What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why my team will win in 2004

ali

Bench
Why Cronulla can win in 2004, well at least finish closer to the top than the bottom.

Now I wouldn't be taking odds shoter than 20-1. There are reasons not to be confident, terrible 2003, internal dramas and a brand new coach. But when you actually look closely at the squad, and what Penrith did this season, is there anyone willing to come out and say we have no chance at all. This is why I am more confident about 2004 than I was at the start of 2003. The first thing I look for at the start of the year is the squad. I was worried at the start of last year and the only thing that made me feel like we had a chance was our 2002 form and Anderson's confidence. But deep down I suspected some ordinary players were going to be playing first grade. This year we have far better depth, and I expect everyone who plays in first grade will be up to the challenge.

So what I do I like about the squad? Well depsite Anderson's failings, we have recruited well for 2004. Last year we had some glaring weaknesses, and we have gone along way to fix them. In have come a strike centre in Vagana and a highly regarded winger in Nathan Merritt. Whilst Merritt could turn out to be dud, he could also be the next Blacklock. He's got some big raps from some big names. He may even take over the goalkicking, where we do have a weakness but plenty of candidates. We have also bolstered our pack with the signing of Andrew Lomu, who hopefully will reproduce his form of 2002. But importantly the signings of Vagana and Merritt will allow Bailey (assuming he's still around), to return to his natural position in the backrow.

Even the no names signings this year come with far greater credentials. Michael Russo is injury riddled, but a former Australian schoolboys captain. Dimitri Pelo is a 2002 Aus schoolboy and is highly regarded in the sunshine state and Jason Williams is a big prop who supposedly wasn't far off the Canterbury top 17 before injuring himself in pre season last year.

On top of these signings, we haven't as of yet lost anyone we would have wanted to keep.

But the biggest reason why I'm confident about 2004 is the kids coming through. I follow the junior grades closely, and I have watched a few of these guys come through the grades since winnig the under 16's in 2001. I always pinpointed 2004 as the year we would get the most out of them. This is the year where we get to work the cap to its full potential. There will be 4 or 5 who finish the year in first grade but who contibute bugger all to the sallary cap because they will have pretty much come out of nowhere. Remind you of anyone, yes well thats what happened to Penrith in 2003.

Keith Galloway, Russell Aitken and David Simmons are the most exciting prospects we have produced since Rogers, Peachey, Ritson and Dykes emerged from our Presidents Cup win in 1994. You've all seen Galloway already, and he can only get better with a full off season. But Aitken is the one to watch aT 5/8. The kid has struggled with injury in the last 2 seasons, but is a freak. To quote Peachey last year

" I'm looking forward to playing with Russell Aitken, the kid's a freak", that coming from the freak himself. Danny Nutley is quoted in the most recent addition of Shark magazine saying Aitken has the best ball skills he has ever seen on a team mate. I can't wait to see him hopefully fulfil his potential this season.

The other kid, Simmons, a full back or centre, has only been playing Rugby League for about 4 years but was our best in reserve grade last year. He like Aitken is slightly built, but is a natural athlete. Before taking up League he was a rep soccer player, and my brother and another mate rate him the best junior soccer player they had ever laid eyes on. His best aspect was apparently his vision. Well according to Theo Burgess, Simmo has carried this skill across to League, and Theo compares Simmo's vision to that of Lockyer. Only time will tell. We may not see him early this year as Simmo has recently undergoing a shoulder op, but hopefully he'll force his way to firsts in due time.

Others like the aggressive Reece Williams and double Australian schoolboy centre Stephen Ross are waiting in the wings.

Bring on 2004.

roofromoz

First Grade
The Panthers can successfully defend their premiership in 2004.

Stability
The Panthers will pretty much have the same top 17 in '04, bar Sattler. While he will be a massive loss, Luke Swain is more than an adequate replacment, having made a favourable impact on the NRL in his debut season.

