What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Benji is 30 years old, he will never be as quick or elusive as he was in 2005. He is now much more solid and robust. Anyone remember how many times he got injured between 2005-2009? He has filled out now and is a different type of player.

I think he just needs to conserve his energy and pick and choose his moments carefully when to inject himself into the game. Less is more. At the moment, he is running around like goose, going for the winning play on every tackle. You'd think that at 30 years of age, he would have figured it out by now. Just makes you realise how great players like Lockyer or Johns were.

St Georgio

Juniors
Mary should go back in time and study Scott Prince and Benji and I am sure Widdop's game will flourish.

Saints Premiers 2015

TheRev

First Grade
Well his past coaches were Price and Furner...wouldn't file him under 'unfixable' just yet!

My only hope is that they can teach Duges to master the short pass from centre (prefer it to be left centre, as Aitken is surely our longterm Right centre), but even if hes still fullback.. a couple of variations to suit the situation, and train it 1000x over... until his strike-rate is a bit better.

I still want him holding the ball & backing himself though (particularly in first 3 tackles of a set).

BennyV

Referee
My only hope is that they can teach Duges to master the short pass from centre (prefer it to be left centre, as Aitken is surely our longterm Right centre), but even if hes still fullback.. a couple of variations to suit the situation, and train it 1000x over... until his strike-rate is a bit better.

I still want him holding the ball & backing himself though (particularly in first 3 tackles of a set).

I still just think his core skills are too good as a fullback to ignore - elusiveness, breaking tackles, positional play are all exceptional. Agree that he should get some passing training of some sort, but I dont think it needs to be a robotic movement practiced 1000 times - should be developing a natural pass that he can instinctively use at appropriate times. Its something that Slater and Stewart were both taught through their careers, so its not impossible, just needs the right person to teach it.

UntIl then, maybe you're not far off just taking the tackle on play 1-3.