What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop in Dragons' sights and SIGNED!

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'm not quite flicking my bean over this just yet. Looks good, but so do a lot of players in the Melbourne system. We'll see, but happy with the direction the club is going.

Fullback maybe?

BennyV

Referee
That covers halfback, 5/8, centre OR fullback, take your pick! Awesome signing! With Chase and Dugan on the way, I couldnt be happier! If we get Josh Morris to boot, I will seriously do a backflip!!!

This leads me to believe that Price may get his extension - there was an article not long ago stating that the club was tossing up the option of keep Price on and going on a recruitment drive...well, the latter has fallen into place...

saint.nick

Coach
Jesus christ the saints have launched an all-out assault on the player market in recent days...great signing

hugzy

Juniors
Widdop in Dragons' sights

St George Illawarra may boast the English halves combination next season after expressing interest in Melbourne's Gareth Widdop as a replacement for Penrith bound Jamie Soward.
Fairfax Media understands the Dragons have had discussions with Widdop's manager, Paul Sutton, to lure him from Melbourne in a move that could see him play alongside England half-back Rangi Chase.

i think soward will be more valuable to penrith than widdop to dargons next year. i love widdop but % of stormers who leave melbourne and maintain their form is like 1 out of 10? (inglis, j smith and folau the only ones off the top of my head - but i could name quite a few that become total flops)

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Great signing. Not a bad price either.

Things are looking up in 2014!

IF Dugan signs and gets his s*it together we'll be legitimate contenders IMO.

league

Juniors
Where have the Sheens to the Dragons reports surfaced from??? Haven't read it anywhere, someone with some inside scoop??

I think with the personnel we have recruited and still chasing, it would suit Sheens' coaching style. Chase, Widdop, Thompson, Dugan, all attacking weapons.

mighty v

Juniors
Sheens is a HACK ..Arrogant ,self absorbed and unliked

He will not suit the dragons CULTURE

Screw Sheens ,and if they sign him he will destroy everything that we Doust, Price and been putting in place since Bennet left

CarssDragon

Juniors
Great news! Celebrating with an early beer here. Think the club deserves a pat on the back for this one.

Fingers crossed they get Chase as well - suspect compensation (transfer fee) is all that's holding it up.

Dezziedc

Juniors
We have to remember the players Widdop currently has around him. He has the worlds best players playing alongside him at Melbourne - the best spine in the game. Haven't really seen much of him without that structure.

I think the signing is a great move, however I am not expecting the whole thing to click into place come the first game of 2014.

If we are trying to get Rangi and Josh Dugan into the team and planning on starting them in the next few weeks, then that will go a long way to setting up a good structure for Gareth to step into come the off season.

Hopefully he will bring some of that melbourne knowledge with him...

hermidale1

Juniors
i think soward will be more valuable to penrith than widdop to dargons next year. i love widdop but % of stormers who leave melbourne and maintain their form is like 1 out of 10? (inglis, j smith and folau the only ones off the top of my head - but i could name quite a few that become total flops)

I think this might be a little different. Widdop has been working alongside the best halfback in the game at the moment and would want to show he is as good. Adding to that Rangi Chase is obviously coming, and Widdop, probably likes playing alongside Chase.

BennyV

Referee
Where have the Sheens to the Dragons reports surfaced from??? Haven't read it anywhere, someone with some inside scoop??

I think with the personnel we have recruited and still chasing, it would suit Sheens' coaching style. Chase, Widdop, Thompson, Dugan, all attacking weapons.

Or maybe is Price's coaching style, and due to his cattle there hasn't been much chance on implementing it...

So I guess we say goodbye to the carney rumours for good?

I love the fact that there's been all these rumours about Carney, Williams, Kurtley Beale, etc, but not until today did we hear that Dragons are chasing Widdop...then BOOM, signed!

The old magicians trick...make them look at one hand while the doing things with the other!
Shifty Dragons!!!

Godz Illa

Coach
Just waiting for Mr Red to enter now and pour some cold water on us all ... eg "he's not even the best half at his club!"

hehe

W.Smith

Juniors
Great news! Celebrating with an early beer here. Think the club deserves a pat on the back for this one.

Fingers crossed they get Chase as well - suspect compensation (transfer fee) is all that's holding it up.

+1

Great signing, ive always loved this Kid, congrats to Dousty etc and good riddance to the Carney rumours, now see why Jamie didnt get offered as has been reported

been different getting pumped over some Dragons signings, i actually fist pumped the Widdop signing when i read it, after a cpl lean years of recruitment and i like the signing of Thompson too

wonder if STGI will still sign Rangi to make up the brand new halves combination, the signings would also be an indication that Pricey will likely get a couple more seasons at top job

Latest posts