Perfect mix of experience and youth
The enthusiasm brought about by the talented youngsters in the team (namely Lewis, Rooney, Clinton, Waterhouse, Ross and Swain), with the old experienced heads of players such as Gower, Girdler and Priddis provide a potent mix.

Hunger
Right from the outset, the Panthers will prove that 2003 was not a fluke. They have had a taste of glory, and they will do everything in their power to make sure that feeling remains. They have a never say die attitude, and that was prevelant this year, with a number of come from behind victories.

Adaptability
As someone else mentioned earlier, the Panthers have the ability to adapt their game to their opponent, and more often than not, beat them at their own game.

Strikepower
From the fullback to the lock, the Panthers essentially have 13 players on the field at any one time that seem to have a magnetism towards the tryline. They can more or less make something out of nothing some of the time.

The backline
The back three, in Wesser, Lewis and Rooney, are perhaps the most dangerous in the NRL at this time. Wesser is very dangerous in broken play, whilst the two Lukes are great finishers. The centres provides experience and youth - Girdler, in perhaps his final season, will want to finish his quite illustrious career on a high, whilst Whatuira was one of the biggest improvers in '03, and will be keen to cement a berth in the backline.

The halves
Campbell at 5/8th is sublime, Gower at halfback is just class. In combination, they provide the link between the forwards making the metres, and the backs finishing off their work.

The forwards
The all-Kiwi second row showed this year why they were both rated the best in the game, with damaging runs. Waterhouse made his mark this year coming off the bench, and was rewarded with Australian selection. Clinton and Lang, along with Ross just do what they have to do, and that is just run the ball hard at the defence, with great effect. Priddis is invaluable at dummy half and is also a tackling machine, and showed his worth in the grand final with his man of the match performance.

Craig Gower
The guy is a champion. He is an inspirational leader, and I don't think there was one game this year where he wasn't carrying at least one injury going into or throughout the match. You would pretty much have to chop off one of his legs to stop him. And as our halfback, has the skill and talent to be the best in his position on the day. Like Greg Alexander in 1991, he is the heart of Penrith.

John Lang
One of the shrewdist coaches in the game, has done wonders with the Panthers in his short stay so far. Also modest and unassuming, he doesn't want to go back to back next year - he just wants to win the premiership again.

Support
In 2003, it reached unprecedented levels, with the long standing crowd record at Penrith broken three times. The premiership lifted the spirits of the city, and their supporters will once again come out in droves in 2004, both at Penrith and away from the foot of the mountains, and get behind the men in black.

That said, depth beyond the top 17 may be seen by some as an issue, as a number of fringe players have gone off to greener pastures in 2004. However, there are a number of players outside the 17 that have first grade experience, and will be able to fill in admirably if called up.

Also, defence is a vital key in any game, but as the teams get closer to each other, it is crucial. Whilst the Panthers showed dramatic improvement in this department towards the end of the season, in 2004, it has to be a key component in their game from Round 1 if they are any chance in 2004. Minimise slow starts and mowing down massive deficits.

Additionally, all the teams will seemingly "lift" as they will be playing the defending premiers, but the Panthers have the artillery and strikepower to hopefully counteract anything their opposition throws at them.

In 2004, they will not be viewed as a rank outsider, they will be the centre of attention. But I am pretty confident that the Panthers can withstand the pressure.

All up, the Panthers can win it again in 2004.

CliffyGC

Juniors
ali said:
Why Cronulla can win in 2004, well at least finish closer to the top than the bottom.

Now I wouldn't be taking odds shoter than 20-1. There are reasons not to be confident, terrible 2003, internal dramas and a brand new coach. But when you actually look closely at the squad, and what Penrith did this season, is there anyone willing to come out and say we have no chance at all. This is why I am more confident about 2004 than I was at the start of 2003. The first thing I look for at the start of the year is the squad. I was worried at the start of last year and the only thing that made me feel like we had a chance was our 2002 form and Anderson's confidence. But deep down I suspected some ordinary players were going to be playing first grade. This year we have far better depth, and I expect everyone who plays in first grade will be up to the challenge.

