What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widders

PIG

Juniors
Whilst everyone else tries to downplay any drama this bloke is always first one to complain about morale, or Brian leaving- saying that he's not wanted so may have to follow Brian etc...etc...

Is his mind even on the job this year? He seems to be very pessamistic and is playing accordingly. Ever noticed that Brians boys- i.e Deano, Morris, Vella, Cayless, Burt...the ones that are portraied as being closest to Brian anyway- are the ones whose form has dropped off the most.

Really Dennis, yes you believe in contracts but sack Smith before this whole season becomes a complete and utter waste...and if his boys wanna whinge sbout it- simple....just promote guys from the all conquering reserve grade side...i'm sure they'll be greatful for the opportunity.

bartman

Immortal
I think on field, there are certain players and roles which cannot function effectively without a platform being laid up front.

I would class Widders role off the bench, as well as Smith and Morris's roles to an extent as being reliant on our side being tight and storng in the middle. I think Vella has been OK in the games he has played, to be honest, and Cayless is off his game, but would probably be the first to admit it.

So I think if we can fix things around the ruck and not let as many breaks through the middle, then those guys will mostly all play to the levels we know they can as a result.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Who would we replace Brian with, though?

Dennis' genius decision has put Brian, Hayden, Sharpy, JT and a lot of the players offside. We are not happy chappies.

I resent each and every one of them for it, too (perhaps not Hayden) - this is professional sport. Try acting like professionals instead of whinging like little b*itches ffs.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Hayden hasn't done anything wrong he wanted to stay at Parra and when Brian asked him to go to Newcastle Hayden told him just that.

fish eel

Immortal
I'd go out on a limb and say we'd still be having dramas whatever happened.

If Smith was signed up - people would be blowing up that he'd been here to long.

If no decision was made - people would be blowing up about the uncertainty about how was coming here next year.

If Smith was sacked and paid out - who would have been the choice? Jason Taylor? Given the board didnt think he'd be up to it, and he was overlooked for both the newcastle and canberra gigs.....I think perhaps they were right on that call.

At least fitzy made a call on smith one way or another

strider

Post Whore
fish eel said:
I'd go out on a limb and say we'd still be having dramas whatever happened.

If Smith was signed up - people would be blowing up that he'd been here to long.

If no decision was made - people would be blowing up about the uncertainty about how was coming here next year.

If Smith was sacked and paid out - who would have been the choice? Jason Taylor? Given the board didnt think he'd be up to it, and he was overlooked for both the newcastle and canberra gigs.....I think perhaps they were right on that call.

At least fitzy made a call on smith one way or another

mmmm - true

fish eel

Immortal
strider said:
mmmm - true

of course. I dont talk rubbish. ;-)

On the other hand, there is a theory that a political leader effectively becomes a lame duck when people know they are leaving. Which is why Howard has never said his going and why bob Carr just pulled the pin, whereas Tony Blair has already said he'll be gone before the next UK election - and is since in deep political trouble over there

Tyler Durden

Juniors
there was another option -

as soon as newcastle signed smithy, both boards should have got together and arranged the coaches to be swapped asap.

hagan and smithy would have loved it because they could get their plans, retention and recruitment in one year earlier than expected
players would know that they needed to perform in 06, rather than wait for the coma to end.
each club would continue to pay for their 2006 contracted coach

but having said all that, this season is FAR from over
we only know too well that results now mean crap come september - if you're still alive and playing good footy then, you're right up in it to your eyeballs.
just a question of how much we really want it.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Widders seem to be not playing well because no one is falling for hes dummy act, he needs to offload more so people dont know what hes gonna do.

Hes more targeted now and i dont think he had a big off season like last year.

Suitman

Post Whore
eels_fan_01 said:
Widders seem to be not playing well because no one is falling for hes dummy act, he needs to offload more so people dont know what hes gonna do.

Hes more targeted now and i dont think he had a big off season like last year.

He comes on and plays in the backline.

Our backline isn't firing because our forwards have been soft and aren't dominating.

Simple.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
He comes on and plays in the backline.

Our backline isn't firing because our forwards have been soft and aren't dominating.

Simple.

Suity

my concern with dean is that last year he was everywhere. He'd go looking and make things happen. so far this year, he seems content to sit out wide and watch and wait.