What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Ipswich & Newtown be heading to court ?

Bluebags1908

Juniors

The below quotes were originally posted by danmiles73 on this link: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=366921&page=24. I have also checked this out on the Trademarks website, which is applicable Australia-wide. I'm no lawyer but make of it what you will.

Actually, they could. Newtown have registered the Jets trade mark in classes 21 (for mugs, wine glasses and tumblers), 25 (for clothing, footwear, and headgear) and 41 (for entertainment services; sporting and cultural activities; education and training services; organising and conducting of competitions including sporting competitions; gaming services; organising and presentation of live performances and shows including music shows; entertainment services provided by clubs including night clubs; rental of sports equipment).

There is no registered trade mark for the Ipswich Jets. Therefore, Newtown, should they wish to, could stop the Ipswich Jets from using "Jets".

Interestingly, Newcastle United Jets (a soccer team) have their trade mark registered in classes 16, 28 and 41, but its use is limited to "goods relating to the sport of football (soccer)" and, following opposition from the NFL lodged in May 2007, excluding goods relating to the sport of American football.

mightybears

Bench
Glebe Rugby League football club do not exist anymore, so there would be no opposition to taking that name anymore.

Those who love tradition would just hope the NRL would force them to not be able to take the name.

agreed with all that, but a Qld team should continue a Queensland tradition, and Valleys as a SENIOR team is very not coming back, so South Queensland Diehards works.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
The below quotes were originally posted by danmiles73 on this link: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=366921&page=24. I have also checked this out on the Trademarks website, which is applicable Australia-wide. I'm no lawyer but make of it what you will.

Actually, they could. Newtown have registered the Jets trade mark in classes 21 (for mugs, wine glasses and tumblers), 25 (for clothing, footwear, and headgear) and 41 (for entertainment services; sporting and cultural activities; education and training services; organising and conducting of competitions including sporting competitions; gaming services; organising and presentation of live performances and shows including music shows; entertainment services provided by clubs including night clubs; rental of sports equipment).

There is no registered trade mark for the Ipswich Jets. Therefore, Newtown, should they wish to, could stop the Ipswich Jets from using "Jets".

Interestingly, Newcastle United Jets (a soccer team) have their trade mark registered in classes 16, 28 and 41, but its use is limited to "goods relating to the sport of football (soccer)" and, following opposition from the NFL lodged in May 2007, excluding goods relating to the sport of American football.

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!

Is that sanctimonious enough? It appears on the information above that the Sydney club in question does have a mortgage on the jets moniker in RL in Australia. Ipswich should be gracious they are allowed to continue to use it.

At least now those north of the Tweed can acknowledge that the use of the jets moniker in RL in Australia should begin and ends with the Newtown Jets RLFC, and rightfully so.

At last! Bluebags provides a well thought out response to an obvious troll thread perpetuated by some illogical posters.

Boy we have some legal experts here on this forum don't we.

The notion that Newtown may have a case against Ipswich for using a term they have consistently used for decades is absurd in the extreme. One needn't have any knowledge of law to see through the holes in any possible argument.

I'm certain we can expect to see an "it was a joke thread" statement or "doesn't matter, Ipswich won't get in" deferral from the OP sometime soon

No just some people who are able to use common sense in relation to a hypothetical scenario.

Obviously you need to re-attend school or spend a bit more time in the local library.

No, just that the hypothetical scenario I provided for discussion was a hell of a lot closer to reality than your "insightful" comments. At least your comment of "doesn't matter, Ipswich won't get in" is somewhat believable compared to your previous drivel in this thread.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench

A big thanks to Danmiles for that confirmation and thanks bluebags1908 for re-posting that. It seems all those saying Ipswich should be able to use the 'jets' name in the NRL have been silenced by this post. Rightfully so.

Paulie Jay

Juniors
Brisbane / Ipswich Diehards. Hmm... I think that the only problem with this name is that it will be just too easy for opposition fans to change it to Try-Hards once the team starts losing...

mightybears

Bench
Brisbane / Ipswich Diehards. Hmm... I think that the only problem with this name is that it will be just too easy for opposition fans to change it to Try-Hards once the team starts losing...

yeah but nearly any name has that sort of problem.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!

Is that sanctimonious enough? It appears on the information above that the Sydney club in question does have a mortgage on the jets moniker in RL in Australia. Ipswich should be gracious they are allowed to continue to use it.

At least now those north of the Tweed can acknowledge that the use of the jets moniker in RL in Australia should begin and ends with the Newtown Jets RLFC, and rightfully so.

At last! Bluebags provides a well thought out response to an obvious troll thread perpetuated by some illogical posters.

No just some people who are able to use common sense in relation to a hypothetical scenario.

Obviously you need to re-attend school or spend a bit more time in the local library.

No, just that the hypothetical scenario I provided for discussion was a hell of a lot closer to reality than your "insightful" comments. At least your comment of "doesn't matter, Ipswich won't get in" is somewhat believable compared to your previous drivel in this thread.

:lol: You're a classic, acting superior when someone else has provided you with evidence for your argument. Spare me the arrogance, you're a lightweight.

Newtown obviously have their affairs in order regarding their name and trademarks. Whether this would translate to being able to stop Ipswich from using the Jets name in legal action I'm yet to be convinced. I guess it would depend on how hard both parties would push the case. If the bid team has designs on the Jets name I'm sure they would have pursued legal advice regarding the matter.

None of this changes anything in regard to history and traditions. Your claim that the name begins and ends with Newtown is laughable. With a whopping nine years head start on Ipswich in using the name, they can hardly claim some monopoly on the term. The community of Ipswich is closely linked with the RAAF Base at Amberley and the squadrons that are based there. It was an appropriate name when the club was formed.

