last time. The fact the NFL cannot popularise itself anywhere else is absolute testament to the fact these people have a sh*t product and are clearly not marketing geniuses. They just profit and popularise themselfs on the back of American stupidity.

You seem to have a few issues there. Could that be because your code yawnion is going down the tube in Australia.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Bitter, how so? Cynical, sure. At the end of the day everything I've said is a reality. If you want to attempt to dispute it and embarass yourself, that's your choice entirely.

Yawn. Have I ever tried to argue you against this? The point is the NFL is only a success domestically.

If England was the size of America and soccer was a pretend-sport used by advertisers to market their product then the EPL would obviously make more money.

As it happens because of the format of football(soccer) and EVERY other real sport in the WORLD, nobody can come close to making the money of the NFL.

'Pretend sport'. :lol:

I can't really disagree with much of that. I have the odd look here and there, but for the most part NFL makes rugby union look like rugby league.

Jamskee

Juniors
I remember reading somewhere that the Green Bay Packers have a season ticket waiting list of over 35,000 people? Can anyone add anything to that?

legend

Coach
The NFL fully fund the salary cap for each NFL team for a start with increases each year. Something the NRL need to do ASAP and raise the cap from four million to at least five to pay the players their true market value.

Merchandising is king for the NFL becuase they don't allow sponsorship on their jerseys.

Once the NRL disengage from News, we have a chance to make massive strides both on and off the field if we have the right model in place and the right people to manage the game.

If we can split the tv rights between Nine, Seven and Ten then we can raise the cap so the existing clubs thrive and we can continue to expand the game.

The NFL also have the draft to spread the talent although parity seems to be a thing of the past with so many bad teams in the NFL this year.

IMO, the NFL is best run sporting competition in the world. The EPL would be second but the same teams dominate every year unless you can find a billionaire who is prepared to part with half his wealth to keep the club afloat and successful.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
The NFL seems to buck nearly every trend that all other sporting competitions use, yet its one of the best run and successful competitions in world sport.

-No sponsorship on jerseys

-No Sponsorship logos on the field

-They dont change uniforms every season to force fans to buy new jerseys

-Black outs into local markets if the game isnt a sell out, would cost them millions in advertising dollars.

-16 game season, lengthening the season by 8 weeks would make them millions in tv deals and gates.

I believe some English Premier League owners have been observing how the NFL is run, perhaps David Gallop could as well.

It is way to huge for David Gallops pea brain to take in.

Spitty

Juniors
I remember seeing a doco once that said Cricket despite it being a fairly boring all day, sometimes 5 day sport, made a heap on tele in advertising because you could shove a single add in during stoppaged (ie between overs). Therefor all you had to do was actually get the audience to watch the game then in an hour worth of television you could get in something like 10 extra adds without, loosing the audiences attention.

The same pricipal works for NFL, adds during time-outs, 2 minute warning, after touch downs you get a heap more adds than normal but becuase they are only one or two at a time, you don't walk away or get distracted you keep on watching.

Plus, I think it's just a great game. The lack of games only serves to create a greater hunger among the fans. Plus obviously there's like two teams in a massive city like New York, compared to our 9 NRL teams in Sydney and 8 AFL in Melbourne.

krudmonk

Juniors
The US has 11 metro areas larger than Sydney. Number 11 is Detroit, practically a synonym for urban decay and rust belt exodus, yet it is larger than the biggest region of Australia. They have only one team. New York, over five times larger than Sydney, has just two. These teams reap massive reward from a broad scope, on the level of the Brisbane Broncos in terms of saturation, but from far more people. Size is everything. The Lions have sucked forever and yet they averaged more fans last year than all but one Premier League team, despite competing with three other major league franchises (baseball, basketball and hockey). That's simply because each club has such a broad catchment area.

dragonfire

Bench
Although one of the weird things i is the 2nd biggest city in the USA, LA. does not have an NFL team whereas towns like Green Bay with their 100,000 populations and Pittsburgh, New Orleans and Cincy (around 300,000 pop.) have teams that are successful

they used to have a team and there is speculation that a team like Jacksonville will go there. But the teams couldnt compete and remain viable.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
'Pretend sport'. :lol:

I can't really disagree with much of that. I have the odd look here and there, but for the most part NFL makes rugby union look like rugby league.

Id rather watch American football than Union ANY day of the week. LOL id rather watch AFL than Union :lol: