What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiki will leave, Monaghan a Raider or Rooster?

greeneyed

First Grade
On WIN TV news tonight, Wiki essentially confirmed he would be leaving the Raiders at the year's end. He said he had achieved all his hopes and dreams here and now was looking to a new challenge.

Monaghan indicated it is now a choice between the Raiders and the Roosters for his next contract. He said his mind was "changing every day". He said he had thought he would never leave Canberra, and he was "still holding onto the hope" that he would stay at the Raiders. A decision will be made no later than the end of the week. Looks like Manly is out of the running entirely.

raider_at_heart

Juniors
Hmm thats interesting. Hopefully now that Roberts has signed with the Roosters they will ease off on Monas.

"still holding on the hope of staying"

If he is then why doesnt he re- sign already?
The decision is yours Joel.

Raider Azz

Bench
Some Manly fans were saying Joel had basically signed a contract with Manly... but there you go, straight from his mouth.

With the Roosters now signing Amos Roberts, I am getting more and more confident we will retain him.

Raider Azz

Bench
I still like to always keep my hopes up.

Probably not a good thing, as I may be setting myself up to fall :lol: :cry:

greeneyed

First Grade
And what is wrong with you guys? This is MASSIVE MASSIVE news.... I was freaked by it........

Paullyboy

Coach
Well its been coming for a long time now, I just truely hope Wiki doesnt play for another NRL club as I wouldnt be able to watch him play against us, id have be as far away from it as I could possibly be

thickos

First Grade
greeneyed said:
On WIN TV news tonight, Wiki essentially confirmed he would be leaving the Raiders at the year's end. He said he had achieved all his hopes and dreams here and now was looking to a new challenge.

Monaghan indicated it is now a choice between the Raiders and the Roosters for his next contract. He said his mind was "changing every day". He said he had thought he would never leave Canberra, and he was "still holding onto the hope" that he would stay at the Raiders. A decision will be made no later than the end of the week. Looks like Manly is out of the running entirely.

:shock: :cry:

This is terrible terrible news - I'm with you greeneyed, I did not enjoy reading this at all. Why is your mind changing Joel? The choice is yours buddy - repay the faith your junior club has put in you or walk for the $$$.

As for Ruben, he goes with my blessings. There has never been a bigger inspiration than the Muss. It will be sad to see him play his last game for us but he has given us so much, the debt is strongly on our side of the ledger. He has been loyal for a long time (are you reading this Joel) and has had a glittering career. All the best.

raidersman

Juniors
"BIG Challenge" PFFFFFFFFFFFFT! Ruben...BIG CHALLENGE to get more $$$$$$$!!!!!! Wheres your f**king raiders spirit! Shame on u mate :evil:

skeepe

Immortal
In the SMH today it says that Manly have given Monaghan a deadline of today to sign a contract so they can increase their offer to Tahu if he declines. Interesting. Jim Banaghan says a decision won't be forthcoming until Thursday or Friday, so I guess that rules out Manly completely?

jed

First Grade
from the Sydney Boring Herald http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/06/1089000158499.html?oneclick=true

Manly want Monaghan's decision before Tahu gets away
By Brad Walter
July 7, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Canberra centre Joel Monaghan has been given until today to accept an offer from Manly amid fears within the Sea Eagles camp that Newcastle's Timana Tahu is headed to Parramatta for a massive deal worth up to $400,000 a season.

Manly officials spoke with the managers of both players yesterday but are understood to have made a formal offer only to Monaghan, although further talks are scheduled for today with Tahu's agent, Daryl Mather.

Having last night missed out on South Sydney halfback Joe Williams, who is expected to remain at Redfern next season, the Sea Eagles have not ruled out the possibility of signing Monaghan and Tahu - but that seems to be a remote possibility.

Tahu, Mather and the Test winger's fiancee, Kasey, yesterday met Knights football manager Mark Sargent and agreed to wait until coach Michael Hagan returns from the Queensland Origin camp tomorrow before making any decision on his future.

But Sargent was unable to make any improvement on Newcastle's latest offer, believed to be about $220,000 per season, and there seems little prospect of the club retaining the 23-year-old father of three beyond this season.

Should Monaghan, who is also considering offers from the Eels, Roosters and Raiders, fail to come to terms with Manly today, the Sea Eagles may then go all out to sign Tahu by increasing their offer.

"Joel has received an offer from Manly that he is currently considering," said Monaghan's agent, Jim Banaghan. "We are also talking to Parramatta and the Roosters and, of course, Canberra, with a view to making a decision on Thursday or Friday. But one of those clubs has become very eager for a decision and have expressed that to us."

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said last night the club had asked for an answer by today.

Meanwhile, the Eels are also understood to be keen on North Queensland back-rower Glenn Morrison, who told the Cowboys last week that he would be playing elsewhere next season.

Wests Tigers are also interested in Morrison but Bradford are favourite to sign him.

In other contract news, North Queensland yesterday announced the signing of Bulldogs five-eighth Johnathan Thurston on a three-year deal believed to be worth more than $750,000.

