What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Ipswich & Newtown be heading to court ?

adamkungl

Immortal
You don't get it do you.....Ipswich have been Jets for 25 years BUT NOT AT THE TOP LEVEL OF THE GAME! They were Jets at a Brisbane RL level at first followed by Qld Cup level in more recent times. They can remain Jets at a Qld Cup level, good luck to them, no problems there. If they make the step up to NRL level they should change names. Jets have competed at the top level, they were called Newtown! Its all about protecting the history and traditions of the game.

I would suggest the area is the more important than the mascot. Jets is not unique. There are countless 'Jets' around the world. In the Souths Juniors comp there are TWO Jets teams, Mascot and Newtown. Newtown Jets history and achievements are not affected by Ipswich Jets entering the NRL.

siv

First Grade
You don't get it do you.....Ipswich have been Jets for 25 years BUT NOT AT THE TOP LEVEL OF THE GAME! They were Jets at a Brisbane RL level at first followed by Qld Cup level in more recent times. They can remain Jets at a Qld Cup level, good luck to them, no problems there. If they make the step up to NRL level they should change names. Jets have competed at the top level, they were called Newtown! Its all about protecting the history and traditions of the game.

Greg - Newtown were only the Jets within a NSWRL based comp and this up until 1983. I think you wil lfind that teh actual Jet logo was only used with Newtown in the early 1970's also

So between say 1970 and 1983 you had two team playing as teh Jets. Ipswich in the QRL top level comp which are named after the airfoce base Jets

While Newtown played in the top NSWRL comp and are named after the New York Jets and in fact use the same logo still today with just the Y dropped off

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Queensland Spartans
images

greg

Juniors
Greg - Newtown were only the Jets within a NSWRL based comp and this up until 1983. I think you wil lfind that teh actual Jet logo was only used with Newtown in the early 1970's also

So between say 1970 and 1983 you had two team playing as teh Jets. Ipswich in the QRL top level comp which are named after the airfoce base Jets

While Newtown played in the top NSWRL comp and are named after the New York Jets and in fact use the same logo still today with just the Y dropped off

You're right SIV we were only Jets from 73. However we had a decade as the Jets in the NSWRL which was the premier comp of the time, the forerunner to what we have today. Records show the premiers from 1908 to today. The records are of the NSWRL comp, then the ARL comp, then the NRL. The QRL comp did not evolve into the current day NRL, the NSWRL comp did. Thus my argument that Newtown should be the only Jets at the premier league comp of the day. Ipswich being Jets at a state level is fine.

greg

Juniors

greg

Juniors

You're right SIV we were only Jets from 73. However we had a decade as the Jets in the NSWRL which was the premier comp of the time, the forerunner to what we have today. Records show the premiers from 1908 to today. The records are of the NSWRL comp, then the ARL comp, then the NRL. The QRL comp did not evolve into the current day NRL, the NSWRL comp did. Thus my argument that Newtown should be the only Jets at the major league comp of the day. Ipswich being Jets at a state level is fine.

BDGS

Bench
You're right SIV we were only Jets from 73. However we had a decade as the Jets in the NSWRL which was the premier comp of the time, the forerunner to what we have today. Records show the premiers from 1908 to today. The records are of the NSWRL comp, then the ARL comp, then the NRL. The QRL comp did not evolve into the current day NRL, the NSWRL comp did. Thus my argument that Newtown should be the only Jets at the premier league comp of the day. Ipswich being Jets at a state level is fine.

Couldn't agree more, this is my argument as well. Right on the money. It be like if South Logan tried for an NRL team, there is no way in hell they would be allowed to use the name 'magpies'.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Agreed, but for the reason's outlined by Greg i don't think they should. South Queensland somethings-Diehards makes sense to be.

It was sanctimonious nonsense. Sydney clubs do not have a mortgage on history and traditions as made out in this thread. Did his towel or whatever have 'Jets' or 'Bluebags' on it? Because if it had 'Jets' on it then it makes an absolute mockery of his clubs history considering that nickname was only used for a very short period. And, being the fashion of the time, was handsomely ripped off an American football team.

History my arse.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It was sanctimonious nonsense. Sydney clubs do not have a mortgage on history and traditions as made out in this thread. Did his towel or whatever have 'Jets' or 'Bluebags' on it? Because if it had 'Jets' on it then it makes an absolute mockery of his clubs history considering that nickname was only used for a very short period. And, being the fashion of the time, was handsomely ripped off an American football team.

History my arse.

Everyone knows that RL history in Australia begins and ends with a handful of Sydney clubs.

dgsfan

Juniors

History my arse.

My sentiments exactly. Whilst I know it was commonplace back in the day, to claim the history of it when it was only used briefly in the grand scheme of things and also when you havent been apart of the top level competition in close to 30 years is a bit rich.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Storm
Titans
Cowboys
Broncos

all much much worse

Names that have history and meaning are the best - names that were made up by some ponytailed wanker are always awful.

Come on, we're just itching to find out all the wonderful history and meaning associated with Knights of Newcastle.

beave

Coach
yeah, I asked the same thing a few pages earlier and I'm yet to be given a proper answer.

siv

First Grade

You will find in the mid 70's period Sydney and Brisbane clubs competed as equals in the Amco Cup mid week knock out

It was only from around 1979 onwards that the Sydney comp moved away from the Brisbane comp to be the basis of the national comp

BDGS

Bench
I thought the name Jets referred to the airport, planes would fly over Henson park to land at.

Latest posts