What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will storm survive long run?

ash the bash

Juniors
Just curious?
With AFL as popular as it is there!! Storm could no way beat the market but could create it self a niche in the market which i believe is happening!!
and what do you think you will average in crowds this season!
My tip is 9k :oops:

joshreading

Staff member
For the Sotrm to become totally viable long term what sort of base corwd figure do you think is needed.

I think that 15 thousand is needed and is acheivable.

This low period for the Storm is the key to its survival. If it can grow consistently with minimum success when success does hit it will boom with a much better fan base core group.

Something does need to be done with the grassroots areas of Victoria though.

Routy21

Juniors
For the Storm to survive we need to be successfull on the field, therefor we need Craig Bellamey for as long as possible!!!!

Mark Rudd

Juniors
13-14 thou would be a good start. I'd aim 5years down the track for that one.

And Bellamy will be leaving next year.

Stormin Norman

Juniors
i think some of the novalty has worn off thats y crowds were a little down this year. we just have to keep winning to slowly increase the crowds a little.

BTW DAVE HUSSEY <--- 214* and we got the 6 points GO VICS

Surandy

Bench
Stormin Norman said:
i think some of the novalty has worn off thats y crowds were a little down this year. we just have to keep winning to slowly increase the crowds a little.

BTW DAVE HUSSEY <--- 214* and we got the 6 points GO VICS

Crowds were up in 2003 compared to the low point of 2002.

In 2002 Storms crowds averaged about 8,800. In 2003 we averaged about 9,800. I'm going from memory here but I'm fairly sure those figures are pretty close to correct.

Surandy

Bench
Damn, I was a bit off with those figures.

Home game average crowds for Storm:

2003: 9,626 (Graveyard still but Bellamy's first year as coach of Storm)

2002: 9,088 (back at the Graveyard but with Murray as coach)

2001: 11,969 (at Colonial, now know as Telstra Dome)

2000: 14,622 (includes 2 games at the MCG)

1999: 12,902 (does not include home final crowd of 15,653)

1998: 12,716 (does not include two home final crowds of 18,247 & 12,592)

DIEHARD

----
Melbourne need a proper reserve grade. Maybe run in the NSWRL. And they need local talent badly. Victorians will come out to support their boys. Also Melbourne deserve concessions from the NRL. Keep at it Storm, we all love you. :D

ash the bash said:
Just curious?
With AFL as popular as it is there!! Storm could no way beat the market but could create it self a niche in the market which i believe is happening!!
and what do you think you will average in crowds this season!
My tip is 9k :oops:

I think the NRL has got a niche market here!!!. although crowds are small for the RL teams. I think RL had a negitive gain when channel 9 got the AFL but i think the Storm is here to stay. I was one of those Victorian Born and Breed that is a mad keen about storm.

My honest opinion about crowd sizes to make it viable in Melbourne!!. anything around this year average and above is viable!!!.

Dani

Immortal
if the storm was to fold, i think we would have a rabbitoh type situation on our hands. ie, mass rallies and things like that. im telling you i'd be first to organise one. storm is my lifeline people....

Cloud9

To survive,
-the crowds must improve (even slightly).
-need the backing of news ltd.
-be competitive on the field to keep the crowds interested.

-build interest - media, grass roots promotion, schools, training clinics etc.

Surandy

Bench
Cloud9 said:
To survive,
-the crowds must improve (even slightly).
-need the backing of news ltd.
-be competitive on the field to keep the crowds interested.

-build interest - media, grass roots promotion, schools, training clinics etc.

I agree with you Cloud9, but I also think the Storm needs the support of the state government, and that's not likely to happen unless they get a true minister for (all) sport.

I see this argument about the state gov needing to help us rearing its head quite regularly. In what capacity do you expect them to??? We are a privately run organisation. The only thing we need from the state gov is a fair go in terms of facility upgrades and the like, as they can benefit the entire state sporting community. Other than that, what can we expect, they get nothing really out of us

Dani

Immortal
IMO, if the storm win more matches, it will bring bigger crowds. look at the crowd averages after we won the premiership. so i think more needs to be done about free tickets and things like that, i know its been said thousands of times but its true...

Surandy

Bench
steaming stormer said:
I see this argument about the state gov needing to help us rearing its head quite regularly. In what capacity do you expect them to??? We are a privately run organisation. The only thing we need from the state gov is a fair go in terms of facility upgrades and the like, as they can benefit the entire state sporting community. Other than that, what can we expect, they get nothing really out of us

Basically I'd like to see new facilities, eg. a stadium designed for sports like rugby league and soccer.

Aside from that.....perhaps some lobbying in regards to tv and radio coverage. The Vic govt were happy enough to do this for tv coverage of afl in non-afl areas.

I know these things are very unlikely to happen but a guy can dream can't he?

Surandy

ash the bash

Juniors
I hope you do get your crowds up!!
We need the storm to survive, another thing with the storm they may not get alot of money of gate recits but i think they make alot of money since they have alot of corporate support and run the club like a good bussiness. My prediction is that the storm are there to stay :lol:

Surandy

Bench
ash the bash said:
I hope you do get your crowds up!!
We need the storm to survive, another thing with the storm they may not get alot of money of gate recits but i think they make alot of money since they have alot of corporate support and run the club like a good bussiness. My prediction is that the storm are there to stay :lol:

From a financial aspect I hope that the Storm aren't affected by the troubles their primary sponsor is having.

Adecco's parent company based in Europe had some accounting problem.

Latest posts