What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiki Still a chance?

This is gonna sound weird, but even if he can only play 5 minutes, it'd be worth it.

Imagine how fired up everyone else would be to know that Ruben -- who by all rights shouldn't be playing considering any normal player would be out for at least a month -- would be giving it his all under difficult circumstances?

Inspirational stuff.

I think that would do wonders for the enthusiasm and motivation (even though it should be there anyway), if nothing else.

MILLWALL

Juniors
I reckon he will play and smash the crap out of fitler and play a full game cause i reckon the bloke wont feel pain

GreenGuy

Doesn't look good for Rubes, he went for a ru yesterday and was hobbling a bit. He was seen shaking his head at some point during the run. Maybe it's a stunt!

peter_raiders

Juniors
So if Ruben does play who do you all expect to be dropped for him? Hodgo could be a late withdrawal due to the concussion from last week i would assume.

Raider Azz

Bench
In the Canberra Times today it said yesterday Ruben tried a 5 minute sprint with his ankle heavily taped and after he was done he could not walk on it. So don't get your hopes up guys. I don't think he will play.

GreenGuy

It looks doubtful...

Wiki a slight hope
September 11, 2004

CANBERRA forward Ruben Wiki hasn't given up hope of miraculously playing in tomorrow's qualifying final against the Sydney Roosters - and he's slowly making a believer of coach Matthew Elliott.

Wiki, who suffered an ankle injury against South Sydney last weekend, was initially expected to miss a minimum of three weeks.

However, his improvement has been rapid and Wiki attempted to run yesterday at Canberra's training headquarters for the first time after suffering the injury.

The New Zealand international wasn't able to stretch out - Elliott quipped he could have beaten Wiki - but for the first time the Canberra coach conceded the second-rower could play at Aussie Stadium.

"There's a slight hope," Elliott said. "I admire him for having a shot. But you never know. Who knows what happens overnight with a bit of kava and ice?

"I wouldn't rule him out completely."

Wiki, who will join the New Zealand Warriors next season, has had intensive physiotherapy on the ankle and received a cortisone injection yesterday morning.

"We'll see what happens," Wiki said. "I have a couple of days to go. We'll see how it goes."

Asked whether he was still keen to play, Wiki replied: "Who wouldn't be?

"It's coming on OK."

Elliott is expected to give Wiki until as late

as possible to prove his fitness, with the Raiders already minus suspended captain Simon Woolford. "It would be a nice dream," Elliott said.

"We had him in and he had a hobble. I could beat him today.

"It's not a matter of getting well. It's a matter of being able to control [the injury]. Even Ruben was shaking his head after the run today."

Meanwhile, the NRL has effectively ruled out transferring a game to Suncorp Stadium should Brisbane and North Queensland be drawn to play in the second week of the finals.

The Cowboys and Broncos would meet at Aussie Stadium on Saturday week if North Queensland produced a stunning upset over the Bulldogs and the Broncos lost to Melbourne.

The Daily Telegraph

But remember who we are talking about here- RUBEN WIKI. Just making an appearnace at training would have given the rest of the team a big boost...

lotm

Juniors
i've always had severe doubts about it, but his inability to complete 5 minutes of straight running pain-free has me even less confident.

no expectations, no disappointments.

My dad spoke to Wiki as they were about to leave for Sydney earlier tonight, and Ruben said he will be playing tomorrow.
All the best to you guys for tomorrow!

edabomb

First Grade
kris_man said:
hopefully that cat Thompson will be relegated for Ruben.

Hopefully Ruben is told theres no spot in first grade for him because Thommo owns his :lol: :lol:

Latest posts