What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Parramatta

Suitman

Post Whore
I didn't have a choice. I'd go the games at Cumberland Oval with my Dad. He's stand by the light tower just north of the stand and I'd switch between there and getting players autographs.

That is excatly what happened to me - including the positions our dads used to stand in.

I however, spent the first season of my watching the Eels sliding down the grass on the back of the hill on empty ice cream boxes. I was about 6.

Suity

Captain BF

Juniors
I was born in the now non-existent Parramatta Hospital, which was just over the road from Parra Stadium apparently. My Dad & Mum both grew up in Parramatta. We lived in Wenty until the early 90's when i was in my early teens. I can still remember the many times we used to walk across Parramatta Park to go to the footy. My family used to take up two rows in the East terrace for the first couple of years that the stadium was open. It's now just Dad & I and occassionally either Mum or my wife comes to the footy as well.

I am attempting to pass the batton on to my beautiful little daughter. I recently splurged and bought her the "Heritage" jersey, but have leanrt my lesson from the previous jersey i bought her and got it a few sizes bigger than she is now so she can wear it for a few years.

My favourite players over the years are # 1 with a gold star Nathan Hindmarsh, "The Bookends", Pricey, Sterlo, Burt & Bert, Fuifui, Tooks, David Woods, Schifcofske, Wally Wynn, Ella, Laurie, The Crow and am warming to that new bloke Hayne...

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
It was 1962, I was 5. Ron Lynch was living at Rydalmere and frequently came to the shop my parents owned on Victoria Road Rydalmere (where Kennards Hire is located now, next to the BP station). It was through dads connection with Ron Lynch and other Eels players that I became an Eels fan for life. I remember sitting on shoulders (Cumberland was always packed when I went) watching Ron Lynch, Brian Hambly, Dick Thornett, Ken Thornett and others defeat Souths, Dragons, etc, particularly the mid-week hard fought victory over the touring Great Britain side. In my experience the highly explosive atmosphere at that game against the poms has yet to be surpassed. Maybe the game against the storm in a few weeks time could rival or surpass it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
My godfather (George Cook) scored the first ever try for Parramatta. Watched a few games in 58/59 but really got into it with a group of mates (who are still close mates) in 1960 when Jack Argent signed Ron Boden as coach, and Paul Pyers.
In 61 the Club added Ron Lynch and Brian Hambly before adding Bob Bugden, Leo Toohey, Noel Dolton and the greatest of them all The Mayor, Ken Thornett, in 1962.
We never missed a game. This is my fiftieth year as a supporter. Loved EVERY minute of it, but the sixties era was my favourite. I can remember games and incidents in matches from that time like they were happening yesterday. My mates are still as strong about the Eels as I am, and when we catch up, it is ALWAYS the subject of our conversation. To say we were FANATICAL would be a gross understatement. To us following the Parra side was a way of life. We used to go to Cumberland Oval to watch training sessions!!!!!. It is very much a part of my life development, and it is something I am very proud to have been part of.
I went to Parra Marist, just up the road from Cumberland, with blokes like Gabe Very (same class) and Fitzy (a couple of years below me) who went on to become Parramatta stars.

That was a great read, mate.

Eelementary

Post Whore
As for me, it's a long story, but here goes:

Born in Sydney in 1985. At age 5 we moved overseas - we spent the next ten years in various different countries (The Netherlands, Chile, Finland and Spain). In August 2000 we eventually returned to Sydney.

Now, my cousins and uncles and aunts are all Eels fans, and my dad used to tell me stories of this great man called Mr. Perpetual Motion, Ray Price. He had this glean in his eyes every time he spoke of the man. That, combined with the fact I thought it was so awesome that my entire family went for the Eels, meant I decided I wanted to start following Parra.

I had never seen a rugby league game until 2000 - I had come off the Wallabies' World Cup win in 1999, so I knew what rugby was. Eventually, after reading up on the game, watching games, playing at some levels and just immersing myself in the game, I came to understand the game of rugby league and became a huge fan of this club. 2001 was probably my first serious season of following league, because I was able to watch them from start to finish, and was able to relate to the club.

I have memories of having the former Cold Chisel keyboard player (was his name Don Walker? I don't know - not a CC fan tbh), who was then dating a friend of my mother's whom she hadn't seen in years, another man, my dad my sister and I sitting in the lounge room watching the 2001 Grand Final on TV (mum wouldn't let us go because she had people over that day!), and being crushed when we lost - made all the worse because those two fools were going for Newcastle.

Mickyd39

Juniors
As long as i can remember i have followed Parra.

I think it is in the blood, my parents are from Parramatta and as a child i lived in the area.

When i was a kid a lot people said i looked like Ray Higgs.

i don't know if that is a bad thing or a good thing.

Suitman

Post Whore
As long as i can remember i have followed Parra.

I think it is in the blood, my parents are from Parramatta and as a child i lived in the area.

When i was a kid a lot people said i looked like Ray Higgs.

i don't know if that is a bad thing or a good thing.

His nickname was Bulldog, so draw your own conclusion.

Suity

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I jumped on the Parra bandwagon after that miracle run last season,if they don't win the grand final this season i will probably switch to another team

Jokes:cool:

parra pete

Referee
That was a great read, mate.

Thanks Eelementary. I didn't mean it as such though :lol:

Being a Parramatta supporter for 50 years has helped shape who I am. The team is never far from my thoughts, and I have gone by the nickname of "Parra" ever since I moved to Hay in 1966 - transferred with my employment.
My late Dad was also a great Parra fan, as was my older brother, who was an Australian selector for the first Australian Schoolboys team in 1972, and succeeded Roy Masters as coach on the NSWCHS Open side in about 1974 I think.
He got the sh*ts when the Super League business was on, and now is a fanatical Sydney Swans supporter and member who has reserved seats and never misses a match.

These are a few of my contributions to the Daily Telegraph in the 1964 season. I reckon I had thousands printed over the years. There was no internet in those days.....

letterettes.jpg

you can all thank parra-matters for bringing me into the fold in my early days i was a dragons supporter (i even went for them in the 77 grand final) i lost interest in league for a while after that and he encouraged me to support the mighty eels its funny i took to the dragons because most of my family bleeds blue and gold: my grandmother, three uncles and several cousins are all eels tragics

Last edited:
I was not aloud to say the word Manly in the house during the first 16 years of my life. I look back and go sheez my old man was awesome.

I have loved the eels since i was a kid.

Djay

Juniors
My whole family were huge Parra fans and season ticket holders. One day they took me to a game when I was 5 and have loved them ever since.

hilltop hood

Juniors
Grew up in the area.

While following Souths (what an embarrassment) due to a namesake in their lineup, I spent many winter Sunday afternoons watching Bob O'Reilly, Keithy Campbell, Lynchy, Kolcy, Johnny McMartin etc getting towelled up by everybody except Manly.

Spent more time rumbling behind the southern goalposts trying to get my little hands on the ball after kicks at goal, invariably opposition conversion attempts, than actualy watching the footy.

By the time the boys reached the Grand Final in '76 I was well and truly hooked. Who remembers the scenes in Parra and Westfields on the Thursday before the big game?

One of my fondest memories, and a win that sticks out in my mind was against Manly (pre '76 and we hated them already) when Phil Mann scored 2 tries in a 10-0 win in the pouring rain. You northern light tower boys recall that? The tries were both in that corner.

Hoody

domstrama78

Juniors
dad always had (and still does) an original parra beanie with the pompom I said to him, what team is that? He replied Paraaaahmattaaahhh (being Calabrese of course) from that moment I was a Parra Fan!

Latest posts