So what I do I like about the squad? Well depsite Anderson's failings, we have recruited well for 2004. Last year we had some glaring weaknesses, and we have gone along way to fix them. In have come a strike centre in Vagana and a highly regarded winger in Nathan Merritt. Whilst Merritt could turn out to be dud, he could also be the next Blacklock. He's got some big raps from some big names. He may even take over the goalkicking, where we do have a weakness but plenty of candidates. We have also bolstered our pack with the signing of Andrew Lomu, who hopefully will reproduce his form of 2002. But importantly the signings of Vagana and Merritt will allow Bailey (assuming he's still around), to return to his natural position in the backrow.

Even the no names signings this year come with far greater credentials. Michael Russo is injury riddled, but a former Australian schoolboys captain. Dimitri Pelo is a 2002 Aus schoolboy and is highly regarded in the sunshine state and Jason Williams is a big prop who supposedly wasn't far off the Canterbury top 17 before injuring himself in pre season last year.

On top of these signings, we haven't as of yet lost anyone we would have wanted to keep.

But the biggest reason why I'm confident about 2004 is the kids coming through. I follow the junior grades closely, and I have watched a few of these guys come through the grades since winnig the under 16's in 2001. I always pinpointed 2004 as the year we would get the most out of them. This is the year where we get to work the cap to its full potential. There will be 4 or 5 who finish the year in first grade but who contibute bugger all to the sallary cap because they will have pretty much come out of nowhere. Remind you of anyone, yes well thats what happened to Penrith in 2003.

Keith Galloway, Russell Aitken and David Simmons are the most exciting prospects we have produced since Rogers, Peachey, Ritson and Dykes emerged from our Presidents Cup win in 1994. You've all seen Galloway already, and he can only get better with a full off season. But Aitken is the one to watch aT 5/8. The kid has struggled with injury in the last 2 seasons, but is a freak. To quote Peachey last year

" I'm looking forward to playing with Russell Aitken, the kid's a freak", that coming from the freak himself. Danny Nutley is quoted in the most recent addition of Shark magazine saying Aitken has the best ball skills he has ever seen on a team mate. I can't wait to see him hopefully fulfil his potential this season.

The other kid, Simmons, a full back or centre, has only been playing Rugby League for about 4 years but was our best in reserve grade last year. He like Aitken is slightly built, but is a natural athlete. Before taking up League he was a rep soccer player, and my brother and another mate rate him the best junior soccer player they had ever laid eyes on. His best aspect was apparently his vision. Well according to Theo Burgess, Simmo has carried this skill across to League, and Theo compares Simmo's vision to that of Lockyer. Only time will tell. We may not see him early this year as Simmo has recently undergoing a shoulder op, but hopefully he'll force his way to firsts in due time.

Others like the aggressive Reece Williams and double Australian schoolboy centre Stephen Ross are waiting in the wings.

Bring on 2004.
The sharks will win the comp because metrologists have forcasted Hell to freeze over Late September early october in 2004 :p :p :p :p (Joke)

OVP

Coach
Canberra are almost as cool as their pathetic supporters ... ergo they will win the 2004 premiership

Man i wish my team had every single person NOT selected who should be selected !!

WOW, imagine how cool it would be to have Raiders supporters as the selectors !!

Oh yeah baby im looking forward to jamaal lolesi as Australia's finest backline star in history BABY !!

*puke*

fizman

Bench
Cronulla will win the comp because we are the latest club to have a rookie Coach. We will follow on from Messrs Hagan and Stuart to win it as a first year Head Coach.

thickos

First Grade
OVP said:
Canberra are almost as cool as their pathetic supporters ... ergo they will win the 2004 premiership

Man i wish my team had every single person NOT selected who should be selected !!

WOW, imagine how cool it would be to have Raiders supporters as the selectors !!

