What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Parramatta

Eels Fanatic

Juniors
Why Parramatta?

Having followed the Eels for 24 years now I was reminiscing the day I chose to barrack for them exclusively. Would love to know why the rest of us now bleed blue and gold.

For me it was 10 minutes before the 86 Grand Final. I lived in the USA (gotta love the navy) and on arriving back on aussie soil was mesmerised by these men playing what was obviously a rough game with no helmets elbow pads etc. It intrigued me from the get go, but as I did not not have much of an idea being 5 at the time I followed the two teams everyone seemed to talk about - the Eels and the Bulldogs.

Then comes the 86 Grand Final and I am asked who I want to win with 30 people (mostly adults) waiting for an answer. I replied both teams in which they chucked a hissy fit and told me if I wanted to stay and watch the Grand Final I would have to get off the fence and pick a team. I decided I liked the Eels better and went for them. After that unbelievable roller coaster of a ride for a game I have stuck with them through thick and thin.

What's your story?

RockWheel

Bench
I'm a masochist.

Same situation as you, 'cept replace '86 grand final with '01 grand final. Good choice.

Stagger eel

Staff member
good choice..

my sister put a gun to my head in 1976 and declared that it's Parra or else...I haven't looked back ever since.

Gronk

Staff member
I didn't have a choice. I'd go the games at Cumberland Oval with my Dad. He's stand by the light tower just north of the stand and I'd switch between there and getting players autographs. Arthur Beetson was my prize signature and wow, Phil Mann was super human to a 10yo.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I didn't have a choice. I'd go the games at Cumberland Oval with my Dad. He's stand by the light tower just north of the stand and I'd switch between there and getting players autographs. Arthur Beetson was my prize signature and wow, Phil Mann was super human to a 10yo.

do you remember the roar that would go up at about 1:30 each sunday when Pricey made his way from the Victoria road enterence right through to the changerooms?? love those famous hawaiian (sp) shirts...:lol:

Last edited:

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Why Parramatta?

Having followed the Eels for 24 years now I was reminiscing the day I chose to barrack for them exclusively. Would love to know why the rest of us now bleed blue and gold.

For me it was 10 minutes before the 86 Grand Final. I lived in the USA (gotta love the navy) and on arriving back on aussie soil was mesmerised by these men playing what was obviously a rough game with no helmets elbow pads etc. It intrigued me from the get go, but as I did not not have much of an idea being 5 at the time I followed the two teams everyone seemed to talk about - the Eels and the Bulldogs.

Then comes the 86 Grand Final and I am asked who I want to win with 30 people (mostly adults) waiting for an answer. I replied both teams in which they chucked a hissy fit and told me if I wanted to stay and watch the Grand Final I would have to get off the fence and pick a team. I decided I liked the Eels better and went for them. After that unbelievable roller coaster of a ride for a game I have stuck with them through thick and thin.

What's your story?

Same year for me and some other weird coincidences.

I was born in the US and moved to Australia in 1986 when I was nine.

I took an instant liking to rugby league.

I spent a lot of time with an Australian family who were Balmain-crazy. It was like there were only two teams - the Tigers and another team that changed their colours every week.

I saw the Eels play Manly one day and immediately liked them as a team. I followed them for the next couple of months through to winning the Grand Final.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It started for me watching the 82 GF, i was 4 at the time. I asked the old man who he wanted to win. Being a West's supporter and hating all things Manly he said Parra, i cheered the boys home that day and have been cheering for them ever since. Highlight being that memorable 86 GF.

Dad taking me to games, and cracking GF BBQ's from 81 onwards at a family friend's place in Liverpool.

Still great memories of driving home from Liverpool to Epping past the Leagues Club after the GF wins.

Still going to games with my Dad - our main form of catch-up as we now live on opposite sides of Sydney

eElz1

Juniors
I had a fascination with Sea creatures when i was a kid. I used to collect the footy cards of only teams wiht sea creatures.. I collected the Sharks too, and to a lesser extent, the Sea Eagles.

I just stuck with the Eels. no real reason. that was in the early 90's.

Gronk

Staff member
do you remember the raw that would go up at about 1:30 each sunday when Pricey made his way from the Victoria road enterence right through to the changerooms?? love those famous hawaiian (sp) shirts...:lol:

Yeah great days. I miss the community feeling of Cumberland Oval. How the first graders used to stand in front of the grand stand with their kit bag between their feet and watch U23's or reggies up to half time. How half a dozen players from the lower grades would sit on the bench in their dirty shorts and socks as a reward for a good game, hoping for the coach to call them up for a crack with the big boys. Pricey with his praying mantis stance at the goal posts (still don't really understand why he did that :lol:)

Don't miss the food from from canteen under the grandstand though ! :crazy::lol:

HevyDevy

Coach
Didn't choose to support them, it was in my blood. As far back as I can remember I was a Parra supporter.

Brenno75

Juniors
Born and raised in Bankstown, who else would i support?
I can't really remember when i first started going for Parra because i have supported them for as long as i can remember!

Hutchy86

Juniors
my old boy was a Manly supporter.. so out of disdain for him I followed the team who he hated the most

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Hellsy and i were not given a choice. For reals, we have photos in blue and gold knitted baby clothes.

I got my first season ticket at age 7 and i supported Scotty Mahon with all my might!

parra pete

Referee
My godfather (George Cook) scored the first ever try for Parramatta. Watched a few games in 58/59 but really got into it with a group of mates (who are still close mates) in 1960 when Jack Argent signed Ron Boden as coach, and Paul Pyers.
In 61 the Club added Ron Lynch and Brian Hambly before adding Bob Bugden, Leo Toohey, Noel Dolton and the greatest of them all The Mayor, Ken Thornett, in 1962.
We never missed a game. This is my fiftieth year as a supporter. Loved EVERY minute of it, but the sixties era was my favourite. I can remember games and incidents in matches from that time like they were happening yesterday. My mates are still as strong about the Eels as I am, and when we catch up, it is ALWAYS the subject of our conversation. To say we were FANATICAL would be a gross understatement. To us following the Parra side was a way of life. We used to go to Cumberland Oval to watch training sessions!!!!!. It is very much a part of my life development, and it is something I am very proud to have been part of.
I went to Parra Marist, just up the road from Cumberland, with blokes like Gabe Very (same class) and Fitzy (a couple of years below me) who went on to become Parramatta stars.

strider

Post Whore
i don't really remember tbh - we moved back to sydney when i was 5 (1977) and we lived in the Hills area - so I guess I just went for the local team .... although my mum was a staunch bulldogs fan at the time cos she grew up around canterbury .... but my dad went for parra and so did I - however later in the 90s my dad jumped ship to Norths and claimed he had always supported them in his younger days (pfft, I dunno, my dad was prone to stretching the truth)

tresurehunt

Juniors
i was coached by brett kenny when i played for the guildford owls,he was fullback for the a grade side,we won 3 straight grand finals under him.bob oriely also helped coach the forwards as well. ill never forget when he got the call up to play for parramatta,thats why i support the eels.
i rememger after the 81 grand final, when i was a kid i sat on his front steps waiting for him to come home as i lived almost next door to him,those were the days.
i also remember aurther beatson coming to watch one our games ,his jaw was wired up with heaps of vaso on it,it looked broken. i have lots of good memory's and stories about the old eels .

Latest posts