What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will "The Man" Ever Play NRL Again?

Will he or won't he? (play footy again)

• Total voters

gregstar

Referee
dallymessenger said:
choc was a special player.

with a lack of five eigths now for nsw, barring anasta, if he was playing to the level he showed before leaving RL, he would be the nsw origin five eigth.

hes making too much money in boxing to come back

yep.

mind you - he'd need his mouth sewn shut to get the blues jersey.

Gee_Up

Juniors
dallymessenger said:
choc was a special player.

with a lack of five eigths now for nsw, barring anasta, if he was playing to the level he showed before leaving RL, he would be the nsw origin five eigth.

Let's be clear Greg Bird in the current NSW and Australian 5/8 (until Locky returns). Bird is twice the player Anasta could ever be. Anasta could never dismantle sides defences like Choc could and can't cement the NSW 5/8 jersey even with such a lack of talent in that position.. second fiddle to Barrett and now second fiddle to Bird- his only hope is when Fittler takes the NSW job that will be handed to him by Nick Polit.. I mean the NRL.

With Choc's eye injury I'd not expect to see him again.

LESStar58

Referee
Choc flags a return to RL every other week. Well, maybe not but it's once every year or two and he gets interviewed and talks about how we wants to be a premiership player in addition to being a boxing champ.

It'll never happen IMO. He's well into his 30s. So in RL terms he's old and busted. Different breed of five-eighths playing the game. He'd get his arse handed to him by the current crop of pivots (Ingliss, Anasta, Bird, Lockyer etc).

The other factor is the salary cap. He's gonna honk is own horn and request some marquee player salary that no club will be prepared to give him!

LESStar58

Referee
Godz Illa said:
He played 3 Origins.

Yeah... and I beleive he played hooker in all 3 of them. I know he certainly filled a dummy half roll in game 2 (which I went to).

rabbs

Juniors
Never started a game in origin,played off the bench,never at 5/8,lucky to get a run.

Godz Illa

Coach
lol changed your tune so quickly rabbs. NFI
The point is he did get a start at rep football. Those three Origin sides all boasted both Daley and Fittler. Must have been playing pretty damn well to be picked, considering they already had two five-eighths and he was a hated loudmouth

rabbs

Juniors
Godzilla NFI,he never made a starting line up,played off the bench.With Fittler and Daley in the side he was never going to play 5/8.As i said he would only have played at maybe centre because he wasn't a 5/8's bootlaces.

Godz Illa

Coach
lol way to go pal, maintain the rage. He was a five-eighth when he earned the Origin call up which suggests he was pretty good at it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't need Mundine, his spirit lives on in the Roosters #11 jersey from next year ;-)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
about as much chance as Big Willy has of being a professional boxer

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Godz Illa said:
You forgot that witty bootlaces line that time.

What witty bootlaces line? :? That was the first post I'd made in the thread :-s

Gee_Up

Juniors
Let's see Mundine kept Barrett out of the Saints 6 jersey and Barrett kept Anasta out of the NSW jersey..

Ribs

Bench
Dont forget that Wayne Pearce was Origin coach when he played. The worst coach in the history of origin football (including Redonikis).

Mundine was easily the first choice 6 when Barrett was at Saints in 1999 and until he quit in 2000.

If you bothered to watch him play instead of just dribbling, you'd notice he was a better ball distributor than any of the current 5/8s.

The Preacher

First Grade
Well said Ribs.

The bloke had too much self promotion for my liking, but by f**k he could play, and his centres never had to worry about going looking for the ball.

Latest posts