What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Parramatta

haynemagic

Juniors
hey natheel im from nowra. Good to see the parramatta supporters on the south coast. Also slippery morris is my PE teacher at school.

Anyway like many other people blue and gold was just in my blood. From the first game of rugby league i saw when i was around 5. I found myself getting so angry and nervous watching games. And year by year i got more interested in the eels.

lewiscook

Juniors
Dad is a mad Parra fan, so i was pretty much up as a passionate Parra.

Remember the days of watching recorded Parra games early sat morning when i was to young to watch them on the friday night.

booeycollector

Juniors
My family migrated from the dark continent in mid 1986. I was 12 years old. We lived in Castle Hill and found that the mighty eels were our local team. I watched all of their games culminating in the '86 premiership win. Never looked back. They are the one thing (other than my family) that the world stops for. I have missed weddings, birthday parties and many other special occasions...all because the eels are playing. My father and brother are also mad eels fans. My wife understands my passion and my four year old son is also well on his way to being a eels fan (already sings the Parra theme song and the Fui fui song :D). All in all the eels are a big part of my life and god help the day they finally win the big one............

Last edited:

btaag

Juniors
Like many posters I was born into it as Mum and Dad were Eels fans. Born in 79, so old enough to remember the 86 Grand Final.
Also, my formative League years were spent seeing us get smashed from late 80s to 1995 which has made me love the club even more (ironically one of the best periods to support the team). Nothing will surpass the feeling of finally winning another GF - I tell my friends who support other clubs - 1 Eels Grand Final win will be worth the wait, and worth the pain of games like the 98 prelim vs the Dogs, etc. but I digress.....

eelmania2

Juniors
Went for a family holiday to Sydney in about 1974 to rellations place who lived out parra way, i was 12.
Went to a game to see parra play.
people we were staying with were big parra suporters.

didnt really worry about footy till i was at boarding school in 1977 and a lot of the kids asked who i supported so since i had seen parra live thats who i supported.
there were a lot of st george supporters there so i became quite vocal in supporting parra and have ever since.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Thanks Eelementary. I didn't mean it as such though :lol:

Being a Parramatta supporter for 50 years has helped shape who I am. The team is never far from my thoughts, and I have gone by the nickname of "Parra" ever since I moved to Hay in 1966 - transferred with my employment.
My late Dad was also a great Parra fan, as was my older brother, who was an Australian selector for the first Australian Schoolboys team in 1972, and succeeded Roy Masters as coach on the NSWCHS Open side in about 1974 I think.
He got the sh*ts when the Super League business was on, and now is a fanatical Sydney Swans supporter and member who has reserved seats and never misses a match.

These are a few of my contributions to the Daily Telegraph in the 1964 season. I reckon I had thousands printed over the years. There was no internet in those days.....

View attachment 2462

I always look forward to your contributions.

Clarkieel

Juniors
someone gave me an Eels scarf when I was very young so that is why I go for them and I still wear that scarf hehehe

Joely01

Bench
My godfather (George Cook) scored the first ever try for Parramatta. Watched a few games in 58/59 but really got into it with a group of mates (who are still close mates) in 1960 when Jack Argent signed Ron Boden as coach, and Paul Pyers.
In 61 the Club added Ron Lynch and Brian Hambly before adding Bob Bugden, Leo Toohey, Noel Dolton and the greatest of them all The Mayor, Ken Thornett, in 1962.
We never missed a game. This is my fiftieth year as a supporter. Loved EVERY minute of it, but the sixties era was my favourite. I can remember games and incidents in matches from that time like they were happening yesterday. My mates are still as strong about the Eels as I am, and when we catch up, it is ALWAYS the subject of our conversation. To say we were FANATICAL would be a gross understatement. To us following the Parra side was a way of life. We used to go to Cumberland Oval to watch training sessions!!!!!. It is very much a part of my life development, and it is something I am very proud to have been part of.
I went to Parra Marist, just up the road from Cumberland, with blokes like Gabe Very (same class) and Fitzy (a couple of years below me) who went on to become Parramatta stars.
Did your godfather George Cook play with Ian Johnston by any chance?

leo9999

Juniors
brought up as a youngster as Dragon supporter by both parents. when i understood the game I fell in love with the Blue and Gold :) supported them since i was 7 .. Mind you im the only parra supporter in my entire family. There either dragons or bulldogs Supporters..