What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Ipswich & Newtown be heading to court ?

Smiley

Bench
Exactly the same as redcliffe did.

Newcastle jets do not play RL, get it ?

Bradford Bulls had to negotiate with the Chicago Bulls to use the name.

Same goes for the Brisbane Lions they brought the name from the Brisbane Lions sc.

Maybe the Ipswich Jets should buy the name, Newtown could sure use the money.

duck_dodgers

Juniors
Bradford Bulls had to negotiate with the Chicago Bulls to use the name.

Same goes for the Brisbane Lions they brought the name from the Brisbane Lions sc.

Maybe the Ipswich Jets should buy the name, Newtown could sure use the money.

and they can sling some cash to the New York Jets

and the Newcastle Jets

JetsLogo.jpg

too .

BDGS

Bench
Newtown Jets have history in the NSWRL not the NRL.

The Redcliffe/GC is totally different for one the GC was a brand new entity where as Ipswich has 25 years of club history under the 'Jets' name.

See that is where you are wrong. The Newtown Jets played in the NSWRL that has now become the premier Rugby League competition in this country and some consider it to be the world's best. Just because the name has changed from "NSWRL" to "NRL" doesn't mean Sqat. Ipswich want to join a competition that Newtown have already been previously part of.

That is why NSWRL premierships count towards NRL teams premierships and no other competition does.

The Ipswich bid will have to become an new entity as well or continue what they are doing and creating identity crisis' for themselves.

Either way it is a moot point as the Ipswich NRL bid will not be accepted into the NRL.

BDGS

Bench
Yes they have been around 103 years but What right do they have to tell Ipswich they need to change their name.

Do Newtown have any trademark on the name Jets?

If so then Ipswich shouldn't have been allowed to select the name 25 years ago when they begun playing in the BRL.

Same goes for the Newcastle Jets.

The NRL is entirely different from the NRL though. The NRL has been born out of the success of the NSWRL, Old NSWRL records are still keep today. Therefore the NRL is the OLD NSWRL, with a name change to show that it is now bigger then just NSW. The Newtown Jets have already played in this competition and have to right to stop anybody else who wants to or plays in this competition using the name they already have used.

The Newtown Jets have never competed in the BRL, therefore teams in that competition can do whatever they want to. If the Newtown Jets had a BRL bid with the name 'Jets' and the Ipswich Jets no longer existed then Newtown would have no right to use a brand that is already established in that competition.

BDGS

Bench
Bluebag? Worst name in any sport... ever! Close second is the Rabbitohs.

If you want to get really picky, then the 'Bulldogs' suck too, what is scary about an overweight ugly white dog?

Another stupid post from you adding to your reputation.

dgsfan

Juniors
Raggin on your won team, now. Great fan you are. Whats scary about a Rabbit? Are you scared of Storms? Do you find Cowboys scary? Or even Roosters? Classic post, mate. Cheers for the laugh.

BDGS

Bench
Raggin on your won team, now. Great fan you are. Whats scary about a Rabbit? Are you scared of Storms? Do you find Cowboys scary? Or even Roosters? Classic post, mate. Cheers for the laugh.

excuse me?

I wasn't 'raggin' on my own team, whatever that means. I was just pointing out your logic. If bluebags are worse ever and Rabbitohs are 2nd worse, where does that leave a white fat dog? or a titan or a rooster?

They are just names that get the kids going, no need to insult certain teams especially when your team does not hold up to the same level.

I for one love the name 'Bulldogs' but as far as sports team go, it is not one of the best.

dgsfan

Juniors
Considering both major football codes in Australia have a moniker of Bulldogs, it mustn't be too bad. Also it's one of the most used in America. Mate, seriously, do a bit of research before you spout crap...

RockWheel

Bench
Rabbitohs is great - it's entirely unique and instantly makes one think of the football team. Bulldogs is a good nickname as well.

BDGS

Bench
Considering both major football codes in Australia have a moniker of Bulldogs, it mustn't be too bad. Also it's one of the most used in America. Mate, seriously, do a bit of research before you spout crap...

ohhh so popularity now makes things good does it?

Man, i gotta go out and buy some cigarettes, drugs and alcohol. They are sold in every country so it "mustn't be too bad" as you put it. grow up.

You claim the Rabbitohs were the second worse name for a sports team ever, yet they are the most famous Rugby League club world wide, only St. George Illawarra comes close to them.

You do your research.

dgsfan

Juniors
St George, maybe. St Merge, unlikely.

Where talking about nicknames here, mate, not addictive substances. FMD that's your best one yet!

BDGS

Bench
St George, maybe. St Merge, unlikely.

Where talking about nicknames here, mate, not addictive substances. FMD that's your best one yet!

St George Illawarra have taken over the from St. George and are nearly as famous as the Rabbitohs. If they weren't then St. George would be nothing but a memory. Stupid comment.

Second, maybe we aren't talking about addictive substances but your you saying the Rabbitohs name is not a good name for a sporting team is very ignorant and it wouldn't surprise me if the only reason you said that is because their old logo is now my avatar, yes you are that petty.

Oh and finally, i'm not your mate.

dgsfan

Juniors
Haha. Good one, mate. Nicknames are subjective. Don't take it so much to heart.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Newtown changed their nickname to the Jets in 1973 - presumably because it had more professional kick than the Bluebags.

As a side note, in the same decade, Canterbury decided that 'Bulldogs' sounded more badass than 'Berries'. To think, it took them over 40 years to work that out.

dgsfan

Juniors
And in 1998 St George changed their name to St George Illawarra because they thought they would get more fans. 12 years later they're still averaging less than bottom of the table Sydney teams.

Latest posts