To make nothing of that link, whilst at the same time exaggerating the importance of the Jets name for Newtown shows how skewed your notion of history and tradition is. It is this which I find 'illogical' and 'obvious trolling'.

_Johnsy

Referee
:lol: You're a classic, acting superior when someone else has provided you with evidence for your argument. Spare me the arrogance, you're a lightweight.

Newtown obviously have their affairs in order regarding their name and trademarks. Whether this would translate to being able to stop Ipswich from using the Jets name in legal action I'm yet to be convinced. I guess it would depend on how hard both parties would push the case. If the bid team has designs on the Jets name I'm sure they would have pursued legal advice regarding the matter.

None of this changes anything in regard to history and traditions. Your claim that the name begins and ends with Newtown is laughable. With a whopping nine years head start on Ipswich in using the name, they can hardly claim some monopoly on the term. The community of Ipswich is closely linked with the RAAF Base at Amberley and the squadrons that are based there. It was an appropriate name when the club was formed.

To make nothing of that link, whilst at the same time exaggerating the importance of the Jets name for Newtown shows how skewed your notion of history and tradition is. It is this which I find 'illogical' and 'obvious trolling'.

I wasn't the one telling all and sundry what could and could not be done regarding the moniker Jets, that was you. I did not once say anyone was wrong, again that's your area. Acting superior, thats funny, if you perceive that from me telling you were wrong, well thats quite sad. Funnily enough what you took offence to is almost a direct cut and paste of what you said, but inserted anthoer clubs name. You fool.
Once again, it was a hypothetical scenario, and many offered their opinions. Just as you did, but you were wrong. No shame in that. Read the 1st post again & the thread and youll see what I mean.

You have been shown the information and link by another poster, you wont explore it and read it for yourself, and you are not convinced, keep your head in the sand. I doubt they would have sought legal advice on using the Jets name, they announced the bid before they completed the business or sustainability plans/models.

I claimed the name begins and ends with Newtown in a legal sense (Next time I'll make sure I bold the sarcasm). I said nowhere should Ipswich stop using it.I am well aware that the community of Ipswich is closely linked with the RAAF Base at Amberley, most people are. I have never said otherwise.

I have not exaggerated the importance of the Jets name for Newtown as you claim, read the post I spoke of clubs histories. I notice you neglected to adress that. Believe me I understand history and the traditions that go with the history, this is where you are quite the hypocrite. You accuse me is disregarding Ipswich's history, yet you attempt to denigrate Newtown's.

If you want to find the troll look in the mirror you ignorant twat.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
Desert QLD'er

Are you also aware that the Jets moniker is also relevant to Newtown. When it was changed in 1973 Newtown's catchment area extended to the sydney airport ?

It is also an appropriate moniker for Newtown to use.

bobmar28

Bench
I'm fairly certain that Newtown used the name Jets because of the fact that planes fly over Henson park, if not over then pretty close to it. Not because another sporting team in another country in a different sport used the name.

Isn't that why Ipswich chose their name? The nearby RAAF base.

bobmar28

Bench
agreed with all that, but a Qld team should continue a Queensland tradition, and Valleys as a SENIOR team is very not coming back, so South Queensland Diehards works.
It seems like you agree QLD needs a team. They just have to pick a name you like.

bobmar28

Bench
OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!

It is not hard to find an opinion to support your own argument. As I said I doubt Newtown would spend the money trying to stop Ipswich using a name they have had for 25 years.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
I wasn't the one telling all and sundry what could and could not be done regarding the moniker Jets, that was you. I did not once say anyone was wrong, again that's your area. Acting superior, thats funny, if you perceive that from me telling you were wrong, well thats quite sad. Funnily enough what you took offence to is almost a direct cut and paste of what you said, but inserted anthoer clubs name. You fool.
Once again, it was a hypothetical scenario, and many offered their opinions. Just as you did, but you were wrong. No shame in that. Read the 1st post again & the thread and youll see what I mean.

You have been shown the information and link by another poster, you wont explore it and read it for yourself, and you are not convinced, keep your head in the sand. I doubt they would have sought legal advice on using the Jets name, they announced the bid before they completed the business or sustainability plans/models.

I claimed the name begins and ends with Newtown in a legal sense (Next time I'll make sure I bold the sarcasm). I said nowhere should Ipswich stop using it.I am well aware that the community of Ipswich is closely linked with the RAAF Base at Amberley, most people are. I have never said otherwise.

I have not exaggerated the importance of the Jets name for Newtown as you claim, read the post I spoke of clubs histories. I notice you neglected to adress that. Believe me I understand history and the traditions that go with the history, this is where you are quite the hypocrite. You accuse me is disregarding Ipswich's history, yet you attempt to denigrate Newtown's.

If you want to find the troll look in the mirror you ignorant twat.

The name Jets begins and ends with New York. New York Jets 1963. Newtown Jets 1973. Ipswich Jets 1985. It's all history now.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Desert QLD'er

Are you also aware that the Jets moniker is also relevant to Newtown. When it was changed in 1973 Newtown's catchment area extended to the sydney airport ?

It is also an appropriate moniker for Newtown to use.

Just like Ipswich, the RAAF base is part of Ipswich - Ipswich Jets catchment.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Okay morons you're going in circles now. It's bloody simple. Ipswich gets to use the Jets name if Newtown doesn't fight it. If Newtown does fight it Newtown will win, it has the copyright, that's what copyright's are for.

BDGS

Bench
Isn't that why Ipswich chose their name? The nearby RAAF base.

Yes it was, but that was in response to be people saying Newtown just stole the name from New York, which was definitely not the case.

See below comment.

The name Jets begins and ends with New York. New York Jets 1963. Newtown Jets 1973. Ipswich Jets 1985. It's all history now.

Latest posts