What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Nathan Cleary surpass Andrew Johns as the greatest ever halfback to play the game?

Will Nathan Cleary surpass Andrew Johns as the greatest ever halfback to play the game?

• Total voters
Johns was an outstanding halfback no doubt. But he only really dominated at State of Origin level occasionally. Don’t get me wrong when he did dominate it was awesome… but he wasn’t even the first choice halfback at times… eg Toovey was selected ahead of him.

If Cleary can steer the Blues to more series victories, and dominate Qld for the most part, he’s got a chance of bettering Johns. He was selected young, and with a few series under his belt… absolutely caned Qld this year. And was sorely missed in game 3… and we lost.

Like Captain Apollo said, it’s too early to assess but nonetheless a good topic to chew over.

soc123_au

Staff member
This time 2 years ago I was hopeful he could get to a similar level to Cronk. I think he has hit that mark now and still improving. He doesn't have the natural ability of Joey, but his work ethic is second to none. This could be a very interesting conversation in another 5 years, but right now, no.

soc123_au

Staff member
Cleary is a good defender but he’s not on Joey’s level there either. Joey would pick up and dump big blokes on their ass weekly.
Both fantastic defensively in their positions, but different styles. Joey put on more big hits, where Nathan is still strong one on one, it's his cover defence that is the standout. Very hard to call one as better than the other defensively.

Valheru

Coach
Johns was an outstanding halfback no doubt. But he only really dominated at State of Origin level occasionally. Don’t get me wrong when he did dominate it was awesome… but he wasn’t even the first choice halfback at times… eg Toovey was selected ahead of him.

If Cleary can steer the Blues to more series victories, and dominate Qld for the most part, he’s got a chance of bettering Johns. He was selected young, and with a few series under his belt… absolutely caned Qld this year. And was sorely missed in game 3… and we lost.

Like Captain Apollo said, it’s too early to assess but nonetheless a good topic to chew over.

Cleary hasn't dominated QLD though.

Turbo, teddy and latrell have.

Cleary hasn't dominated QLD though.

Turbo, teddy and latrell have.

I'd suggest in games 1 & 2 this year he absolutely did. When he was out in game 3, we went from destroying Qld to being beaten by them. His loss was enormous. But that said - both Cleary & Johns had "mediocre" starts to their Origin careers. Cleary has copped a bit for his early origin games but many forget that Johns' first series was in 1995 against a decimated Qld side that beat NSW 3-0.

We've currently got the whole of Johns' career to reflect on, while the majority of Cleary's career is yet to happen. "IF" Cleary can put in many more dominant performances for NSW in time, many series wins etc, and continue/exceed his current form at the Panthers & get a few titles under his belt - I'd suggest he does indeed have a shot at consideration as the better halfback when he's finished his career. That's just my opinion.