What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why would a billion dollar organisation act this way?

BunniesMan

Immortal
ALLAN Zreik has always been the man behind the greatest prize in rugby league.

A humble Lebanese jeweller — and 1960s immigrant, no less — who almost two decades ago approached ARL officialdom with the simplest of ideas.

“Grand final rings,’’ he says. “I told the league guys I couldn’t understand why they were awarding medals to their premiers.

“Said ‘why don’t you give them a prize they can wear again?’

“Initially, they weren’t convinced footballers would wear a ring. But they agreed to give it a try.”

That was 1997. Height of Super League.

Come October, Zreik striking rings for both warring factions before, the following year, starting a partnership that’s seen him design and manufacture every NRL premiership ring ever made.

Until now.

For while he may be the founder of league’s most prized possession, Zreik has this past fortnight been told by NRL officialdom his services are no longer required.

A string of emails explaining how the grand final prize had been put to tender. And the man who came up with idea, who has forged every ring ever worn ... well, his workmanship was no longer good enough.

“And hearing that, I couldn’t believe it,’’ the jeweller says. “The news just broke my heart.”

Did worse than that, too.

On Tuesday of this week, Zreik spent two days in intensive care, his blood pressure off the charts. Doctors later revealed how heightened stress levels had almost claimed his life.

“So I just want to know what I did wrong,’’ says the owner of Zed ‘N’ Zed jewellers. “I just want someone from the NRL to say how I’ve upset them.

“I’ve had no phone calls, no meetings, nothing. Just an email saying the rings were going to tender.

“Then after putting in my application, a second email saying I’m no longer required.”

According to an NRL spokesman, the league sought tenders for the 2015 and 2016 rings to deliver “the best quality product for the players”.

They added that while Affinity Diamonds had won the right to supply, Zreik would “this year” continue to make rings for players who join the ‘300 Club’.

So who is this guy they discarded?

Well, arriving here from Lebanon aged 18, Zreik was first introduced to rugby league by a workmate who, each Saturday, always had a transistor radio attached to his ear.

“One day I asked what he was listening to,’’ the jeweller recalls. “Within months, I was hooked.”

Apart from having personally sponsored four NRL teams, City-Country, even St George Juniors Referees, Zreik has continually — and quietly — given back to the game.

Like when Canterbury were stripped of all points during the 2002 salary cap scandal and Zreik, knowing the players weren’t responsible, fashioned them each a gold ring. Coaching staff too.

All up, 26 pieces funded from his own pocket.

Elsewhere, he provides watches at cost for NRL referees who make 300 games. Has also given Johnathan Thurston a replica of the 2004 premiership ring he gifted to Steve Price.

“Because it’s not about money,’’ Zreik insists. “I’ve been making premiership rings for almost 20 years and always provided them below value.

“I’ve sponsored NRL teams. Helped with grassroots stuff. And it’s because I love rugby league. That’s why I want to know why ... why the game wants to be rid of me?”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...remiership-rings/story-fnp0lyn3-1227437262078

Billion dollar contract. Massive surpluses as far as the eye can see. And it leads to this? This is a non profit organisation. The NRL is meant to operate for the good of all who love rugby league. And someone who has given to the game more than he has ever taken has been treated like this without any apparent reason.

Card Shark

Immortal
It's a business BM, & that's a business decision. Need to save more money for the players....

I agree with what you say though - sad evolvement of rugby league.

insert.pause

First Grade
You are the typical telegraph reader, so easily manipulated into outrage.

I liked the part where the telegraph blame the NRL for his high blood pressure and nearly dying, I can't believe the NRL is trying to kill innocent old immigrants. Outrage!

It operates for the good of rugby league, not a jeweller, obviously they have got a better deal elsewhere, that's business, as a businessman he should be use to it.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes and no, probably finally bringing in some governance to stop jobs for Mates so going to tender for any nrl contract is not an issue, why he didn't win the tender we don't know and probably never will so hard to pass judgement.

It will be called a business decision. Money before anyone and everything. The game is run by bankers and so called business people these days. They'll probably be made in China now.

Flapper

First Grade
Why would a billion dollar organisation put contracts out to tender and go with the best deal for the business?

Literally every billion dollar organisation would act this way you gibbering codpiece. the NRL is a business. It is looking after its business. That's why Dave Smith is the best CEO we've ever had.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's a business BM, & that's a business decision. Need to save more money for the players....

I agree with what you say though - sad evolvement of rugby league.
But the NRL quote doesn't even talk about cost. They mention quality when nobody has ever complained about the quality of the rings, and he's apparently good enough to keep making the 300 club rings but not the premiership rings.

And if it is about money, will a random business do as much extra stuff above and beyond like he has for many years?

That is the problem when everything becomes about having a dollar value. Accountants don't put value on things like passion, and all the things he has done over the years.
Yes and no, probably finally bringing in some governance to stop jobs for Mates so going to tender for any nrl contract is not an issue, why he didn't win the tender we don't know and probably never will so hard to pass judgement.

Isn't it also good governance to be open and accountable and explain clearly how and why you make decisions?

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Why would a billion dollar organisation put contracts out to tender and go with the best deal for the business?

Literally every billion dollar organisation would act this way you gibbering codpiece. the NRL is a business. It is looking after its business. That's why Dave Smith is the best CEO we've ever had.

a) The NRL didnt even mention costs. b) if costs were an issue it opens a whole new can of worms about properly valuing service. I bet they don't properly value what he brings to the table.

BuffaloRules

Coach
a) The NRL didnt even mention costs. b) if costs were an issue it opens a whole new can of worms about properly valuing service. I bet they don't properly value what he brings to the table.

We don't know the whole story though do we?

Just the part The Telegraph has told...

Canard

Immortal
I actually think the rings are a bit "cheap" looking and could do with a face lift.

It's seems a bit strange to think that someone believes they are owed a living.

The man's health is certainly unfortunate

insert.pause

First Grade
You act like he was doing it for free, the reason he did it at cost was also a business decision, because he got exposure for his business, that's why there's been a picture of him every year in the telegraph holding the GF ring. He also got to sell licensed NRL jewellery.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Isn't it also good governance to be open and accountable and explain clearly how and why you make decisions?

I would expect the ceo to explain that to the Arlc board yes, not to the Telecrap! Sounds like the jeweller was told why he wasnt successful, they weren't impressed wit the quality of the product. Maybe they gave him the 300 contract as a thank you for the extras he has done?

hutch

First Grade
You are the typical telegraph reader, so easily manipulated into outrage.

I liked the part where the telegraph blame the NRL for his high blood pressure and nearly dying, I can't believe the NRL is trying to kill innocent old immigrants. Outrage!

It operates for the good of rugby league, not a jeweller, obviously they have got a better deal elsewhere, that's business, as a businessman he should be use to it.

This!