What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop in Dragons' sights and SIGNED!

Saintsified

Bench
Widdop in Dragons' sights

St George Illawarra may boast the English halves combination next season after expressing interest in Melbourne's Gareth Widdop as a replacement for Penrith bound Jamie Soward.
Fairfax Media understands the Dragons have had discussions with Widdop's manager, Paul Sutton, to lure him from Melbourne in a move that could see him play alongside England half-back Rangi Chase.

Louiethefly

Juniors
Has everyone given up on our up and coming halves, like Style, Drinkwater, Quinlan and Cummins? I think Stanley offers alot, and he is over-due to stay injury free for a while.

Lethal25

Juniors
Versatile player as well, can kick goals and play fullback if needed. Thought Broncos had him in their sights though

Steelman

Juniors
Yesderday had the chance to play golf with two recently retired dragons legends and word out of the dragons bunker is they r close to signing Tim Sheens as head coach for 2014.Also have opened negotiations with Gareth Widdop to b signed as a marquee player and half back long term. Apparently played half as a junior and for english national team. I asked about Drinkwaters postion at the club response is he will b used as a back up half 5/8.Anyway make of it what u will dragons fans.

nrlnrl

First Grade
An important part of this to consider - Paul Sutton. He is the manager for both Gareth Widdop & Josh Dugan.

Steelman

Juniors
Yesderday had the chance to play golf with two recently retired dragons legends and word out of the dragons bunker is they r close to signing Tim Sheens as head coach for 2014.Also have opened negotiations with Gareth Widdop to b signed as a marquee player and half back long term. Apparently played half as a junior and for english national team. I asked about Drinkwaters postion at the club response is he will b used as a back up half 5/8.Anyway make of it what u will dragons fans.

saints4ever

First Grade
if true, we are f**ked for 2014. no matter where we finish this year I will always prefer price over f**king sheens

possm

Coach
I believe the combination of Dugan, Widdop, Chase and Rein/King will make a great spine. Of course our youngsters will back up these players during absence through injuries and/or rep games.

I believe Sheens has been on the Boards radar ever since he left the Tigers and became their next target after missing out on Bellamy. Once the Dragons announce that he is the new head coach from 2014 on, announcements regarding the signing of Dugan and Widdop will follow. I expect the announcement of Sheen as our new coach will take place soon after tonights game; maybe early next week.

Well it's full steam ahead on the rumour mill. When will it ever end. IMO Widdop- Yes, Chase - Yes, Dugan - Yes & Sheens - Not sure, feel for Price if this is true.

dragonv

Juniors
I can see the headline now...

"Widdop re-signs with the Storm for 4 years"

...meanwhile Rangi Chase has agreed to a 3 year deal with the Roosters. Dragons CEO Peter Doust has neither confirmed or denied reports the Dragons have their sights on Joe Bloggs from the Whoop Whoop Whales. Bloggs has expressed his interest in joining the NRL but it is said his manager is said to have discouraged Bloggs from linking with the St George Illawarra club. Doust's sister has also been linked with the Dragons...

Mr Red

First Grade
Has everyone given up on our up and coming halves, like Style, Drinkwater, Quinlan and Cummins? I think Stanley offers alot, and he is over-due to stay injury free for a while.

Stanley's legs are more brittle then the piece of chalk Mrs Marsh used to snap to demonstrate how good colgate toothpaste is..
dont count on him being anything more then a half decent utility player..

Elias1983

Coach
Dragons look south to fill Soward void

Date April 19, 2013
  • St George Illawarra may boast an English halves combination next season after expressing interest in Melbourne's Gareth Widdop as a replacement for Penrith-bound five-eighth Jamie Soward.
Fairfax Media understands the Dragons have had discussions with Widdop's manager, Paul Sutton, to lure the 24-year-old away from Melbourne in a move that could see him play alongside England halfback Rangi Chase.
It is believed the joint venture could have Chase back at the club as early as next week after officials from English Super League club Castleford said they would not stand in his way if he accepted an offer from the Dragons.
20130418202225206673-300x0.jpg
In the crosshairs: Gareth Widdop. Photo: Getty Images

The Dragons, who confirmed the signing of Canberra forward Joel Thompson on Thursday, have plenty of money to spend in next year's salary cap, with Matt Cooper, Nathan Fien, Ben Creagh, Mitch Rein, Chase Stanley, Michael Weyman, Bronx Goodwin and Matt Prior all off contract.
Advertisement
They haven't been active in the player market since Wayne Bennett joined the club in 2009, but they are after some high-profile signings for next year, and have shown interest in Cronulla's Todd Carney.
However, given the uncertainty around the future at the Sharks, the Dragons risk missing out on Widdop if they wait around for Carney to make a decision while he awaits the outcome of the ASADA investigation.
The Dragons have expressed an interest in off-contract Warriors back-rower Feleti Mateo, who has also been linked to former coach Ivan Cleary at the Panthers.
Sutton has been in constant deliberation with the Dragons over the past month in his dealings with Josh Dugan, but at the same time has been working with Dragons coach Steve Price and recruitment manager Craig Young to accommodate the Storm playmaker.
Melbourne have tabled an offer to Widdop but are waiting to hear back from their No.6 while he negotiates with other clubs.
While it is highly unlikely, the Dragons could have Chase back at the club before Thursday's Anzac Day clash against the Roosters. Castleford chief executive Steve Gill all but conceded losing the English pivot to his former club.
''There is an Australian club that wants Rangi and Rangi has said that he would like to go there,'' Gill said. ''We want to keep Rangi - he's our player - but ultimately it's going to be Rangi's call because we don't want to keep a player at Castleford Tigers who doesn't want to be here. If he wants to leave, then we'll make it happen and look at compensation.''
Kyle Stanley has also put his hand up to fill Soward's vacant No.6 jersey next year. "I definitely want to take that role," Stanley said. "One hundred per cent [I want that position]. I've played my juniors in the halves and I want to end up in the halves.
''[Soward] has done a good thing by his family. He has helped me with my game a lot. We are great, good friends. I was pretty upset when he told me. He has done so much for the club.
"He is going to leave a massive hole. He brings a lot to the team. He is our goal kicker and general play kicker. It's a massive hole … if Nathan Fien retires, too, they leave two huge gaps in the team."
Stanley has long been earmarked as an NRL star but injuries have hampered his progression. He will undergo his fourth knee reconstruction in two weeks after slipping in his backyard in November ending his 2013 season.
"I had the tunnel in my knee filled up with artificial bone and that takes a four-month heeling process," Stanley said. "I want to get this one right to get back on the field. We got a second opinion because the knee has failed twice and we needed to get it clarified."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...soward-void-20130418-2i32i.html#ixzz2QrJN7Iat

BennyV

Referee

Can't help but agree.However, Drinkwater could still be a few years away from being a cemented firstgrader; wouldn't hurt to learn under Rangi and Widdop (assuming these happen); I'd LOVE to see Style come good with his injuries, but last year we depended on him and look where that left us; unfortunately, I can't see us holding on to Quinlan, he has Beale, Cummins and now (possibly) Dugan ahead of him and he will be picked up by another club; Cummins concerns me, dont want to lose this kid and while he can probably spend a bit more time in NSW cup, I imagine other clubs will be circling as soon as he comes off contract...

chris_el

Juniors
One good thing about having english halves, they could become the best halves in the NRL and we still wouldn't lose them over the Origin period.