Oh yeah baby im looking forward to jamaal lolesi as Australia's finest backline star in history BABY !!

*puke*
Geez you made a real great case for your team in 2004 you stupid toss :roll:
All you've done is reinforced the fact that Roosters fans are arrogant and more importantly, are a little scared that the empire is crumbling....
October 2002 was a long time ago and you guys aren't the champions of jack shit anymore. Actually you are the champions of jack shit - you bought Finch and Chris Walker.

btw Lolesi is a bulldog now, and a kiwi, so give yourself a triple uppercut

EdBurton

Juniors
Souths will win the comp next year because of the Steven Bradbury rule.
Everyone in front of us will fall over, and we will sail through to victory!!!!
here's how the teams will fall over
1. Tigers - Tim Sheens can only coach good players, and the Tigers don't have enough of them. So when the team loses to Souths again early in the season, the Tigers board will explode and sack Sheens, replacing him with everyone's favourite stalker, Craig Coleman
2. Manly - Des Hasler won't be able to give up spending 50-60 minutes a game on the field, so he'll come out of retirement and become the first Captain/coach in decades... Manly lose the rest of their games for the season.
3. Sharks - Raper won't get rid of the flat attacking style and will thus end their season in round one when Vagana gets his head taken clean off, courtesy of a flat Kimmorley pass...
4. Cowboys - they will lose another 10 games by 2 points or less and Graham Murray just won't be able to take it anymore. He'll get his shotgun and walk through training taken out the entire first grade squad!
5. Dragons - Barrett out for season - Round 1
Ryles out for season - Round 2
Blacklock out for season - Round 3
Gasnier out for season - Round 4
6. Eels - Because of a 2 point win over the Cowboys thanks to a Nathan Hindmarsh try, Graham Murray escapes authorities for long enough to get to Parra stadium and take out Hindy with his final bullet.
7. Broncos - Ikin comes out of retirement and takes over the halfback position. Webke and Tallis punch on at training. The crazy bastards put each other out for 12 and 10 weeks repectively with internal bleeding...
8. Knights - Ben Kennedy is only a 50/50 cahnce of playing EVERY WEEK. Although that is the same as this season was, someone lines Joey up and puts a big head high hit on him ending his career and the Knights season.
9. Warriors - It was the entire Warriors forward pack that took out Joey and they all get suspended for 8 weeks each...
10. Storm - The no names, play like no names and no amount of super coaching can save them. The few Melbourne fans that they had turn on them and start throwing bottles at one particularly bad loss to the Rabbitohs and several players are taken to hospital. This is a PR disaster for the NRL and they decide to give up on Victoria and leave it to play foursomes back.
11. Raiders - Miraculously, the Fans on this forum manage to get jobs as City/Country, SOO, and test selectors for both Australia and NZ. Thus the entire Raiders squad plays all rep games, and is unable to keep up their form throughout the season.
12. Bulldogs - Salary cap bites them REALLY hard. And all 3 hughes brothers play first grade, in effect, ending their season...
13. Roosters - Ricky Stuart whinges to the media for every single thing that has gone wrong all season. The media get sick of it and no longer pay attention. Ricketson, Fittler, Wing, Walker etc. no longer get their faces on TV or in the paper enough and lose their passion for playing and fall over towards the end of the season.
14. Panthers - I will, I mean someone will spread a virus through the Panthers camp sending them all to hospital for several months.

Leaving only the mighty Rabbitohs to lift the trophy at the end of the season.
As with most of my posts, nobody take this seriously, it's all in fun.....

Southernsaint

Staff member
fizman said:
Cronulla will win the comp because we are the latest club to have a rookie Coach. We will follow on from Messrs Hagan and Stuart to win it as a first year Head Coach.

And Nathan Brown did such a great job at Saints last season in his first year...

Does Mr Raper like Northies & the TAB too??

Cheers,
Ben S.

