What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will souths make the 8 next year

Will Souths make the 8?

• Total voters

Eels Dude

Coach
They won't make the 8 next year, but they're taking a step in the right direction. With Shane Richardson and Shaun MacRae at the helm I believe they'll improve to around 11th or 12th next season. They'll push very hard for a spot in the 8 in 2006.

Johns Magic

Referee
Eels Dude said:
They won't make the 8 next year, but they're taking a step in the right direction. With Shane Richardson and Shaun MacRae at the helm I believe they'll improve to around 11th or 12th next season. They'll push very hard for a spot in the 8 in 2006.

Agreed. However, every season "Souths are going to make the 8 in 2 years time".

Iafeta

Referee
No chance, whatsoever.

The only teams I can see finishing worse than them are the Tigers who I think have lost a lot of key experience in Sattler, Senter, Mears and Moodie, the Sharks who just look an ordinary outfit, and Canberra who look berift of ideas under their coach.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Broncodroid said:
the loss of Paul Stringer is a major blow up front Cusak or not.

This is not as big a loss as some might think. Stringer had a bad attitude at Souths for the last year and a half. To go with that his injury concern with his back is the reason why Richo never attempted to re-sign him. The big loss for Souths is definately Justin Smith who when playing added mongrel to the forward pack.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
yep justin smith was a massive loss for souths he always put everything in when he played

and no they wont make the 8

pcpp

Juniors
I think they'll be another Cowboys.

10th or 11th the next two years
Then scrape into the 8
and become the fairytale of the 2007 finals series, with the Dolphins :D

Souths won't make the top 8 in 2005

No decent 5/8 and not enough depth to cover injuries.

Also recruitment has been aimed at the future with young players like

Michael Greenfield (Sharks Flegg)
Peter Taylor (aka Owen Craigie / Dean Widders lovechild) (Roosters Flegg)
Ray Moujalli (Roosters Flegg)

Paul Hewson said:
Broncodroid said:
the loss of Paul Stringer is a major blow up front Cusak or not.

This is not as big a loss as some might think. Stringer had a bad attitude at Souths for the last year and a half. To go with that his injury concern with his back is the reason why Richo never attempted to re-sign him. The big loss for Souths is definately Justin Smith who when playing added mongrel to the forward pack.

Stringer is injury prone, good luck to the Eels in actually getting him back on the field.

Justin Smith also hardly played in 2004 due to injury and his discipline is very poor.

In my opinion neither player is a real loss.

No chance.

However, I expect them to be up there in 2006 once Richo and McRae get to have a fair crack to buy whoever they want. This year they were a bit rushed in the transition period. As has been said, they've been buying some great talent for the future.

lazza

Juniors
izzo said:
Souths have a good side on paper
but its up to them to play consistantly

what does this mean really.. "good side on paper"

i think every side will look good on paper if you know the names..

u can go thru a squad and say he's good and he's good too, so why r they losing?

well i think it simply comes down to the ability to play as a team and team chemistry.

izzo

Juniors
Stranger said:
izzo said:
fletch harrison ben macdoug luke macdoug cusack hegarty williams peter taylor geddes

Yeah you cant tell me with a list like that, their only stars that they will do well. And isnt Adam Macdougall there?

Feltch has been injury prone lately with mad dog. Hegarty has spent a long time on the sideline lately so there isnt much chance of the staying fit is there?

yep my bad on the ben should be adam

well injuries can happen to every side so hopefully souths bad luck with injuries cease lol

izzo

Juniors
BlueNGoldBlood said:
yep justin smith was a massive loss for souths he always put everything in when he played

and no they wont make the 8

actualy not true,

i was speaking to david tapp earlier this year and he stated that Justin Smith isnt commited hence why souths let him go.

he hides himself on the field hence his 1-4 hitups a full game he had.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Souths look stronger next year but then again so do most clubs. They are going in the right direction off the field but as someone said earlier they need better players in the key positions of fullback, 5/8th, halfback and hooker.

Joe Williams will be better for the experience he gained this year and there are big raps on Sutton to fill the 5/8th spot. Walker IMO isn' the answer at hooker. Harrison, Minichiello and Fletcher make up a good second row. They have a good side on paper, will pull off some upsets and will be competitive week in, week out against the weaker teams but I dont think they have the consistency or the depth to challenge for a top 8 spot.

Parramatta, Cronulla, NZ and Manly all missed out this year and these teams have all recruited heavily for next year and their playing rosters look alot better especially the Eels. Add the teams that did make the 8 like Canberra and Nth Qld and the fringe clubs like the Tigers and I think Souths will struggle to finish better than 11th.