What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop in Dragons' sights and SIGNED!

getsmarty

Immortal
Stanley's legs are more brittle then the piece of chalk Mrs Marsh used to snap to demonstrate how good colgate toothpaste is..
dont count on him being anything more then a half decent utility player..

Sad but true...as much as the Stanley bros have talent, IMO the club should let them go unless they agree to reduced terms.

Has everyone given up on our up and coming halves, like Style, Drinkwater, Quinlan and Cummins? I think Stanley offers alot, and he is over-due to stay injury free for a while.

Louie, I've definitely given up on Style -- too seriously injured at too important a period of his career development. Wish him well, nothing against him, but Elvis has left the building. Drinkwater has looked reserve grade quality playing reserve grade. So he's good enough for cover only. Quinlan and Cummins have potential, but even if they fulfil it they look like they're a couple of years off to me.

We definitely have to buy TWO halves who are good enough to get us into the top four in 2014. We might have bought one in Chase. Then there are Carney and Widdop on the market and we have to get one of them. As well as Chase. Also. Two halves.

That's before we buy at least one centre and a fullback or two centres.

getsmarty

Immortal
Louie, I've definitely given up on Style -- too seriously injured at too important a period of his career development. Wish him well, nothing against him, but Elvis has left the building. Drinkwater has looked reserve grade quality playing reserve grade. So he's good enough for cover only. Quinlan and Cummins have potential, but even if they fulfil it they look like they're a couple of years off to me.

We definitely have to buy TWO halves who are good enough to get us into the top four in 2014. We might have bought one in Chase. Then there are Carney and Widdop on the market and we have to get one of them. As well as Chase. Also. Two halves.

Well Said...BTW I'd offer Quinlan and Cummins contracts well ahead of the Stanley Bros. We can't keep them all and I think Quinlan and Cummins could be special so on that basis sadly I'd let the Stanley Bros go.

possm

Coach
What the Club did well in the days of Brown was to have juniors ready for an introduction to first grade.

Unfortunately at this time we have a gap in first grade ready juniors and so the need to recruit from outside the club. I really hope there is enough cap left to extend the contracts of Cummins and Quinlan. I'm sure they will increasing get their opportunities as replacements for injuries and rep committed players. They will increasingly put pressure on the Dragons backline players and that is a good thing.

Cagey Mac

Bench
What the Club did well in the days of Brown was to have juniors ready for an introduction to first grade.

Unfortunately at this time we have a gap in first grade ready juniors and so the need to recruit from outside the club. I really hope there is enough cap left to extend the contracts of Cummins and Quinlan. I'm sure they will increasing get their opportunities as replacements for injuries and rep committed players. They will increasingly put pressure on the Dragons backline players and that is a good thing.

That may have something to do with the commencement of the NYC under 20's replacing an under 23's comp
That few years age difference is pivotal
Brown was replaced by Bennett and the end of the NYC's commencement year 2008

Louiethefly

Juniors

Yeah, you are right about having to buy two halves at least If we are aiming for top 4 next year (which we should be doing every year). I will just cross my fingers and hope Stanley comes good though he has it all.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Word on twitter (which doesn't count for much) says that the signing will be for 4 years and will be announced by Dragons soon (possibly today)

tumbidragon

First Grade
From not being able to sign a bar of soap, to quiet possibly signing both English halves! Throw in the AXE JT and things are looking good indeed :) Now where is Dugan going I wonder?

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Dragons sign Widdop in $2m deal

ST GEORGE Illawarra are poised to announce the signing of English international Gareth Widdop on a four-year $2.2 million deal for next season.

Just 24 hours after landing the signature of Canberra Raider Joel Thompson, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Widdop will walk away from premiers Melbourne at the end of the season.

The move is a master stroke from Dragons chief executive Peter Doust, who earlier this week allowed premiership-winning five-eighth Jamie Soward to sign a four-year deal with Penrith without putting up a fight.

Premiers Melbo urne were desperate to retain English international Widdop but the Dragons have blown them out of the water with a deal believed to be worth $550,000-a-season.

The Dragons are expected to make the announcement about Widdop this afternoon.

The Dragons are also in on-going negotiations with sacked Canberra Raiders star Josh Dugan with a view to having him playing in the Red V this season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...iddop-in-2m-deal/story-e6frexpr-1226624329490

tumbidragon

First Grade
Reportedly $550,000-a-season. That's bread for jam for a International, premiership winning 5/8! Cheers Melb. ;)

mickeylane

Bench
Great signing!! Where did that come from!!
Wow!!
Chase/Widdup is a gun combo.
Dugan just waiting green light from NRL..
And this Aubusson rumour will not go away!

I do believe Sheens head coach And Price to be the assistant . Announced after the test match!

Latest posts