What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Des's $10000 fine cover the cost of the two touchies visit to OPSM?

skeepe

Immortal
Manly's first try was from an obstruction. Tough luck Des.

Your comprehension skills appear to be lacking. It can only be an obstruction if someone is obstructed. Pretty simple concept to grasp I would have thought.

mickdo

Coach
Your comprehension skills appear to be lacking. It can only be an obstruction if someone is obstructed. Pretty simple concept to grasp I would have thought.

Er, no. Watch the Storm v Knights game, 29th minute.

Eaglebuzz

Juniors
A stupid call by a ref doesn't make it the rule, it makes the ref stupid. Incidentally the very problem that this thread was started over.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Manly didnt have the kahunas to stand stewart down until it got resolved .. it has taken karma to rub him out of the game ... Filthy merkins deserve every bad decision they get.

Garts

Bench
Er, no. Watch the Storm v Knights game, 29th minute.

And it was probably a wrong call. In Manly's try no one was obstructed and denied a chance to make a tackle. But yes the refs sure are inconsistant. Based on last weeks effort by Rose we should have seen Poore in the sin bin for the exact same offence committed by Rose. But I am glad we did not see that happen.

Time for the video ref to come into play with that...never been more obvious....surely he could have said to the refs..errr..boys shes forward by milessssss....then the corret decision would have been reached and this topic wouldnt have legs...Incidently..melb strung together 3 forward in a row vs newcastle near their line and the touchie wasnt to be seen....how about one stay in line..one goes down field..seems simple enough

mickdo

Coach
And it was probably a wrong call. In Manly's try no one was obstructed and denied a chance to make a tackle. But yes the refs sure are inconsistant. Based on last weeks effort by Rose we should have seen Poore in the sin bin for the exact same offence committed by Rose. But I am glad we did not see that happen.

If you send decoys through the line you have to pass behind them, not run behind them

Eaglebuzz

Juniors
When he ran across the decoy runner was long gone, there was no way that any potential tackler was impeded.

Garts

Bench
No one was impeded, common sense should prevail in these situations and it thankfully it did in this case. However there will be other cases where it will not.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
The real problem here is that Des is blaming the touchies.

Why?

I was at the game and the touchies were constantly back the 10 metres with the defensive line. Again, if we have two refs and one is marking the 10 then why are the touchies doing ti?

So the touchies might not have been in a position that was in line with the pass, meanwhile the two refs are probably waiting for one of the touchies to call it. With all them waiting for someone else to do the job none of them are sure, so no-one does it.

The problem seems to be that no-one actually knows who's job it is to call these things, including the refs on field. They've brought in two refs but done it so haphazardly that everyone is confused. It's just like the video ref - how long did it take them to get some semblance of common sense to the way they use it.

Quite simply, and everone in Rugby League knows this - Finch and his administrators aren't up to the job.

TheDalek079

Bench
manly wins grand finals due to poor referreing, but they cry when they lose a regular season match due to a dubious call. harden up!

manly wins grand finals due to poor referreing, but they cry when they lose a regular season match due to a dubious call. harden up!

Manly won the 2008 grand final. The penalty count was lower than average and as close to even as you can get. But dont let me stop you from carrying on like a pork chop.

GB!

Juniors
i can't see why with all the technology available in the game today why the vid ref can't rule on a forward pass?

all they need are lines running parralell to the lines on the field.
if the ball travels forward from the point it was released, then its obviously a forward pass. whether it floated forward after being passed backward is just bad luck.

a forward pass is a forward pass!

Eaglebuzz

Juniors
Long gone? He ran right behind him!

The decoy went straight through the eel's line and never looked like impeding anybody... Matai ran across and past the defenders who would have even possibly been obstructed before he passed it. If you want to blame any aspect of the play for that try, look no further than the shocking read by Tahu.

fowlster

Juniors
Yes it was forward, and probably should've been called.......

I stopped reading your post after this.

:lol:

After last year, I am qualified, as an Easts man, to say you need to play 80 minutes to win football games. The Sea Bears, er, the Sea Eagles haven't done this for the first 2 rounds.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The decoy went straight through the eel's line and never looked like impeding anybody... Matai ran across and past the defenders who would have even possibly been obstructed before he passed it. If you want to blame any aspect of the play for that try, look no further than the shocking read by Tahu.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/refs-got-it-wrong-says-refs-boss-finch-20100322-qq7u.html

Refs got it wrong, says refs' boss Finch
DAVID BENIUK
March 22, 2010 - 2:19PM

AAP

NRL referees' boss Robert Finch has conceded his officials made two errors, costing Manly and Parramatta points in Sunday's match at Parramatta Stadium.

Finch says the referees erred in awarding Manly's first try and an obstruction penalty should have been awarded to the Eels.

The Colonel

Immortal
No one was impeded, common sense should prevail in these situations and it thankfully it did in this case. However there will be other cases where it will not.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0322-qq7u.html

Refs got it wrong, says refs' boss Finch

DAVID BENIUK
March 22, 2010 - 2:19PM

NRL referees' boss Robert Finch has conceded his officials made two errors, costing Manly and Parramatta points in Sunday's match at Parramatta Stadium.

Finch says the referees erred in awarding Manly's first try and an obstruction penalty should have been awarded to the Eels.

He also says the final pass for centre Joel Reddy's crucial try for Parramatta was forward.

Sea Eagles' coach Des Hasler blasted the match officials after his side's 24-20 loss.

"I'm pretty disappointed with the team's performance yesterday afternoon," Finch told reporters on Monday.

"There were two incidents in this game which led to points - the first being the first try that Manly scored which was clearly a breach of the key indicators.

"An obstruction should have been awarded against the Manly side and a penalty to the Eels."

"And the (Joel Reddy) try that the Eels scored ... the last part was clearly forward."

Finch said a decision on whether touch judge Gavin Reynolds would be dropped for round three would be made on Tuesday.

© 2010 AAP