Bulldogs skipper Steve Price is expected to make a decision on his future after tonight's Origin match, with the Warriors firming as favourites for his signature.

Price's wife, Jo, yesterday returned from a four-day trip to Auckland, during which she reportedly inspected blocks of land near the beach at Kumeu, north-west of the city.

The Warriors seem less likely to snare Kiwis Test captain Ruben Wiki, however, with Wigan and St Helens strongly linked with the 31-year-old Canberra second-rower.

Knights hooker Michael Ennis will tomorrow decide between offers from St George Illawarra and Brisbane.

The Raiders are believed to be interested in Penrith centre Paul Whatuira, while the Cowboys have held talks with Broncos forward Carl Webb.

And goalkicking Wests Tigers winger Luke Covell is set to sign with Cronulla, who are yet to make offers to veteran fullback David Peachey, former Queensland Origin prop Chris Beattie or suspended five-eighth Greg Bird.

thickos

First Grade
from nrl.com

Eels hot favourites to get Tahu

6 July 2004

Parramatta emerged as a raging hot favourite to snare the prized signature of Test winger Timana Tahu tonight after weighing in with a massive offer believed to be worth $400,000 a season.

Tahu, his wife Kasey and his manager Darryl Mather met with Newcastle officials today but it appears the Knights face an uphill battle to retain the 23-year-old.

The Knights are understood to be offering $220,000 a season to Tahu, who will make a final decision when coach Michael Hagan returns from Queensland Origin duties.

Tahu is seeking a four-year deal, stretching his potential earnings to a remarkable $1.6 million over that period.

Manly is the other club in the frame but its football manager Peter Peters said tonight the Sea Eagles could not match the Eels' offer, despite having money to spend after privatising earlier this year.

"I think the dogs are barking that he's going to go to Parramatta," said Peters.

"We're still interested but from what we're hearing it looks like we've been blown out of the water."

Tahu's decision will impact heavily upon off contract Canberra centre Joel Monaghan, who is expected to sign with the Sea Eagles if they miss out on Tahu.

"Until the player signs I'm not confident," said Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald tonight.

Parramatta recently signed St George Illawarra hooker Mark Riddell to a three-deal worth up to $1 million and will have further money freed up if they release half Adam Dykes, who's tipped to return to Cronulla.

Centre Jamie Lyon, currently playing for the Wee Waa Panthers, would take away $250,000 from the $3.25 million salary cap if he chooses to return to Parramatta next year to see out his contract.

Lyon has been rumoured to be heading towards Manly but would need a clearance from the Eels to play for another NRL club.

"Timana and his manager and Kasey met with (Knights football manager) Mark Sargent today," a Newcastle spokesman said.

"They had a good discussion about all the options available to him.

"We reiterated our offer to him, which is the very best we can manage and he has given us an undertaking that he will make a decision most probably Friday which gives him the option to speak to Michael Hagan."

The Knights are also set to lose back-up hooker Michael Ennis to Brisbane.

Meanwhile, speculation continues to mount that Bulldogs skipper Steve Price will cross the ditch and accept a lucrative offer with the NZ Warriors next season.

Price will hold further talks with his manager George Mimis on Thursday and is expected to make his decision the following day.

The Bulldogs have lost 21-year-old five-eighth Johnathan Thurston, who agreed to a three-deal with North Queensland today.

Raider_69

Post Whore
raidersman said:
"BIG Challenge" PFFFFFFFFFFFFT! Ruben...BIG CHALLENGE to get more $$$$$$$!!!!!! Wheres your f***ing raiders spirit! Shame on u mate :evil:

give yourself up you merkin!!! :evil: :evil:
Wiki has been a great club man, he owes us nothing!
Im sad that he is leaving but i understand he hasnt long left in the game and needs to get some cash to set him and his family up. I hope where ever he goes he collects an absolute bundle, he is worth every cent

:cry: :cry: :cry: sorry to see ya go Muss but you'll always be remembered as on of the raiders greatest, please dont sign with another NRL club... ill be gutted :cry:

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
Ruben Wiki owes nothing to the Canberra Raiders and should receive nothing but thank you's and good luck's when/if he departs Bruce for the final time.

Raider_69

Post Whore
exactly
if anything, we owe him!
he has been one of our best and stuck with us through out his career, now he needs some cash to set his family up
Good Luck to him and i hope once he retires he can once again be involved with the raiders in an off-feild role

Your a champion Rubes! :clap: :clap:

SOULS 04

Juniors
mate wiki is a champ... tradgedy to see him go so i really hope he doesnt

but yeh it looks that way.. all the best champ
:(

Langers

Juniors
Us Manly fans still haven't given up hope of getting Monaghan. I guess we will know by the end of today whether he has decided to go to Manly or not. I just hope that if he does turn us down he stays with you guys, he is a Canberra product after all.

mike83au

Juniors
I know it might be a bit premature, but if Muss does leave, I hope he gets the same send off at Canberra Stadium that Daley, Mullins and Furner got. Fill the place out to show our appreciation and support.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i agree, our last home game against the rabbitohs would be a great send off

still remember daleys send off, an absolute drubbing of the roosters... no better way to go
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts