What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will EL masri beat Johns points scoring record?

sooperdooper

First Grade
I hope Hasim gets it tbh. I think Andrew would be the first to admit he probably doesnt deserve to be the record holder on balance. He wasnt a great goal kicker at all.

Regardless, I personally think that it is a weak record that is bound to be broken soon if not smashed one day by a top class goal kicker playing in a top class side and he also scores a lot of tries. The current target is soft imo.

johns was not a top class goal kicker? he was a very very good kicker...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It wasn't his specialty and he'd be the first to admit that. And he's nowhere near in the same league as Hazem.

perverse

Referee
for the first 5 or so years of johns' career, his kicking was average at best. towards the second half of his career though he really dragged that average up. i think he was probably a 70 - 74% kicker in his early years, and probably closer to 80 in his later years (im pulling these figures out of my arse, but i'd put a large sum of money on there being a large and statistically provable difference).

make no mistake though, he rarely missed from the sideline once he had knuckled down with his kicking. especially the pressure kicks. i would consider him a below average kicker for the first half of his career, and top class for the 2nd half.

Timmah

Staff member
Didn't Johns seek GK training sometime during his career from the great D Halligan? :crazy:

perverse

Referee
Didn't Johns seek GK training sometime during his career from the great D Halligan? :crazy:
yep, that's about when he started improving.

would have been around 2000 - 2001 off the top of my head. what relevance does that hold anyway?

Timmah

Staff member
None necessarily, it's not a slight on him at all. Worth noting though... it's not as if his kicking magically improved with no coaching...

Hass

Juniors
El Masri was absolutely hopeless when he first took over from Halligan. He was close to the worst goal-kicker in the comp. Within a year he'd improved to be really good from the left but poor on the right and then a little bit after that he morphed into the kicking machine we know him as today.

So Hazem and Joey have a bit in common as players who improved their goal-kicking significantly half way through their careers.

Cheers.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Hazem is no longer a kicking machine. There are better goal kickers in the league these days.

Timmah

Staff member
El Masri was absolutely hopeless when he first took over from Halligan. He was close to the worst goal-kicker in the comp. Within a year he'd improved to be really good from the left but poor on the right and then a little bit after that he morphed into the kicking machine we know him as today.

So Hazem and Joey have a bit in common as players who improved their goal-kicking significantly half way through their careers.

Cheers.

Difference being Johns was generally the primary kicker for Newcastle as soon as his first grade spot became permanent. Hazem played at least four seasons in the top grade before he became the primary kicker.

Latest posts