What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Jarryd Hayne become one of the greatest Australian sportsmen of all time?

Tinkler

Juniors
****just in breaking Hayne news*****

reports coming in Jarryd Hayne farted last night....about 7.05pm

unsure how this will affect his chances of playing Monday

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Phar Lap is the greatest athlete in Australian history closely followed by Minto Jesus in 2nd and than daylight to the other donkeys.

If he doesn't get injured, Jarryd Hayne will be a big hit in the NFL. Kick and punt returns will be his focus for the main part of the season, and he has the ability to make a big impression in that assignment. However if San Francisco's first choice running backs Carlos Hyde or Reggie Bush get injured, don't be surprised if the Minto Jesus gets more game time as a running back.

LatK7

First Grade
:lol: you are seriously geniused...

Short answer is no... but pointless ranking them anyway - Greg Norman :crazy:, Gary Abblett (as a non Australian, I don't even know who he is - Liverpool fullback? I though Craig Johnston was the Aussie Scouser?)

Heard of Margaret Court??
Ken Rosewall? Norman Brookes? Lew Hoad? Emerson won grad slam titles as an amateur - he's over-rated on that basis - Rosewall, Hoad flat out greater

I like tennis - but there are a bunch of cricketers too (Miller, Lindwall, Lillee, Chappell G, Ponting, Warne, McGrath for a top of the head start)... if you like Rah Rah then John Eales - and a few others...

Johns also is not the #1 league player, surely? The other 'immortals' achieved more

And, of course Craig Gower

Was hoping someone would mention Ken Rosewall. Absolute champion.

JJ

Immortal
Can't you read the contents of a not very long post? I said explicitly that I was not ranking them. You would fail high school English comprehension with uncomprehending responses like that.

Ok - but you said great, then had Greg Norman on the list - and had Emerson and NOT Rosewell, Brooks, Hoad...

And you left off probably Australia's greatest sportswoman Margaret Court

JJ

Immortal
Phar Lap is Aussie,Quade Cooper is Kiwi :cool:

Sorry fella - Phar Lap - kiwi - who's Quade Cooper?

Clarrie Grimmett Kiwi too, and most of Bart Cummings' Cup winners :D

Needs to be some list like this that includes the great Bart Cumming btw

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Sorry fella - Phar Lap - kiwi - who's Quade Cooper?

Clarrie Grimmett Kiwi too, and most of Bart Cummings' Cup winners :D

Needs to be some list like this that includes the great Bart Cumming btw

:lol: We might as well steal Kane Williamson as well:cool:

Ok - but you said great, then had Greg Norman on the list - and had Emerson and NOT Rosewell, Brooks, Hoad...

And you left off probably Australia's greatest sportswoman Margaret Court

You still don't get it. I was not trying to provide a comprehensive list of great Australian sportspeople. I was using those 13 names -- men and women, gay and straight -- as illustration of the class of sportspeople that Jarryd Hayne possibly could be compared with in the future.

If Jarryd Hayne succeeds at kick/punt returner then he will start to be mentioned in the same breath as lightning fast kick/punt returner benchmark Devin Hester. Then you will know that Jarryd has arrived in the NFL, and you can start to put him in the category of Australian all time great sportsmen.

If you want to see the video that the NFL has made, interweaving highlights of Jarryd Hayne in the NRL and highlights of his NFL preseason, go to this location,

http://www.nfl.com/videos

and then go to the dropdown menu for Most Popular. Jarryd Hayne video is in the lower right hand corner.

Awesome.

big hit!

Bench
If he doesn't get injured, Jarryd Hayne will be a big hit in the NFL. Kick and punt returns will be his focus for the main part of the season, and he has the ability to make a big impression in that assignment. However if San Francisco's first choice running backs Carlos Hyde or Reggie Bush get injured, don't be surprised if the Minto Jesus gets more game time as a running back.

you called?

and just wait til Hayne gets a game even, f**kin! pre-season was pre-season. Niners have 5 players listed as RB on their 53 man roster, and not all 5 will suit up in the 46 on game day. Despite impressing in pre-season tiddlywinks, Hayne is the one most likely to miss. he won't get a snap at RB in a 'live' game until his blocking and running style (i.e., low) have improved further. They likely won't take Hayne into the game as a PR/KR unless they're confident he can be used on a 1st, 2nd or 3rd down too. Could be a bit early for that me thinks. Remember, for all his athletic ability, rugby league background and great open-field play, he's still a rookie at this game.

Latest posts