What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will EL masri beat Johns points scoring record?

Mr Saab

Referee
If the Dogs are serious about being competitive again then they need to say bye bye to El Masri.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You're right Saab... I just feel he's been consistent and long-serving enough to at least get this record before he farewells our club :oops:

Timmah

Staff member
If he could not kick goals he probably would have been dropped a while back.

Not so IMO... he's great defensively (provided he doesn't go too far in-field on an overlap) and manages to find himself in good positions when kicks go through, problem is that Holdsworth has no confidence sending it along the ground lately. His biggest issue is pace and height and they are backline musts in this era. I don't expect him to be a Bulldog beyond 2008.

Garts

Bench
Not so IMO... he's great defensively (provided he doesn't go too far in-field on an overlap) and manages to find himself in good positions when kicks go through, problem is that Holdsworth has no confidence sending it along the ground lately. His biggest issue is pace and height and they are backline musts in this era. I don't expect him to be a Bulldog beyond 2008.

He is a solid player and can definately get the job done but if he could not kick goals I think the dogs would have looked for a bigger player with some pace a few years back.

Timmah

Staff member
That I probably would agree with save for the fact that Folkes is well known for playing favourites. He's been a great coach but since 2005 he's been stagnant and resistant to wholesale change and as a result we're stuck with the same sh*te week-in week-out. Groom not getting a go in FG the other night with Roberts out was a prime example. All the pressure was heaped on Holdsworth and he looked lost and crap.

Garts

Bench
How has Groom been going in PL? I want to see him in 1sts, part of me wants him to go well while part of me wants to see him fail, not nice I know.

Dogaholic

First Grade
How has Groom been going in PL? I want to see him in 1sts, part of me wants him to go well while part of me wants to see him fail, not nice I know.

I have not seen him play but I don't think he has been going all that well.

Timmah

Staff member
We're coming 3rd last with 2 wins from 8 games.

I.e. Sh*te. He's been out for a number of weeks but I don't think we've won since he's returned either.

perverse

Referee
i'll be very surprised if el masri doesn't hit the record... although if this is to be his last year with the dogs then it could be a photo finish.

perverse

Referee
after doing some quick and dodgy maths... assuming the dogs don't make the finals this year and that el masri needs 100 points to hit the record... then he still only needs to score around 3 goals a match to hit the record. he should get there.

that's not even taking the odd try into account.

Timmah

Staff member
The problem at the moment is he's been carrying a hamstring injury since the pre-season.

perverse

Referee
as a knights fan i'd love for joey to keep the record a bit longer.. he's the clubs (and arguably the sports) most celebrated player, and it is quite fitting that he holds this record.

however as a fan of rugby league, i think el masri thoroughly deserves to hold the record. it has been his specialty for a fair while now and he's been a f**king sniper with that boot for a long time. joey has plenty of records and honors, and im sure this would mean a lot more to hazem than it does to joey.

Apey

Staff member
as a knights fan i'd love for joey to keep the record a bit longer.. he's the clubs (and arguably the sports) most celebrated player, and it is quite fitting that he holds this record.

however as a fan of rugby league, i think el masri thoroughly deserves to hold the record. it has been his specialty for a fair while now and he's been a f**king sniper with that boot for a long time. joey has plenty of records and honors, and im sure this would mean a lot more to hazem than it does to joey.

yep pretty much I was thinking.

I'd feel sorry for him if he didn't get it.

Dogaholic

First Grade
I feel sorry for the team I support as we are.
Would have been nice if Hazem got the record.
But I would prefer we had some better wingers.
In saying that, when fit he will be first choice for Folkes.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Be a nice record to be broken in the Centenary Year. For me, I hope they let him stay in FG long enough to break it, then they can drop him for one of the younger guys, especially if our season keeps going the way it is, there is no more perfect time to start blooding the young guys.

*Paul*

Juniors
Behind Hazem on the active players list (to RD 8)

Fitzgibbon 1418
Orford 1242
Rogers 1198
Hodgson 1195
Lockyer 1138
Burt 1005

So if El Masri doesn't do it, it will be safe for a while I think.

Hanscholo

Bench
I hope Hasim gets it tbh. I think Andrew would be the first to admit he probably doesnt deserve to be the record holder on balance. He wasnt a great goal kicker at all.

Regardless, I personally think that it is a weak record that is bound to be broken soon if not smashed one day by a top class goal kicker playing in a top class side and he also scores a lot of tries. The current target is soft imo.

Latest posts