What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wii Fit

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Hey!

wii-fit-hula-hoop.jpg

Has anyone ever in the history of the world ever actually lost weight/got fit with Wii Fit?

Don't get me wrong, i love the balance games, and the lunges and squats are good - but i use it mostly to keep track of my goals and progress, rather then relying on it to shift the weight.

Is there any tips/suggestions for how to get the most out of it?

Thomas

First Grade
Using wii fit will get you about as fit as walking moderately fast around the block.

Use it to have fun or incorporate it into your exercise plan on a rainy cold day but I wouldn't rely on it.

Sir Biffo

Bench
It's pretty sh*t, I would put it on par with using one of those Ab King Pro Cardio Monster 2000 Deluxe Core Editons

roopy

Referee
I haven't used it, but i think it would be fair to say it's 'first generation' of a concept we will see develop into some amazing technology for fitness in time - but it's at the 'pong' level of fitness games right now.

JessEel

haha - i suspected so. I usually do their moves, and then while the lady's talking to me about all the hard work i just did, i do extra squats and lunges

Hallatia

Referee
I find some of it to be really useful, I think Wiifit stuff are really good for your off days more than actually training you and like you said good for keeping track of your progress.

Wii sports boxing, now that's a real workout, especially after you turn pro

JessEel

I suck so bad at this game though - and it's really violent when a boot hits you in the head!

59831520080402_230312_13_big.jpg

skeepe

Immortal
I've dropped about 8kg in 2 months on Wii Fit. Obviously not that alone, but with my busy lifestyle I rarely find the time to go for a walk or do anything more strenuous, so Wii Fit is where I get most of my exercise at the moment.

Combined with a gradual change to a much healthier diet, it can actually be pretty good.

It'll never be a replacement for the gym, and I doubt it'd give much of a workout to anyone who exercises with a reasonable intensity every day, but for those who don't have too much time on their hands to do any serious exercise, or for those who currently don't do any exercise at all, it can be a very useful tool.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
My girlfriend and I use Wii Fit as a fun way to mix things up in our cross training. Some of the games are obviously doing some good, but it's not a way to get fit on your own unless you're morbidly obese: in which case wading around in the pool or walking to the shops instead of bussing it will also do a world of good.

EA Active has a good workout, though. Resistance bands make it something resembling a real workout.

JessEel

i tried to use my hands weights while i used Wii Fit - but it kept panicking that i'd gained a heap of weight really quickly!

Last night i had a 900g loss from the previous night, and a 300g loss after the end of my session. wooooooooooo!!

NGR

Juniors
If you want to lose weight using the nintendo wii and have a wii fit balance board i suggest you pick up Don King Boxing or the latest boxing games...

and if you are super keen on using the wii to lose weight, get an ab cruncher.. in between rounds do sit ups until the next round is ready to start...

Sir Biffo

Bench
If you want to lose weight using a nintendo wii, take the box it came in and take it to the kitchen, put in all the sh*t you have in the pantry and throw it in the bin.

Otherwise it's no different to doing 1/2 an hour of LOW intensity excercise every day.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I've lost 12 kilos (down from 80 to 68) since I got Wii Fit and started weighing myself daily. I wouldn't attribute any of it to the exercises in the game itself but being aware of my weight and how it changes and tracking my progress.

Great exercise companion IMO but not going to magically drop the kilos for you if you don't support it with appropriate diet and exercise.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ibought one for my daughter (she asked) gottheweights too. I think she uses it but I don't know as I am not at home as often as her

Last edited:

TooheysNew

Coach
I've lost 12 kilos (down from 80 to 68) since I got Wii Fit and started weighing myself daily. I wouldn't attribute any of it to the exercises in the game itself but being aware of my weight and how it changes and tracking my progress.

Great exercise companion IMO but not going to magically drop the kilos for you if you don't support it with appropriate diet and exercise.
Are you three feet tall?