Raider_69

Post Whore
thickos said:
OVP said:

*puke*
Geez you made a real great case for your team in 2004 you stupid toss :roll:
All you've done is reinforced the fact that Roosters fans are arrogant and more importantly, are a little scared that the empire is crumbling....
October 2002 was a long time ago and you guys aren't the champions of jack sh*t anymore. Actually you are the champions of jack sh*t - you bought Finch and Chris Walker.

btw Lolesi is a bulldog now, and a kiwi, so give yourself a triple uppercut

good call
emphatic golf claps all around for thickos

pfft lolesi an australian winger :lol: :lol:
apparently someone dosnt do their reserach
Brett Finch and Chris Walker
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
good buys

and it was nice of OVP to show he stupidity for us once again, now about those triples, why not add a few extra for good measure
:lol:

Jericho

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
This IS the year of THE MIGHTY EELS!!!!!!
I wish this was true Misty,but i think your looking through blue & gold glasses.
The only way we're gonna win is if we go back in time 22 years.
Oh...if only we could. ;-)

Manly Eagle

Juniors
fizman said:

Same with Hasler coaching Manly.

Jimbo

Immortal
CliffyGC said:
The sharks will win the comp because metrologists have forcasted Hell to freeze over Late September early october in 2004 :p :p :p :p (Joke)

No, that's why Manly will make the 8...

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Raiders:

The reason why we will win the comp in 2004 is because we have the best mix of youth, experience and skill. Our forward pack is close if not the best in the comp. Lead up front by an experienced Davico, and the young and hungry Ryan OHara, the work ethic of Ian Hindmarsh and sheer power and attacking prowless of rubin wiki provides one of the best 2nd row combinations. Our hooker and captain when on song can play well above his weight and is in the 4th best hooker in the comp atm, sitting behind only Buderus, Wing and Priddis. With the work-aholic Terry Martin packing the scrum we have a powerful and mobile unit. And lest not forget to mention Waymen and Cross, who IMO are bound for rep teams, Ben Cross is the next Rubin Wiki ;-)

Our halfs are McLinden and the back to the future Croker, Croker provides the experience and defence whilst McLinden has that unpridicable style and is growing as a halfback. Add Skippy (Drew) and a young Campeese to that mixture and we have enormus depth in the halves.

Our blackline is often under-rated because of our enormus forward pack. But in the backline we have the brains of our opperation Schifcofske, he didnt come 3rd in the Dally M count last year for nothing. On the wings we have Joel Monaghan who scored 23 tries last season and partnering him will more than likly be Matt Gafa who scored a mamoith 350 odd points in Premier League last year. Our centres provide a wonderful mix, Graham the young and exciting attacking player, with a few extra kilos during offseason he will a handy defender aswell and Mogg the old wise defencive man, mind you he aint to shabby in attack either.

Now i cant talk about all this without mentioning Matty Elliot, in his short time at the club he has turned us form a borderline top 8 team to a top 4 and only 2 points form the minor premiership. He has been the catayst for our dramatic away record turn around which saw us lose ony a handful of games away last season.

This precise mix of youth and experience is why the might raiders will win the premiership next season. GO THE MIGHTY GREEN MACHINE!

You guys have no depth. Last year you and penrith had very little injuries, that's one of the main reasons you went so well. Loose 2 or 3 players and your team will struggle.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
We do have depth. If the Raiders premier league team is anything to go by, it's alot of depth, who will slowly be bred into Class 1st Grade Players.

innsaneink

Referee
Raiders 2004 said:
We do have depth. If the Raiders premier league team is anything to go by, it's alot of depth, who will slowly be bred into Class 1st Grade Players.

Wests Tigers also have depth now...something thats been missing for some time...with the well publiscized new buys that we have for this year ...along with quite a few exciting new juniors coming throught the ranks....Wests Tigers are looking to give the top eight a real shake this year and next year hopefully be in a position to have a fair dinkum crack at the title.