What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop is Returning to NRL

possm

Coach
Offering his services for half price. What a terrible decision for both him and us. His legacy to the Dragons was Norman. Tragic
It seems that in the past, many players managed to break their contract with the Dragons in order to better feather their nest. I hope this is a new day now and any player wanting to leave early should arrange to pay out the remaining value of their contract.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
It seems that in the past, many players managed to break their contract with the Dragons in order to better feather their nest. I hope this is a new day now and any player wanting to leave early should arrange to pay out the remaining value of their contract.
Possm you live in hope but it won't happen toilet paper,contracts these days ......

Gardenia

Juniors
If NQ are looking for a 7 or 5/8 then my plan would be:
Let NQ sign Widdop then immediarely trade him for Hunt.
Gets Hunt off our books (who is signed with us for another 2 plus oprion), Wids for 2 years, Norman has 1 more, so then it opens up for Sullivan, Clune and Amone
I like it

Dragons22

Juniors
Dragons need to sort out Widdop returning as soon as possible.
Would be a great boost to the side.
If Griffin is keen on returning Hunt to the halves, Widdop is the only person who can help. Norman and Hunt have not worked and never will work.
Widdop has a few years left in him and he can bring some confidence back to Hunt and that can in the long-term lead to the development of juniors.
Norman is a complete dud and has brought nothing but failure since coming.
Would be a great story if Widdop could return and Norman could leave, or at least never play first grade for the Red V ever again.

possm

Coach
Firstly, if NQ wanted Norman or Hunt they could have approached Saints with an offer. Clearly they do not want either. We are stuck with Norman for one more year and Hunt for possibly 3 more years.

As far as Widdop goes, we have been there done that. He is a spent force and we have had enough of them. Our future is in our young halves and possibly Bird who can help to bridge the gap if necessary.

rasaint

Juniors
Gareth is a world class player and at $300 to $400k ( if true ) just buy him. Even if no deal can be done to offload Cory N with a $600k discount( no net loss). After season 2021 all Cory’s money is freed anyway.

A backline of Hunt, Widdop, Bird, Lomax, Ramsey. Just need some great toilers up front. Top 8 on cards or better.

st shaneoh

Juniors
300k? It’s a no brainer. Widdop is all class despite his kicks close to the line. The guy is a competitor.
Just a suggestion
How about we tell jack he’s only going to be available for half a season thus he will only get half a payment under whatever agreement is in place and we use the other half to sign Gareth Widdop. At 31 at very least he could be an ideal 14. At best we could offload Norman for another club to pay 300k for him

rasaint

Juniors
I will do a Possm here. Sign him now Millard, get it done.

Let him play lock, 5/8, whatever. If $300k to $400k true it is a buy from me.

ALSGI take your point but at one year...two tops at 5/8 and Bird in centres so nice...if both stay healthy. Plus Gareth is a good and on some days very good goal kicker as well as a competitor.2018 we lost Gareth and Tariq just as we were making our major finals run. We win the comp if they both stayed healthy.

Do his kids live back down Wollongong way? Newspaper reports seem to not talk much about his wife.