Widdop seeks release

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by hewi, Nov 28, 2018.

1. True_Believer

True_Believer Juniors

I'd suggest that both would do their best in either position and it has nothing to do with commentators bagging the team.

2. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

possm, the bottom line is they are making fun of us. We are so dumb that we take advice from rivals. I think Widdop will go very well at fullback and Norman with Hunt in the halves may well be the best halves combo in the competition. To swap them would be ridiculous. Widdop sux at 5/8, as we all know and Norman will suck at fullback. Therefore we should expect rivals to promote just that.

IMO it's not a problem rivals don't have our best interests in mind. That's to be expected. The problem is that they feel they can give us 'advice' and it will be taken into consideration. I can't even imagine McKnucklehead giving advice to Melbourne about where to play Munster or Souffs about where to play Inglis for example. If he did, he would be laughed at.

3. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

What has being employed by another club or morals got to do with someone having an opinion, except for the fact it differs with yours. Joey is probably the best in the modern era who would have a far better idea of a players ability than us.

4. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

Serious? You are just trying to get a rise out of me, right?

As for morals, when it comes to @Old Timer, morals must always be taken into consideration.

5. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

By the way DJ..Joey was working with the Roosters halves from 2016 including last year
    Has some idea...more than you obviously re halves.

6. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

If he were to accept a pay cut. . You do realise he has a contract, the club must pay him according to said contract. Wherever he plays ,half, fullback, ISO, janitor.

getsmarty and blacksafake like this.
  7. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

Dont worry OD.......tried to explain all that weeks ago but cant get through the maze!...
    Your wasting your finger time.

8. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

Well that's a good sign. Rorters are worried. He obviously has an excellent idea and he is obviously working for a rival and has such low regard for the intelligence of our staff that he thinks he can give us "advice" and we will take it into consideration. As I said, imagine McFooknuckle, Hornby or Dean Young giving Melbourne "advice" about where to play Munster, Souffs advice on where to play Inglis. Or even if he gave out wayward son over there at Newcastle advice on where to play to Ponga. He's be laughed at. Literally. But rivals can give us advice.....:rolleyes:
    Really? That is a very keen insight. Sometimes I feel I need to go out and buy crayons when dealing with some members on this forum.

He has a contract which can't be changed....... Unless both parties agree for it to be changed. The incentive would be to get a payout on top of his ESL contract or spend the year in the ISP. Very tough but this kind of ruthlessness is precisely what we need.

I don't mind Widdop at fullback at all. I think it's his best position by a long way. But the money he is on to play fullback is fascicle.
    Serious.....:rolleyes:

9. possm

possm Coach

I don't get it, Widdop's salary is already planned for under the cap and Norman's salary is subsidised by the Eels for 2019 giving the Dragons room to fit him under the cap. If we did not sign Norman for this season, it is likely another club would have picked him up if not for this year but for 2020 on - after Widdop moves on.

I'd say that the new coaching adviser has picked up the poor on-field management of the team and so supported the recruitment of Norman. In addition Widdop recently played fullback at the highest level - fullback for England in the recent World Cup. He played well. Nothing is permanent and so if things do not work out according to plan, there are plenty of options available.

nontime111 likes this.
  10. nontime111

nontime111 Juniors

Widdop will kill it at FB

11. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

possm, I'm very optimistic about Widdop at fullback. But evidently fullbacks generally earn significantly less than playmakers. Widdop will be overpaid by some margin.
    yeah but according to several posters here, we should follow the "advice" of rivals and play Norman at fullback or on the bench.

12. nontime111

nontime111 Juniors

nah, Coreys strongest position is in the thick of it at 5/8th, with Hunt the childhood and QLD connection will gel youll see, Widdop will be left without the pressure to organise and will chime in all over the place were going to score a LOT of points with these guns in their right positions...Widdops a great player and natural footballer wholl adapt and rise to the new challenge Im nothing but excited!

jak likes this.
  13. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

The best I have seen Norman play, was when he was wearing the number 7 on his back and playing halfback. I know that the number 6 and 7 can both play as the dominate playmaker. Last year I thought Blake Green played more as a halfback and Johnson more like a 5/8, even though Green was wearing the number 6 and Johnson the number 7.

nontime111 and possm like this.
  14. 41yearsaint

41yearsaint Juniors

Another year of hearing Mary state that our new halves combo need time to gel.

15. possm

possm Coach

Your right! These days it is a right field / left field thing. Either 6 or 7 can be first receiver and / or run the team.

16. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

:thinking:

17. gitano

gitano Juniors

Have poss and FF ever been logged on at the same time?

18. SBD82

SBD82 First Grade

Interesting theory. But I'm waiting to see how Possm spells dominant before I make a call.

19. Crush

Crush First Grade

It could just be a grammatical error. Putting a verb in where an adjective was called for?

20. SBD82

SBD82 First Grade

I'm not sure. I'm no expert.

But if I see "dominate playmaker" in blue text, I'm getting my internet detective hat on.